AMD Catalyst 12.8 (8.982.0 July 27) AMD Official WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    lubley jubley nice boost to Skyrim FPS I used to get 45~61fps now it gets 51~81 using these drivers and no flicking/flashing textures and the HUD looks fine too everything in it's right place

Thanks Asder

2. Jujubee

Jujubee Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1060/6GB

I'm using a Powercolor 5850 and I get the same bug in the Sleeping Dogs demo.
    Also do you get any glowing effect(Jesus Effects :nerd: ) around the character models like this guy here:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41323231&postcount=5191
    When I was playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood with 12.4 drivers, I get the same glow effect on character models and it's quite obvious during close ups in cutscenes.

3. enxofre

enxofre Guest

GPU:
    6770m 2gb
    hi guys! i have a question. today i tried to update my drivers to 12.8.

i have an hp dv6-6190sp and i previously had the 12.3 drivers mobility. But when i was updatig to 12.8 i got a bsod. And the drivers got all messed up. so i had to restore my laptop. Tried to update again and same bsod. but this time i couldn't restore. So i uninstalled the amd drivers. Then i went to hp site to download their graphics driver. After downloading and installing, i went to see the version and it says it is the 12.8

my question is if the drivers i have are the new 12.8 from amd. plz help

4. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I had these artifacts on BF3 for 1-2 weeks when I bought the card. I haven't ever seen them again.

If your card is fairly new, let it work a little normally, without oveclocking etc. Like the process when you buy a new car/bike. I don't know how you call that process in English.

I'm not saying it's normal for GPUs, but this is what seems that happened on my card. Now I can play for hours at 1100Mhz without any of those black artifacts. I'll get similar ( worse, not exactly the same ) if I overclock the VRAM over its limits and the temp goes up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

5. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    Just in case this hasn't been found yet...

I found a possible temporary fix for Firefox + hardware acceleration + crossfire. I made a custom profile in the drivers for firefox.exe with crossfire set to disabled. For almost an hour now Firefox is doing just fine with the 12.8 drivers and hardware acceleration enabled.

Try it.

Edit: Still no issues, I'm calling this a success.

6. Kanashi

Kanashi Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 TFIII OC
    Tried the demo today maxed and had none of such issues, SSAO on high didn't produce any side effects.

I seem to have less problems in games than on the desktop:p I made a topic about it but maybe I'll just ask here as it seems to be driver related. Do any of you experience a bit fuzzy desktop performance after installing catalyst drivers? Sometimes, I can see VERY brief sharp lines/figures (sometimes black-ish, I think) when I close/open windows or minimise/maximise a web page a couple of subsequent times. There are no slowdowns but due to this closing different windows looks a bit jittery. They leave some random sharp patterns - it's not always easy to notice. I'm a bit worried, this is the only problem I have, no BSOD's, driver crashes, black screens etc. I had this issue with web browser flickering and tearing but raising 2d clocks helped.

When I unistall the drivers the problem goes away.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Again, you have an Intel CPU and switchable graphics. This means you need to have both the Intel graphics drivers and the AMD ones installed. No driver coming directly from AMD will support that setup. Only the driver package provided by HP or a hacked version from another source will work correctly.

Having said that, if the version number is being reported as 12.8, I'm sure that's what they are. It really doesn't matter all that much though unless you were having problems with an earlier driver. It is not mandatory, even though many say it is, to always have the latest drivers.

8. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    4090 watercooled
    So any idea when AMD actually does some NEW drivers. These are month old already and technically almost same as RC 1 drivers..

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with "breaking in a card." You cant "break in" hardware. Either it works, or it doesn't. There's an issue somewhere in the drivers or possibly in the hardware; I'm really not sure..

I know about the artifacts he's talking about. I see it in COD Black Ops. I happens rarely on 12.5 betas...it does happen yes, but its very rare. It happens MUCH more in 12.7's and 12.8's. But the 12.8's load the maps much faster than the 12.5's, and have higher minimum FPS (tested by swapping D3D driver files into the BO folder). So you can bet your buns that's related.

It doesn't happen in COD4 at all, not that i can tell.

I've never seen these black flicker artifacts in Battlefield 3, and I've looked for them extensively with 12.8's...

Ok I just did some more tests.

First of all, I KNOW its a driver issue now. I just downclocked the card to 500/500, and it still does the black flickering just as much in Black Ops.

