306.02 issues with overclocking.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dnottis, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    So last night I went back to 306.02s for some more testing of those strange crashes I'm having where the monitor goes into "no signal".

Overclocked to +132%, +150 core , +400 mem. I've been using 132%/180+ core /400 mem through the 304.xx drivers without an issue and my GPU is watercooled. It doesnt break ~42ish (c) even in summer during EVGA OC scanner, Kombuster or Furmark.

So I ran EVGA OC scanner, crashed. Dropped to "no signal" then I rebooted. I dropped all settings to default on GPU. Ran EVGA OC scanner for about 5 mins no crashes. Bumped only power to 132%, ran EVGA OC Scanner crashed - stock core and ram, bsod NV driver error. Duplicated with Kombuster at this point, same NV BSOD.

Played with only power @ +132 everything else (core / ram) at stock. Crashes ranged from drop to "no signal" a crash I've never had with any other driver to BSOD w/ nvidia driver error to "the display driver stopped responding".

Last time I ran it I crashed. When I went to boot up got 1 beep followed by 3 fast beeps - this is the telltale sign of GPU not working. I killed power, pulled power plug at wall for a few mins to discharge all power.

Powered back up without an issue multiple times now but as soon as I got back into Windows I went right back to an older driver. I can run EVGA OC scanner at 132%/ +180 / +400 without a problem and BF3.

Honestly, I'm scared of 306's at this point, something is definitely not right with them and I don't want to kill my GPU. These drivers have been problematic for me and I haven't had many issues with my 680 or any previous driver sets so I know the problem is definitely with these drivers.

Has anyone else experience the "no signal" crashes with these? Has anyone else experienced any weirdness with overclocks with the 306 drivers? The GPU has been fine ever since, whatever happened was the result of the 306 driver and the overclock.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    I have my card overclocked as you can see on my specs, using 306's without a problem. Just playing BF3 at this moment.

3. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I know a few others here were getting the no signal crashes, I believe they were all using 670/680s.

4. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

I had the same issue with them on GTX 580 SLI..but it was with CPU overclock not GPU. I would get no signal and pc would reset half of that time. I put CPU back to default 3.4ghz vs 4.8ghz and everything is back to normal. Very weird.

5. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Many people are reporting lower overclocks with the 306's vs 304's though, I think there is more to this.

6. nexus_711

nexus_711 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080 Twin X2
    I'm not able to overclock after first drivers for GTX 680. I was able to go up to +150 on core but now with these drivers card is not stable with +80 on core.

7. Willock

Willock Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti@2038MHz
    Thank god! I thought it was just me....

Strangely, like nexus_711, my ref Zotac 680 can only do +80 now :|

Guess its time to roll back to 305.68....:(

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Same issues here ,windforce GTX670. Can,t go over +100 core and +200 memory.

9. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Same issue here, adding mere 50mhz to the core, not touching the mem at all, temps all under 90 (barey any difference from the stock on the 470) and I get gpu restarts and no signal in mere minutes. Was able to go for +150 on core before

10. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    What do you guys normally use for power? +132?

I found with power at +132 and clocks at stock it was still crashing for me. But it was ok with everything stock. Its almost like +132% power was giving it less power than 0%. Maybe someone can try +110 or +120 and see if they can clock back to where they were before....

after mine wouldn't boot I'm not reinstalling 306.02s on mine.

Willock mines a Zotac too. Hrmm. I went back to 305's and played BF3 for awhile last night at +180/+400 without an issue though.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ dnottis - I have the power set to +132 MHz, have done since I got my first GTX 680, but I remember reading somewhere that it isn't always better to use the highest setting. I have a core offset of +150 MHz and a memory offset of +350 MHz which has been stable except for the odd rare Stop 0x124 crash I've had while playing Sleeping Dogs and Guild Wars 2. Not really sure what is causing them to be honest but I never thought to dial back on my overclocked GTX 680 settings to see if they were causing it.

12. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

I have two zotac GTX 580s fyi also oddly enough.