Watch NASA's live coverage of Mars rover landing

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Watcher, Aug 5, 2012.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Also I hope that NASA have a vessel of sorts that can land and return so if in the event that they find anything that doesn't have similar traits to the fad of the (was it the 80's) which was My Pet Rock then maybe they can justify there 2.5 billion ipad with wheels.

I apologize for such negativity but there are bigger problems and what not that need to be addressed on earth first, while taking into account if mars could one day be habitable it would be of no use other then temp storage for a species that got it's priorities in the wrong order. Mars is only around half the size of earth and by the time when can survive there we will be sitting down watching the six o'clock news listing to the talking heads about the overpopulation of mars/earth and for calls for further planet exploration, then the mandatory story of blue on blue on green attacks in the middle east.

The biggest mistake one can make is the over reliance on the belief that learning to walk before running is the only way to make progress, but as history has proven this can at times serve only to teach that the window of opportunity can be wasted if your not prepared to take a risk and reach further than whats already at arms length. Its easy to take baby steps but in a world that is running out of time, simply saying easy does it and slow and steady wins the race is no longer a comfort we have.

2. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i half agree, i absolutly love space exploration but with the global economy as it is with people losing jobs and homes we just through 2.5 billion at a dead planet.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    We live in a world were we get told to tighten our belts and to only live with in our means, take public transport its good for the environment we're told, but then they go and spend more money on roads instead of said public transport. Economy is broke but hay lets spend money on (80 million NZ) on a war memorial for a war that happened in the 40's, but dont forget people - remember to live within your means. A city ravaged by an earthquake - people a year later still waiting to hear back from insurance companies who are trying everything they can to avoid payouts to people who are homeless living in motels some still having to use porta-loos, But lets spend 18 million NZ on the cities local cricket/sports ground coz that'll help lift spirits, but don't forget to live within your means.

Enjoy your pictures of Mars and co. But we live in a world where the only relevance in continuing the Human Species.ltd is for some corporation to find a way to patent it. The only things we learn from our mistakes are more advanced and violent ways to execute them. For 24 years i have watched ad after ad about poverty in africa, now in a world where we claim to be moving foward, poverty is now in my and yours backyard. But if pictures of dust and rock bring you peace then just wait a bit longer and you'll be able wake up to it every morning when you get up to search for food and water, as dust and rock is all that will be outside your front door.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Do you have a source on that?
    So why cant they fill in the blanks? Or just have waited until full picture was received?

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16051.html

They likely haven't bothered because no one cares, or rather, they haven't released it to the public, because no one cares.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    ^^ You might as well! They could be hiding stuff for us..Tiny marsians trying to destroy robot or something like that.

8. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Are You really that clueless? Or are You 12 ?

9. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Good way to get banned around here.

10. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Haha, what?

I'm pointing out thats why there's gaps in the photos, no one cares about the gaps, the photo is amazing as is.

I am enthusiastic about the MSL, but good job jumping instantly on the defence there.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Really?Actually you dont get infractions/banned on Guru3D for having an opinion unless a moderator asks you not to talk about something in particular unlike some other forums like *cough*Ocuk*cough*.

Anybody remember the 1976 Viking Mission to mars that flew high up in the Martian atmosphere and took plenty of pictures?

Well some of the pictures caused massive debate,notably the City of Cydonia and the Face on Mars,i was going to post this long ago but waited for the right time,no better thread than this one to post it.....take alook at this conspiracy theory.
    http://raphaelonline.com/Marsface.htm

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    There is so much room for those theories, it's because we know so little about our self, not to mention other things, even about Earth for example, or exact number of species on our planet, and list of them as another example, etc, etc.

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Would it actually surprise anyone if our history had been altered to hide something? Like that has never happened before!

We are so easy to believe in a god or in a feeble theory like Evolution. Why not that we could be a genetic experiment/engineered by an alien race (I hate using the word alien as it conjurers up the wrong picture). We were mixed with Homo species from Earth and the rest is the alien DNA. We are the aliens.

Maybe they needed slaves. Maybe we are an experiment. Who knows. Ancient civilisations had more of a clue and better tech than you might release. We think we are all that. We are not. We have lost so much that is for sure.

I know alot of you will dismiss alot of this but it is a possibility just like all the other theories. It's a good one too. Look it up.

Don't be surprised if we find that it's US that has already been to the Moon, Mars and other planets if by our own means or another.

It would not surprise me at all if we are not being told the truth and their are pyramids on Mars and a base on the Moon that they 'bombed' recently with that missile they fired a few years ago for an 'experiment'.

I can't convince ya. I'm not convinced myself as I'm not that daft to blindly follow something as I have done that in the past but just do yourselves a faour and look it up at least. Stop being so damn narrow minded! :)

I hate to post a link but maybe just to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_603uf3Ixg

Sit back and get a drink :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Before this slides OT more talk about the actual mission is required as opposed to alien origin theories.

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Very true. But still, what is the reason for doing this. To find life. We all want to know why and how.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Ancient bacteria on Mars did not create life on Earth. I doubt they will find any signs of life, but I hope they do.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure they already determined that amino acids could form during the early stages of Earth from inorganic compounds that were abundant back then. Things like hydrogen sulfide and stuff.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

It's possible that early Mars had similar conditions.

19. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Well if pluto could have been pulled out of orbit from Saturn (it's a moon not a planet) and swung out to the outer regions of the solar system (as they now believe), then who is to say that Mars has not 'moved'. Maybe it was in the goldilocks area at one stage.

Or maybe not... ;)

20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It's intriguing all the same. The pictures are truly awe inspiring!