Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The most annoying thing when people try to tell you that op-amps are placebo. Then try to shove there opinions down your throat. Then most likely they never actually tried it or grab a bunch of op-amps off s company site instead of the most common and suggested ones.

Had the nerve to go that i prolly spent 1 s listen to them and it was just a placebo because i expected it to sound better. >_> I was wondering when he was gonna try the graph data non sense.

2. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Any thoughts on LME49990 vs LME49720HA? And is LME49990 available as metal cans?

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I haven't had a chance to directly compare the two but I like the LM497X0 opamps and I hear great things about the LME49990 opamps also. You would have to check out the data sheet to see if the 49990's are available in metal can. I am pretty sure they are not available in that version or at least not yet.

4. analogic

analogic Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 975/1200
    I am using LME49990 op amps in buffer circuits of the Asus Essence ST and H6 extension. Previously, I was using LME49720HA in those circuits.
    Honestly, I didn't notice much difference in sound quality between the two. However, my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 is a limiting component of the system.

By the way, AD797BR are in the I/V circuits on both boards. Excellent sound quality.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

5. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Ok, thanks for the info analogic and Robscix.

analogic, I'm using 49720ha in buffer in the ST, ad797 in i/v. Sounds great, I agree.

6. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    Not sure where your getting pricing from but the NEW CLASS D is about the same price as BURSON...

BURSON matched pair $179.95 pcX USD Price
    NEW CLASS D $84.95 pcX USD Price ea ( $170)

pricing from PARTSCONNEXION.com

7. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    Do yourself a big favor and try the BURSON's...I was very skeptical as well but after talking with them they offered to refund my $$ if I wasnt satisfied,,,
    The sound is open, extremely clean (after burn in) and was worth every penny

:) ...Obviously they are only going to be as revealing as your speakers will allow :eek3:

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Audio-GD Makes discrete as well, The Sun, Earth and Moon which are suppose to be good. I recall Robscix having one of them so he should beable to give better detail.

9. z3d

z3d Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX680
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I've read all the pages of this interesting thread (it's quite long!) and I need an advise.

Currently I'm running my Asus Essence STX with a pair of cans (Ultrasone HFI 780) and with a pair of stereo monitor (M-Audio BX8 D2); I'm really happy with my loudspeakers but I find them a bit too cristalline, even harsh! When you listen to something and a music is going to high frequency, you feel that the sound become annoying because it should stop to reproduce the higher frequency (or reproduce them in a more soft way) but it surpasses this limit and I would like to change that swapping the Opamps of my STX.

What would you advise for the I/V and the buffer?
    I've read good feedback about 2x AD797BRZ as I/V and 1x 49720HA as buffer, what do you think? It could help me with that "problem"?

Thank you for your help guys :)

10. Aurhinius

Aurhinius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 680 SLI
    Suggestions for the I/V section of my titanium HD - OPA627's? LME 49720's? - ADA797?

Using HD650's through Marantz PM6004

Probably like to clean up the sound a bit but maintain some warmth without loosing base.

If I can't get an improvement the other way to go is digital out to a schiit bifrost - would that be better? Have to buy the bifrost first.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

11. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I have the Marantz PM6003 and Wharfedale speakers. Using 3 LME49720HA's and the sound is much clearer than the stock opamps with plenty of bass. Then again, speakers will have a big impact too.
    Hopefully tomorrow I will try an experiment.
    Stock JRC in buffer + 2 x LME49702HA in I/V.
    LME49720HA in buffer +2 JRC2114 in I/V.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I wouldn't say the card has any warmth on its own with the default setup. I would've rather described it as analytic, depending on the phones even "shrill".
    I haven't heard an OPA927 but I had a pair of 637s in my HD and I didn't really like them (preferred the stock JRC opamps).
    Even my discrete Audio-GD Sun opamps don't give the HD the typical "warm" sound I knew from these opamps before (for example on the Auzen HTHD or Forte). It's clear, tight, but not exactly warm or forgiving.

13. Aurhinius

Aurhinius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 680 SLI
    OPA 627's sorry was a typo - yes maybe not very warm with stock hence the desire to try something different.

Might just get rid of it all together and go with the bifrost DAC.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea i knew switching op-amps and what not wasn't doing it for me any more, other then having a collection of op-amps that I had to get rid of. I kept wanting more so that's why I left op-amp switching in favor for a external dac amp to get the sound signature i wanted. I haven't look back since I happy with what i went to, Now if only i can solve my minor issues with using a source as a Digital Transport.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, I guess if you feel you're not getting anywhere it would only make sense to get rid of a piece of hardware and try something totally different.
    I had an external amp before and I'm happier when I can have the same performance from an internal soundcard.
    A completely external DAC and amp sound like a great solution but it might also be much more expensive. It's worth a try of course, especially if you like to have the choice between different sources.

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Well true if you buying a external dac/amp brand new, but if you look around on differnet forums. You can get them used much cheaper. That's how I got this NFB-12.0 Rev 2 for $160 instead of $215 minus shipping and I still have warranty with it too.

I am much happier with this NFB-12 any way as I can finally say that's enough, But yea I know the STX and HD are great cards. I had both, it just the op-amp rolling got old since I could never get the sound signature the exact way I wanted. Like I can on this NFB-12.0 Rev2's Jumper pins.

in case you notice the only reason the DG is installed as I using it as a Digital Transport, As my onboard spdif has major volume issues where it sends sound out at half volume that related to a driver bug that VIA doesn't seem to care to fix. Tho It was a driver issue with the DG as well that I was able to fix with a older set of Uni Xonar drivers, Since any one newer then this old ver have half volume bug with Spdif out.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That's always a good source, I agree. I got my last amp, a LittleDot MK V, the same way.
    You're right though that it might be easier (and then even cheaper) to switch full DAC/amp packages until you find something you're searching for instead of swapping around opamps all the time (that may cost a fortune but don't get you anything more once you try to sell the item they're in).
    As I'm already very close to what I'm looking for I'll stay with my current package.

18. z3d

z3d Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX680
    Anyone has some advices about that? Thank you :confused:

19. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    My 2cents, I'm running the opamp combo you mention, I can recommend trying out the AD797 in the I/V. 49720HA is good in buffer, like the stock but better. Perhaps another opamp is better since you want to tone down the treble, the 49720HA is a bit aggresive in the treble, I've tried 3x49720HA, and I liked it, but I prefer it with AD797's in the IV. My impression is that they're more dark and analogue like, quite nice. 3xAD797 might be interesting to try if you wanna spend the money - they're a bit costly.

20. z3d

z3d Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX680
    Actually I should get as sample some LT1364 and AD8620ARZ, what do you think about them?

In Pm ROBSCIX answered to me that I should change the buffer with one with a bit more rolled off in the high end to get rid of the harshness which I feel at the moment, which is your advise?

I prefer to not spend much money just for trying opamps, I'd like to buy only the ones which I will use in my STX and your advises are really precious!

Which are the difference between AD797 and 49720HA? Both are good in I/V and Buffer? If no, why?

Thank you guys :)