Apple awarded One Billion dollars in suit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Palerider, Aug 25, 2012.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Rolf and cause ethical is something a capitalist is gona give 2 ****s about

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Get real eh? Got any real experience in the industry or do you just play one on a forum? Being a business, does not absolve it from behaving in an ethical manner. Not sure what planet your 'real' exists on.

"A nine-person jury spent two and a half days puzzling out its final verdict. Jury members used weeks of notes and memories of testimony, 109 pages of jury instructions, and boxes of evidence, including a collection of contested smartphones and tablets as their guide.

The jurors had to complete a complicated 20-page verdict form filled with charts and yes or no answers to determine exactly which device violated what patents and which companies were responsible. Finally, they had to calculate the final damages amounts.

Each side was given 30 minutes to go over the form and search for inconsistencies. Judge Koh and Samsung spotted a problem with the damages amount for a Galaxy Tab model. After being sent back to the jury for reconsideration, the total amount of damages was bumped down by about $2.5 million, to $1,049,343,540."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/tech/mobile/apple-samsung-case/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Summation? Looks similar, lets go home. :banana:

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    My opinion angers some obviously.

However, I do like Apple.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    evidence like that is as good as "Oh, these people made a phone...and apparently phones are popular, lets make a phone too! Oops, just got sued, guess we can't make phones...."

as much as i can see similarities in the iphone to samsungs phones, i also see all of the dissimilarities, for instance, no one button, and that's a pretty dang big change

i really hope something just comes along and destroys apple to bits

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Passive aggressive. LOL :banana:

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What it comes down to is Apple has patented stuff that shouldn't be able to be patented, due to dodgy patent laws that favour it because it's an American company. The real question is, would Samsung have been able to take the same patents out in America if they decided to do it first? Would Samsung have been able to get as much in the court case as Apple if they won?

The answer to both of the above questions is 'no'.

Look at the face of the phone. It is LITERALLY just like the top part of an old flip phone. The other things like double-tap to zoom etc should never have received patents. Apple is just having a little sooky-fest over the fact that they actually have competition from a company that produces a better product.

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
  8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well to be fair, your first post was pretty condescending. Not everyone is just an armchair lawyer with a flawed understanding of the system's inner workings.

9. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Anything looks 'damning' when it's been cherry-picked to do so.

Where are all the other Samsung devices, why are we just seeing the ones someone deemed looked most 'damning'? Why are they shown strictly from the front, rather than the back and sides for reference? Where are the home screens, the actual ones that is - not an icon arrangement made to look as close as possible to Apple's iOS default.
    The fact that the US patent system is FUBAR isn't an excuse for Apple, or any company for that matter, to act like douches.

Obviously the knee-jerk reaction has been something along the lines of "companies have to do everything in their power to make money at all costs", possibly worded a little more diplomatically, but it's funny how that was perfectly possibly for the entire industry without all of this before Apple came along.

Yeah sure, there were always litigation - though not for the express purpose of driving competing products off the market. And certainly not regarding such absolutely trivial things as square-shaped objects and re-implementation of trivial functionality on touchscreen devices.
    Except it isn't good for business.

Disregarding the costs required to drive these courtroom affairs to begin with there's no point where this will end up as more sales.

People, that is - potential customers, are either not going to care either way (because they were always going to buy Apple anyway) or build a negative connotation to the company name.

I know I did after all.

I never personally enjoyed Apple's products, as they didn't fulfill my criteria for gadgets I wanted, but I always commended them on quality and didn't shy from recommending them to friends and family when I considered it appropriate.

Not so anymore.

Yes yes, one person and all that but I'm hardly alone in this and when we're talking about the people responsible for recommending tech stuff to a wider circle of people it stops being a negligible impact.

As for the entire ethics argument that doesn't wash. Even if it were true, and I don't subscribe to that notion, you can't just flaunt a complete lack of ethics and not expect it to come back and bite your behind.

To be fair though, Apple is hardly the only company who has a difficult time understanding that.

Point is, there aren't any people without a prior platform bias that are going to go 'oh gee, that Apple company seems like just the thing for me' after reading about this. There's no financial upside.
    While I agree with all of that most of Apple's patents that get bandied about in these cases takes one of these generic and well-documented features and tacks on "...on a touchscreen device." at the end.

The fact that's case enough for a separate patent (or a patent at all considering the functionality in question) is, of course, ridiculous. However, it is what it is.

In the end I'm at the point where I believe Apple as a company has to be torched to the ground (figuratively speaking, obviously) to protect the consumers.

And then there's the completely ridiculous notion that Apple would have somehow lost money over this. As if someone who went out to buy an iPhone would have somehow ended up with a Samsung device instead.

But hey, what do I know right? Maybe that 'bounce-back scrolling on a touchscreen device' was the only thing that made people choose the iPhone over a Samsung device in the first place... :3eyes:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Yeah, that. There is no justice is the world. Never was, never will be. And courts are pointing to the same direction.

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Phones were garbage before Apples came out.

It was a game changer. It forced people to re-think them and improve them.
    I don't think we would have half the things if Apple didn't do it.

I don't think even Android would be as good as it is without Apple. It's forced them to create an alternative.

As for Samsung. They do take a lot of design options from Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having said all that. NO technology is a brand new technology. It all builds on what is currently there. That's just how things work in General.

I don't agree with the amount of suing that go's on. When they all use someone elses design at some point. The entire Patent system is broken, and I think it's pretty obvious to everyone.

12. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    whose business? yours? too bad that the customers make your business and the customers are not pleased by faggotry like that.

p.s. the article on wikipedia about the guy that made the first ever touchscreenpad thingy is gone. shame to think any big company had something to do with it

touchscreen from kubricks 2001
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also finchwizzard are you an applefan? you are linking a picture that is positivly censored. it does not include some of the designs and phones samsung released prior to ipad/iphone that do look like the iphone. is that something you intended to do or why do you leave it out?

13. Heavens Dragon

Heavens Dragon Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    [​IMG]

it was the just the time when touchscreen phones are getting some good products and iphone release during the same time along with many other touch screen phones like LG Prada,samsung F700 etc....and just b'coz apple is big brand the iphone got very famous and world started to see as iphone as 1st phone with touch screen.

apple responded in today's verdict that "stealing isn't right", yeah i wanna know wht they will say abt the notification system they introduced in ios 5.

14. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Of course it is cherry picked. Since those are the products they are seeking damages for. Why should they shot products for which they aren't seeking damages?

I don't think the shape of the phone should be considered that big of a deal, however, I have always wondered if the Android's home screen was a copy of the iOS.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Gotta love Samsung's statement! Rectangles with rounded corners... :D

16. Heavens Dragon

Heavens Dragon Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    andorid home screen dnt have icons in it unless u put some ur self,

here android home screen from early version of android

[​IMG]

still the same, it'e media which shows the open app drawer of an android phone vs the iphone's home screen

and FYI android existed since 2005

17. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    There is quite obviously money changing hands here between important parties involved. Anyone who doesn't think so is painfully naive

Like deltatux said, that much evidence sorted in 2-3 days.....

18. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    US company vs Korean company

home field advantage, always was like that and will be

Get that case sorted out by Korean court and i bet my Haribo Bears that Samsung will be on top.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Anyone else see the resemblance to Blackberry phones in that "Blackjack"??

20. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Screens get bigger bezels get smaller.. phones would have always ended up like every rectangular smartphone now (sorry, like an iPhone) regardless of Apple doing it or not. It's a screen with as little body as possible, how much room for variation is there?