AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. pixoide

pixoide Guest

GPU:
    Powercolour HD5850
    flash player is also a lot better for me. If this is what little changes make to these drivers then I can´t even imagine what's up ahead xD.

2. wolfmenace

wolfmenace Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5970x2 2GB DDR5
    just a clarification ,

with single card you mean also single cards with 2 GPUs like for example 5970 are ok to use with this driver release?

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Dual-GPU cards still use CFX, so it's still not recommended.
    You're probably welcome to try, though.

4. wolfmenace

wolfmenace Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5970x2 2GB DDR5
    I have tested the drivers on 5970x2........

I have to say it was a horrible experience.... scared me to death..... it was like a small nightmare for me and my 5970 :bang:

I dont know what is causing the problem , either the cleaner utility or the drivers but I think was the cleaning utility that causing this mess....

I used the cleaning uility and then the experimental drivers and everything installed fine.

When computer booted my monitor was in the dark , I could barely see my desktop in order to click on something..... After sticking my eyes to the monitor I manage to open the catalyst control center and voila i got LIGHT!!!!!

After a few mins i tried to play some games , diablo iii and skyrim were playing fine , tried to ALT+TAB nad BOOOOOOOOOMMMMM Lights offfff , everything become dark again.......

After that I immediately removed the drivers..... using again the cleaning utility.

The strange thing is that i installed the latest beta drivers , the ones that were working fine on my system and WTF??!?!?!?!? again the same problem , my screen goes dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---- PANIC ALERT ------- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang::bang::bang::bang:

In order to solve this problem I had to use ATIMAN uninstaller and that fixed my problem and the latest beta drivers were working fine........

That is my experience on my 5970 with this drivers........

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ...exactly why I told you it's not recommended.
    Welcome to the world of custom drivers.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    No CFX/TFX/QFX/2 gpu cards are not atm yet at recommended list they will require their own driver setup. Core driver was not developed to "high-end"
    hardware in mind as it's based on DX9 and so CFX setups will fail to function as they supposed to.

I am working on it hitting new driver up, asap, we have enough drivers currently having issues atm on finding the functional ones out there for
    different areas seems the video issues are pain nothing is working correctly as far I can see on past 6 months of drivers which is a bit back breaker I have to say.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    While you're at it, TwL...is it possible to investigate DXVA functionality on Mobility cards, specifically the HD 5xxx family?
    With 12.4 onwards including 12.7 Beta, DXVA plays fine with desktop HD 5xxx (as in my 5770), and Flash videos are no longer green with hardware acceleration turned on.
    Unfortunately, it's still the same story with my 5650m.

I've tried your set, 12.7 Beta, and 12.6, all under a clean installation, the results are still the same.
    It's fine on my 5770, but not on my 5650m.
    I've given a thought that it might be due to something on my laptop, but then I tried your 5.10 release, and it worked a charm on my 5650m as I've remembered it; no green Flash video, no blank DXVA playback, no crashing WinSAT on media playback test.

Any ideas?

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, AMD is working something weird for laptops, atm, anyway. So, I'd say they are on it as basically they've had now like last 3 drivers completely new set on video.

-----

Mouse Response: Fail to mention as someone above mentioned about mouse response by assuming high-end graphics as much I'd like to take credit I am
    sorry, but that is bogus information as I haven't gotten that far on modification. Core driver is good and it will progress faster, but sadly that effect is temporal only.

atm, testing 12.7 for 2 days.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aw, heck.
    To AMD, I mean.

:(

Anyway, thanks for keeping us up with your progress so far with yours, TwL; really appreciate your past works.
    Maybe I'll just keep using your 5.10 for my 5650m.

10. szubster

szubster Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 OC
    I can't install these new ones on my girlfriend's PC with HD4670.
    Any help?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You might want to explain the problem.
    Despite his magical abilities with driver mods, TwL hasnt got round to reading minds yet.

12. szubster

szubster Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 OC
    It's the same as with official AMD drivers.
    There is no drivers for GPU before 5xxx series since AMD moved them to legacy package.
    But because of statement in TwL's post:
    I thought this one would work.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ummm....use 12.4?

14. szubster

szubster Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 OC
    ok, totally understand and did that way.
    But the statement in post is misleading.
    I though that "magically" you have found a way to run them on older hardware.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    True, that.
    I don't have anything older than my 5770 so I wouldn't know if it really supports them.

DNA (Do Not Argue, another custom Catalyst set) seems to also have a problem supporting older cards using 12.7 Beta as a base.
    AMD might've hard-coded the drivers to exclude older cards support, so any *.inf modifications won't be suffice.

By the way, don't try DNA sets if you guys are still feeling inconvenienced with TwL/genetix sets.
    The easiest custom set to work with is Xtreme-G (remove the dashes), but personally I like TwL's tweaks better.

But, until AMD decided to release a newer driver that supports those older cards, I can't see how they can be supported via 'traditional' *.inf modding.
    Maybe another 'Frankenlyst' like 5.10 is in order? =b

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I didn't add the old cards for 2 reasons: 1. I did not wanna leave new cards out of drivers and use my old modified inf files and 2. I did not add old
    hardware to new drivers because I was not sure of unfunctional new features (which seems to be none existence), if I can get drivers working
    properly then yes I will add the older cards to drivers this means I start to understand the new before it gets old.

I was working through the video section. I cannot get the new CCC to work properly and as long the applications goes through CCC they as some one
    referred ""Magically"" works better when you got 40MB AMD bloat software running on background. Problem yet again is applying the settings. The CCC
    on past 6 darn drivers from AMD none apply the settings correctly that goes to the MPEG issue as well drivers themself does work as long it's a true
    desktop driver and not these laptop mixups on video de-/encoding. What goes to 3D performance well the last decent driver was 8.980.0.0000 or
    B139213 and even that is broken a bit, so, can't build an a decent modified driver at it by any means it seems and by the time I would get through it's
    issues the new drivers from AMD would be faster like the beta's, atm, are and the currently WHQL ones are pretty damn restricted to anything.

So, there's current update for where I am. Testing takes incredible much time and seems I just cannot come up with similar solution I had at 5.10
    older drivers we had before the cut on working with drivers in this topic.

Offtopic:
    As for DNA drivers well, if those fellows can muster some drivers heck take all advantage of them please. Since, heck atm I am 100% sure they
    would beat my modifications clean up.

Hopefully, they have 12.7 betas modded with new stuff and "more clear" view on the new modules than I do, atm, as damn some of the new AMD driver
    modules are one big soup using laptops as mixing spoon. After all the drivers there I believe are build a bit differently and actually modified code than I do
    things around here.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  17. KuriaN

KuriaN Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4650
    Has Experimental Build v5.15 mobility support?

18. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    Tried the Experimental build and it works great!
    Had to lower my overclock a bit, but its very very nice :)

EDIT: The driver gives me sme flickering from time to time though..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It has Mobility support, but I think HD 4xxx and older are not supported since it's using 12.6a as a base.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Downloading V5.15 Experimental Build now, will test it later when I get in from work.

Does it support HD7970 as I see on the first page that it says its for 2xxx - 6xxx cards. But I see other HD7970 owners using this driver too.

Also, what does it improve... frame rates? stability?

Its been a long while since I tried out a TwL driver. I used to test for you way back when I had my 4870x2 and I think you were still using 10.x driver builds.

Thanks, will report back after some testing :) Its great to be back helping out TwL ;)