Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tayguer84

tayguer84 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC
    I registered to add that RMA'ing did nothing to help. I waited for two weeks with althon micro and the new card has the same problem.

2. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

update
    my 7870 sapphire that i have black screen with it in my config work perfectly in my brother config :
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX (with latest bios)
    AMD FX-8150
    16 go corsair vengance 1600
    850 watt aerocool psu

3. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    i've tried downloaded Sapphire Trixx and slightly tune up the power li (+3)..(no change in clock speed)
    and the result is~~no crash for the past 3 days~~
    im not sure if this is a permanent solution~will observe and report~~

4. Obee Loc

Obee Loc Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD6870 2GB
    Why does the thread on the AMDforum keeps getting erased ?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I would assume they reach a post limit and it's locked or archived away, of course if there's a lot of complaints and general aggression or how to say it (I don't mean anything severe like outright flaming or trolling.) they might delete it, some of these types of forums can be a bit sensitive about certain things, or well that's my opinion and view about it at least, I'm sure there are exceptions. :)

6. terryys

terryys Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870
  7. youcantcme

youcantcme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
    Wanna hear back from Terryble

First of all to the people fighting in this thread, take a chill pill we're all here to help each other out. So im interested to hear more about terrybles results with slight power adjustment. I am about to throw my arms up and return this card too, because i went for a couple days with no crash, then Bam. Started up again out of nowhere, and it always seems to be some kind of simple animation triggering the event. A flash based piece of website content, The interactive leader screens in Civ V. The weird thing is, i can play a high intensity game like Just Cause 2 for hours on end with absolutely 0 crashes. I am trying to play with slight power/fan speed adjustments right now to little success. Fresh install of windows 7 64 bit i am on now btw. Just of curiosity to anyone else on this forum, 64 or 32 bit OSes? Might be a problem with one or the other, id install 32 bit in a heartbeat if it fixed the issues, sell 4 gigs of my RAM lol. Seriously though i have not bought a graphics card in years(since my 9800 GT), I bought a gtx 550 TI first and had issues with that, now I am banging my head against the wall with this thing. Whats a card that doesnt suck like these do and isnt more than 200 greenbacks?

8. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    Hy folks. I'm about to bay this card. And now, when I've read some of this posts I'm shocked, if i'm making a huge mistake. I'm not a big spec in this stuff, but have anyone tried to increase the voltage in order to make gpu more stable?
    P.S. Sorry for my english....

9. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    Maybe the voltage level is just too low. I've read about some similar problem (but radeon 7950) on one forum....

10. youcantcme

youcantcme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
    ^

^ its possible the voltage levels are a factor here, but i have experimented with notching mine up 5-10% and it does not seem to fix the issue. Besides this i dont really want to run my limited warranty graphics card over voltage and at locked in clock speed forever. One reason i dont suspect voltage however, is that i can play a high intensity action game like just cause 2 (be jumping from planes n ****) for an extended period of time with no crashes. Civ V? Forget it, crashed in 15 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion though

11. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    a very good point, you should be ok as long as you restore the default settings before you RMA if you have to go that route. sorry for the pessimism but i have a hard time believing that this is a simple matter of voltage. maybe i just have too much faith in AMD after all but if the crashing was that easy to fix i think they would have figured it out by now. this problem has definitely been marginalized with the latest drivers which makes it harder to troubleshoot. i am down to about 1 black screen a day while playing Skyrim and i game a lot.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just got black screen and brief looping sound while watching a movie.

UVD was bouncing the memclock between 300-1370mhz when it happened.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Isn't it meant to stay at 300 during hardware accelerated video playback?

Then again maybe you paused or browsed the web and it altered after that, of course it should be able to handle it without crashing but I was just curious as I believe UVD has a set clock speed and don't really work all that well if this is attempted to be bypassed, might just cause the video player to crash though instead of doing a Windows VPU error.

14. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    7870 Black Screen issue update

workaround fix:
    1)update BIOS

2)update soundcard drivers
    (win 7 update doesnt do those for you, you have to manually update it)

3) use 12.7 Beta driver, install all but do not install Accelerated video transcoding
    (I noticed when I opted to try 12.8 from 12.7 Beta, only 12.7 beta has an option not to install that...)

4) then turn off all hardware acceleration in your browser.

with that, I had my longest run of a month and a week before experiencing the black screen problem again.

naturally I experience it by a week or two.

I'm a 7870 non-OC user.

currently I'm trying...
    updating chipset driver
    using 2 separate 6pin atx instead of the single dual 6pin atx

would update as soon if something good or bad comes up :)

share your updated experience too :)

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I was watching a movie in PowerDVD.

Might have been just switching power states and not UVD....

16. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Can you point me to the bios download with which you updated?

17. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
  18. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    amd-catalyst-9-00-august-9-ccc-fix

19. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    On benchmark3d com

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Heard back from the RMA I went through with last Friday, ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4403501&postcount=197 ) it seems there was indeed some problem (No details but it wouldn't have passed otherwise since they have to test it first.) and now they've sent the replacement, will be interesting to see if this improves things or if it's indeed something with the drivers, maybe both, I don't know but it's good to hear back from them about it being OK'ed for replacement.
    (Won't arrive until Monday since not much happens during the weekends with our postal service but that's OK, no additional costs or so either.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.