so why buy the 6xx series ? (august '12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Alias, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Makes me feel like they are AMD's drones doing reputation management...

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well given that in the longer run most folk aren't going to be able to tell the difference in raw gaming performance then it really means the reasons come down to a few other factors.

Some folk will buy a brand because that is what they know and they know what to expect from it on the other hand some will avoid the same brand because of previous issues.

Other deciding factors may also be the range of IQ options that the various drivers offer, I know some prefer the IQ of AMD some prefer Nvidia. Cuda support, maybe not quite as important but the Nvidia cards do it as standard so I guess that covers a few games that use Cuda, and I guess SLI and Crossfire support, not sure if all boards support both as standard.

As for me why would I go for Nvidia, well I fall in to the buying what I know brand, all the Nvidia cards I've had have worked without issue, so I'd stick with what I know unless AMD come up with something that is vastly cheaper or vastly more powerful.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want to know which card is "best"...look at the games you play and find the card(s) that perform best within your price range. If you're seriously interested in which card is best for your particular application, that's the only way to go about it.

How exactly are they "trolls and biased bigots"??

4. PerfectLifeform

PerfectLifeform Member Guru

GPU:
    4Gb 680GTX SLi 1200 Mhz
    Image quality on the 680GTX is better then on my friends amd 7990 .. IQ is always in favor of Nvidia. IBLx5

5. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    In my experience colors and anti aliasing has always looked a bit sharper cleaner and better on Ati AMD Radeon cards especially the anti aliasing on AMD cards it is much better than on nvidia IMH experience.

6. The Alias

The Alias Guest

GPU:
    onboard
    the 7990 isn't even out yet lol

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    My honest reason:

I bought an Nvidia card this gen because I felt that ATI/AMD was slightly lacking in their driver support. I had a 5870 and I was getting weird graphical glitches with Skyrim, like many others were with ATI/AMD cards at the time because of this. Also I wanted PhysX. I know that sounds strange considering how few games support it but I love the added atmosphere in Arkham City.

Next, back when I bought my 5870 Nvidia released a series not too long afterwards that was much better at tessellation and some of that mentality carried over, although I'm sure that things have evened out since then.

Finally, I don't know if this still is the case but back when I bought my 680 it was out performing the 7970 in pretty much all the games I liked to play (Skyrim, Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3, Human Revolution **Added**I can't believe I forgot about The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 3**Added**). That being said, at the time I didn't know the 7 series was coming out so soon or I would have waited for that.

Overall I've been more than pleased with how my 680 has been performing. If AMD releases a better card next gen I'll probably go that route if the performance justifies giving up PhysX. Brand names mean nothing to me. I'm going to go with the winning team. Also, I already paid $600 for the card so $50 either way really isn't a factor. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think the OP has a very well thought out argument and at this juncture in the states (which he obviously is with the prices he is using) this is about the hierarchy of the GFX card world with the "high-end" being 7970/670, 680, 7970Ghtz (all stock/reference) and the "mid-range" being 7850, 7870, 660ti, 7950. We do not know for sure whether the 660 will be between the 7870 and 660ti or the 7850 and 7870 that is to be seen. And the prices here reflect that. But the choice of which card to get comes down to a few things: games you play, which color you like more red or green, what is the resolution you want to play at and price.

BTW don't start flaming me for the 7970Ghtz being in front of the 680 because it is just look at the benchmarks and take off the green glasses.

This is a well documented problem with AMD cards and actualy one of the reasons I'm using a Nvidia card now as well.

9. PerfectLifeform

PerfectLifeform Member Guru

GPU:
    4Gb 680GTX SLi 1200 Mhz
    just tell the OP what he wants to hear.. GET the 7970!! its better.. unless you look at Guru3d Benchmarks. then the numbers say otherwise.. I doubt guru3d had green glasses on when he did the tests.. the 680GTX has better IQ and is faster in most games especially with AA and at higher resolutions. /THREAD IBL

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I'm not to cover everything in the OP, since I have a life, but yea, please read this.

Wrong:
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/MSI/N680GTX-PM2D2GD5/995698/?event=search

Wrong:
    I'll just go cherry picking like you, from the exact same reviews you've been quoting
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-benchmark,3232-7.html

Wrong:
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/MSI/N670GTX-PM2D2GD5-OC/1005984/?event=search

Wrong:
    Using your cherry picking strategy here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-660-ti-jetstream-review/11

No, according to your logic the 660Ti is master of all cards.

Source please?

That is not true, please do some research on what vertical synchronization actually is and what a frame limiter does.

Stop pulling goddamn numbers out of your ass, man.
    ffs this **** is really starting to piss me off now, here you can read that the 7970ghz has a 228W calculated TDP and a 680 173W.

Seriously wtf. I'm not even going to check the rest, because you are so full of crap.

I see you like wasting time on made up figures.

Proven wrong by several quotes and references above.

So with all of this, why should we listen to your bull****?

Please take your unfounded gibberish somewhere else. You join up here just to deliberate try to cause a disturbance in this forum. You invent stories out of thin air and you're almost gonna get away with it by bending the truth. I do not understand why this thread is still alive. It's okay to critize, but you're just an obvious troll.

P.s. I'm not responding to anything you might have to say, because I am done wasting time on this thread that is based on lies.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    First point in you overly biased response 478 euros is about $560 usd just saying.

Second and third points are DX9 games which both sides are easily getting over 60FPS in any res. moot point

Fourth point welcome to the Nvidia divers forum have a look around.

Fifth point my math aint that great but that looks like a 55W difference to me. 228-173=55 yep that's right

I think you get the point.

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    nVidia has more feature and support developers. Amd as nothing to give to developers.

You know I see a lot of comments here about we are all gamers and such. Well then I have to ask why you are not supporting a company that is supporting gamers? (nVidia)

13. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    What does nvidia have to give to game devs Physx ROFLMAO something no AAA devs even use.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    THQ, Rocksteady, Rockstar you may want to rethink that statement.

15. The Alias

The Alias Guest

GPU:
    onboard
    you have dirt 3, tws2, dirt showdown, deus ex hr, and some other games I'm pretty sure I'm missing, but the point is Amd has been trying to improve dev support as well as drivers (which has been seen in the 12.7/8 drivers

16. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    Um no Rockstar uses a real physics engine included in there own RAGE engine the other two devs have crappy games.

17. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    7970 inductors buzz like hell and it's freaking annoying. I went through 3 different 7970's before I gave up and went for a GTX 670. I get more fps in my main game, BF3, with GTX 670 than 7970, and I don't have to deal with that annoying freaking buzz!

18. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I hate ATI's drivers with a passion. They annoy me about $50-75 worth at time of GPU purchase.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't know I think Batman:AC is an awesome game and alot of people agree with me on that

Metro2033 is an amazing looking game kinda generic in gameplay but still a great tech demo

And rockstar uses Nvidia PhisX in Mafia iirc

Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Mafia isn't made by rockstar. That being said PhysX is fine and Black Mesa is just being a troll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.