3d gaming to my Vizio E3D420VX? How does this work?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Desi26, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    Hello all!

I'm a huge noob for the most part of 3d gaming and have only messed around a bit on a PS3 to my HDTV (Vizio E3D420VX), but not with my PC.

I play a lot of my racing, action games from my PC to my HD using a Xbox controller with no issues, but now want to venture into the 3d aspect, but had a few questions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Any PC game that has a 3d mode should set into 3d mode just fine connected to my HDTV? I seemed to have some issues trying to run BF3 in 3d as the HDTV usually tells me when a 3d device is trying to enable 3d and I can enable or disable it through the command prompts. It was like this through the PS3, but with PC games it doesn't give any type of notification.

I have 4 different types of 3d mode settings through the menu on my HD that I can manually set but not sure which to use...

I don't know what other information to give as I said, im a big noob with 3d, and have only had my HD for a few months.

Are there any recommendations I need to use to make the game work properly in 3d mode? Certain video settings in game? Can 3d work using a 1080p resolution, or strictly 720p? Is there a certain software I need to use, just to make the 3d games work?

I know I can use TriDef 3d to make 2d images 3d, as what I read, but just setting up a 3d mode for supported games is all im interested in.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

2. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Using a HD TV to play PC games in 3D seems to be a tricky one. PC games tend to be optimized for the Nvidia or ATI forms of 3D and to be used on a 3D monitor. I use a Benq monitor and the Nvidia glasses and emitter setup which works really welland I had no trouble at all with it, but I don't think this would not work on a HD TV as certain technologies like Nvidia lightboost is built into my monitor.
    I think HD TV 3D (lot of acronyms sorry) is more designed towards 3D films and consoles and use's a different 3D technology to the PC version, but I'm no expert myself on 3D and this is just a few observations from my time using it.
    Yes games do run in 1080p, but something like Battlefield 3 that you mentioned would need a SLI or Crossfire set to get a good framerate at high resolutions as the performance hit is massive.

3. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    Thank you very much for your input, as it justified what I have been thinking. Ive been trying to set this up for a few days now. Starting with my HDMI cable, which was 1.3, so opted for a long 1.4a standard, hoping it would have something to do with the HDTV not being correctly recognized, but still a no go. My HDTV has a VGA port, but no DVI (Which I also read may be one of the only ways to get a HDTV to work on PC)...

Guess I may just have to give in and get a 3d monitor also, although getting one large enough to suit my tastes would be expensive....sigh

4. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    The largest 3D monitor I have seen is 27" and that was Asus monitor that cost about $700 so not cheap. You also get the added bonus of 120Hz though so you can play games at a super smooth 120 frames per second with no screen tearing :)

5. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I also have a Vizio 3d HDTV. I have played 3d games from my pc when I had my AMD card installed. I used a 3D 1.4 HDMI cable. From all the stuff I tried it seems like tridef and Iz3D "Discontinued" were the only options. I was disapointed when iz3d threw in the towel "it worked". What also sucks is having to pay for the software after the trial but if you want 3d then its a must. Instead of having to pay more money AMD should have included a 3D driver since they advertise their cards as 3D capable. Anyways I probably cant tell you anything you already dont know. I moved to Geforce and the Nvidia control panel has 3D options for Steroscopic 3D for 3d HDTV's. Im not so sure you buying a 3d monitor will solve your problem. You will still need tridef to split a game into 2 images. Nvidia is the only company who supports their cards.. They have all the 3d gizmos you could want. Good luck.

EDIT: I Just got done trying Batman Arkham City in 3D on my TV and it worked flawlessly. All I had to do was install a Nvidia 3D driver and presto. My games can now be played in 3D on my TV without buying a new Monitor and shutter glasses. Which is good because after buying a 3D tv I was really hoping I wouldnt have to spend more money on Nvidias 3D Vision setup. Just saved me around 800 bucks and I get to play on a 42 inch screen.

On a side note. Atleast you can still download 3d Movies or watch youtube in 3D on your TV from your PC just fine. Too bad about the gaming.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012