I then copied the 12.5 beta D3D files in, and I noticed 2 things clearly.
    1) The maps load *MUCH MUCH slower* (when already cached in RAM, with both sets of driver files) on the 12.5 betas. MUCH slower.
    I can actually say now that the 12.8's load the maps up to 3x as fast (cached), but the "waiting for players" pause (When shader warming is enabled) negates a lot of that, since that pause is long no matter what.

2) When I went to my test spot to test for the black flickers on 12.5 betas, there were NONE at all as long that I could see. 12.8's would have them visibly at a pretty semi common rate. There was some 'texture flicker' that was present on the thin ropes, however, on both drivers, but that was just on the ropes itself. (almost like the shadow tone of the rope kept changing slightly).

But the key thing was, just how fast the maps loaded on the 12.8's compared to the 12.5's. So something is definitely going on here. I have really no idea if the speedup is related to maps loading data into Vram instead of main memory, if the Vram is being used as a cache or something, instead of main memory or what. It's pretty strange. I'm going to have to check the memory usage in GPU-Z to see if I can notice anything else...

--------
    Ok something else slightly interesting.
    On 12.5 betas, GPU Memory usage in Black Ops, on my Crisis map (in practice match, 1 player) was 518 dedicated, 332 dynamic, and computer memory usage was about 1.347 GB (1,347,xxx MB).

With 12.8 drivers, GPU memory usage was 552 MB dedicated, 360 dynamic (may have been a bit less tho before I alt tabbed, not sure), and computer memory usage was 1.328 GB (1,328,768 MB).

So there is definitely some difference going on with GPU memory usage and system memory usage. It's not much, but clearly there's something going on.

Still don't see why it's loading maps so much faster on the 12.8's (the ones that give those black flickers you guys saw in Witcher 2 and other stuff).

I explained already how to extract and copy the 12.5 beta D3D files into the Witcher 2 folder. Can you please test this and tell me if the levels load SLOWER on 12.5's (no flicker) than on 12.8's? (OR, you can use ANY game that you saw flicker with on 12.8's and none on 12.5's). You should have the savegame/level already cached in RAM, so you should do more than one load.

Remember if you have a ghz edition card, the pure 12.5's installer probably wont detect the card, just start the install for the 12.5 drivers (make sure you're already USING 12.8's though!), and extract the 12.5 D3D driver files (start installing the setup and then cancel it and browse for the AMD folder on the C: root drive, and open a command prompt by right mouse clicking the folder while holding down shift), by using Expand atiumdag.dl_ atiumdag.dll, etc etc and copy atiumdag.dll and atidxx32.dll (and maybe atiumd64.dll and atidxx64.dll, and if ur worried, aticfx32.dll and aticfx64.dll) into the same folder as the game EXE. Delete the files (move them to another safe place) to use the normal 12.8 D3D's.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  10. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Flickering like crazy!

Any eyefinity users getting flickering when mixing displayport and dvi panel three way hookups? For me goes away with vsync is forced on but at least Skyrim is finally using all my gpus and much improved..

11. sk8er_boi6000

sk8er_boi6000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X 3GB
    Don't know if it's just me but the quality of these drivers seems to have taken a massive nosedive, keep crashing.

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    no, never use the cat # as a basis, ONLY the driver packaging version

[​IMG]

12.4 already had issues for some people where it wouldnt write the cat # so it showed your previous one only

13. eeelectric

eeelectric Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD6770M
    The link for 12.8 Mobility Win 7 64bit seems to be broken! Any mirrors?

14. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Yeah, glow is present :)
    I've read some forums and people say that 12.3 work fine with Sleeping Dogs - no artifacts whatsoever. But I don't feel like rolling back because of one game when everything else works just fine :)

15. mdcobra

mdcobra Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7970
    Well I waited to try these drivers after the 12.6WHQL/12.7 beta disaster, but 2 days ago installed them. I have to say they work very well, played BF3 and Sleeping dogs. No GSOD or other crashes.

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    you dont need to roll back, just use 12.3's dx10+ dlls (aticfx32.dll & atidxx32.dll), put them where sleepingdogs.exe is

17. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Oh, thanks :)
    Can anyone upload these two dlls? Can't really download 12.3 any time soon :(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  18. XiThRyL

XiThRyL Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ ACX
  19. homarck

homarck Guest

Not sure it is related to the latest driver. I have BSOD 0x00000124 when I accessing flash page sometime in both IE and FF. All of them are in latest version already. I can play games several hours without problem, only got the crash when browsing webpage with flash, especially play facebook games....

20. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Raise the vcore on your CPU or raise (or depending on your chip, even lower) CPU PLL voltage. Video cards don't cause 0x124's or 0x101's.