Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Looks like it's already disabled.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes, that should do it. Also, as pointed out by Pill Monster, it looks like it is already disabled.

Though, if you are following the thread you will see that it does not work for everyone and may not apply to single cards at all.

I am not sure if MSI Afterburner functions as intended with this card but I did post instructions on how to completely disable power play on the previous page. This might prove to be a more effective way to determine if power state changes are at fault.

3. Luciferry

Luciferry Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7870 TF 3 OC
    i think ill try it your way... since i'm using MSI too....

thanks for ur reply

and thank for your too Pill..

---------

tried to change the value like your suggestion, but i got "access denied" notice....

sorry.. newbie here... T_T

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

5. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    Great card plays cod2/LoL/sc2/CS:GO perfect. The problem is that i get blue screens while playing dota2.

I thought its because i overclocked my cpu but i get them on default settings, the blue screens aren't really blue they are more like, a full screen light blue color.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

6. youcantcme

youcantcme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
    Possible solution for black screen issue, force downclocking to acceptable levels

So ive been browsing the net being angry at ATI for days now after purchasing my new MSI Radeon 7770, of course it had to be the lousiest edition available coming from tiger. Another poster suggested i post the possible workaround ive found for these lousy issues over here even though this is the sapphire forum. To be clear the card this is happening with is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3199442&Sku=M452-7774
    The card runs great in games like Just cause 2 where the game is utilizing the cards full potential of the 1ghz default core. The issue comes when playing a game like Civ 5 that might not necessarily need that 1ghz of power. After a while the card figures this out, and tries to be a nice guy and save your PC some juice. The problem is, the card does not appreciate downclocking from 1000MHZ to a lousy 300MHZ, the driver freaks out and shuts down, resulting in the black screen even though the PC might still be running (for example my sound frequently keeps playing fine) The solution? dont let it downclock so much. I am spending the day playing with finding my ideal clock speeds, because the factory speeds on this lousy version of the card makes it unstable at best. Once you know your ideal lowest operation speed, you can modify the config file for the card using Biohazardz181 steps below.

Steps to increase 2D clocks:

1. Go to CCC and enable over drive.
    2. Put your fan speed up if your case has poor cooling, In my case even forcing the card to run at nearly full speed for an hour didnt get it anywhere over 50. A different post i saw suggested upping the fan speed to 100% and the power by 5%. I would not recommend using that high of a fan speed, as you will likely not have a fan for long, try 50-60% if you really must. The power i dont see being an issue because the card runs other games at near full settings with no issues.
    3. Now close CCC. Open up task manager.
    4. Go to the Process Tab and delete CCC.exe and MOM.exe and any other process related to CCC or ATI (im not sure if he does this because the processes lock the config file or what, experiment you may not need to)
    5. Make sure you can see hidden files and go to the following directory, C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\profiles .xml and open it using notepad
    6. Look for :
    name="CoreClockTarget....."
    <Property name="Want_0" value="x0000" /> (x0000 is your idle-state core clock. The post i am taking this from recommends setting this value equal to Want_1, there are not many games that wont crash all on their own without the cards help being forced to a ghz like that (outpaces the memory) Instead, try to find your ideal min speed by seeing how high you can force that number too from the lower possible value, this is the speed you need Want_0 set to)

name="MemoryClockTarget....."
    <Property name="Want_0" value="y0000" /> (y0000 is your idle-state memory clock. Change the value to the one's in "Want_1" Once again not sure if you need to do this, the big difference for me was changing the core clock but this could possibly help)

name="CoreVoltageTarget...."
    Im not sure that you need to change this, the card runs dandy on its own without modifying this at a GHZ on some games, so i dont think upping the power will assist when you're lowering the clock.

Once youve made your changes in notepad, save. Now try to open another game, you may immediately get a crash (not a black screen one) upon doing so, if it persists do a restart and the issue will likely abate. Now you want to see what the highest speed you can run games at is without them crashing, force the downclock to be that speed and wah-lah, seems to have helped a ton

I will continue to post as i continue to test

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^It was me who suggested you post, thanks.

I'll just add that after the .xml is edited CCC needs to be reopened or the changes won't be applied.

8. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    This has already been suggested on page 1, thanks for the repost. It does not work at all.

9. youcantcme

youcantcme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
    Im pretty sure this works

To the replies.
    Thanks for pointing that out pill monster, im adding revised steps below and including that, I was honestly wondering why the changes in my config file weren't happening until i tried opening the CCC after modding it.
    To genesis: I realize a very similar answer is on the first page however I think they were on the right track and after tinkering I found this solution does seem to work for me. Perhaps it can help someone else with the same issue.

SO after experimenting ive tried to lay out the easiest to follow directions for locking in your GPU's clock speed.

1. Go to CCC and enable over drive.
    2. Put your fan speed up if your case has poor cooling, In my case even forcing the card to run at nearly full speed for an hour didnt get it anywhere over 50. You likely wont need to do this.
    3. Now close CCC. Open up task manager.
    4. Go to the Process Tab and end process on both the CCC.exe and MOM.exe processes (Note if you skip this the changes you make in the next part tend not to work)
    5. Make sure you can see hidden files through your folder options, and go to the following directory, C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\profiles .xml and open it using notepad
    6. Look for :
    name="CoreClockTarget....."
    <Property name="Want_0" value="x0000" /> (x0000 is your idle-state core clock. The post i am taking this from recommends setting this value equal to Want_1, there are not many games that wont crash all on their own without the cards help being forced to a ghz like that (outpaces the memory) Instead, try to find your ideal min speed by seeing how high you can force that number to from the lowest possible value, this is the speed you need Want_0 set to)
    In my case my card was default at 1Ghz max and 300 idle state. Telling my card to stay in 1GHZ all day was not realistic or effective, but so far i have had no issues running my games at 850 MHZ solid. You should notice in the CCC that it is not possible to set your clock speed lower than what we changed it to before.
    name="MemoryClockTarget....."
    You can play with it if you want, i found the more i messed with this the less stable things got so i ended up leaving this with the defaults of 15000/112500
    name="CoreVoltageTarget...."
    Im not sure that you need to change this, the card runs dandy on its own without modifying this at a GHZ on some games, so i dont think upping the power will assist when you're lowering the clock.

Once you have made all your changes, go ahead and press save in notepad. Then open the CCC again to apply and observe your handiwork, you should now notice you cant bring down the core speed lower that what you set it to.
    All we are doing here is telling your GPU to run at a constant speed. All of my games run great like this, occasionally the driver will freak out when going from a game to my desktop, but in game performance (what i care about) is solid. As for AMD this is inexcusable, i could care less about how power efficient my card is when it isnt even capable of down-clocking without disabling its driver. The only reason i havent boxed this one back up and returned it like the last two that pissed me off is that I actually got somewhere with this one after dumping in hours of my time. I really hope they release some new drivers soon that fix this crap

10. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Sorry, but from what I can see your suggestion is exactly the same as to what was suggested by biohazard already. Forcing the clocks to stay at a certain level by editing the profile.xml, I already tested this along with biohazard and several others in many different clock setups: IT DOES NOT WORK.

Believe me I want a solution to this problem, but the fact that you didn't crash yet is nothing but pure luck as I've had it for some time after I tried a new fix.

Of course it's possible that it works for your 7770, which is a different card entirely.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

11. Luciferry

Luciferry Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7870 TF 3 OC
    well... my card is in RMA process now...

i dont know, is RMA ing it will solve the prob.
    but reading this whole thread... RMA isn't a solution
    well i got my black screen while i'm playing guild wars 2
    no prob. while i just brows, watching video,
    im starting to wonder... will i sell my card (after rma)
    and buy a gtx instead...
    cos there's no fix solution from the amd yet....

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Correction; it does not work for YOU. Just because it doesn't work for YOU doesn't mean it won't work for others. ;)

13. Obee Loc

Obee Loc Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD6870 2GB
    Luckily I still had warranty on my card .The shop I bought it from agreed to trade my ASUS HD7870 for an ASUS geforce 660 ti 2GB OC , for just a little bit extra cash . Plus I also get a free copy of Borderlands II with it . Thanks 4launch.nl !!

14. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I get the kind of the same but its on my HD4xxx series! Doesnt happen during the game, but usually when im watching a film, screen freezes and i get that annoying sound in a loop. Only way it so reboot!

15. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    As I already stated in my post, me as well as biohazard and a few others you can plainly see in the first few pages tested this fix and reported back issues. Please try to learn very basic English skills and read the topic before you choose to make retarded comments.

ALSO: I think it would make sense not to mix up different card models in this thread, this thread is for the 7870. He appears to be using a 7770 and you appear to be using a 6970. I doubt it's the exact same issue and even if it is, I'd suggest that you maybe use a different topic to post solutions for ENTIRELY different models.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'd suggest you get a clue and stop being such a smart ass unless you want a permanent vacation from Guru3D.

17. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Great comment, I love how you're oblivious to basic logic and ignore anything that was said previously in all of your posts.

I'm really sorry that you suggested him to repost that not-working solution from the very first page, no need to get your panties in a bunch. You have been asked this before: Do you even own a 7-series card? If so, what model?

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Really, have you looked through 17,000 of my post's already?
    And if you think I'm going to scroll back through 200+ comments you are very mistaken, btw the 6xxx and 7xxx series are not that different.

Lose the attitude buddy, I won't ask again.

19. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    I ask again, do you even own a 7-series card?

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As far as I'm aware it is a 7000 series problem, however it gets a bit more convoluted since it's not just a specific 7970 model or such but instead users are reporting issues (From what I can tell.) for various brands of the 7700, 7800 and 7900 GPU's and from various manufacturers.

Architecture wise I believe the 7000 series is quite different from the 6000 series but I'm no expert, of course I also don't know how the drivers differ between the two (If at all.) but there has to be something (Like say PowerPlay for that functionality that nearly shuts down the GPU - even the fan - when usage permits such to happen.) and it seems certain drivers cause more issues than others, I hope the next beta or such resorts it and failing that I hope the issue is actually properly identified and clarified or how to say it, if it's hardware or software or both or well not really sure how to explain it.
    (I'm hoping the RMA I'm currently doing will work to improve the situation but if it's also triggered by certain driver functionality it might not fully resolve the issue but I'll see when that procedure is finished and the new GPU arrives.)

I guess it's a tricky problem and there's a number of possible suggestions which work with varying effectiveness, strange problem.
    (But again what do I know about these things, not much at all.)

Maybe it'll be sorted with the 9.00 driver builds?
    (Or whatever is causing them to still be in testing, must be something but it doesn't mean it's related to this particular problem.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.