To stay with GTX 550 Ti purchase or swap for GTX 560 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ViolentReaper, Aug 17, 2012.

1. ViolentReaper

ViolentReaper Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    Pill Monster,

I'm not entirely sure that the GTX 560 Ti I saw over at Best Buy was the Galaxy brand, although it might very well be. There is currently a clearance sale on video cards over at my BB, so some of the higher priced brands like EVGA are significantly discounted. I do however vividly recall seeing a GTX 560 Ti for just $ 159.99.

In about an hour I am heading to BB, where I will make a decision on which card to get. The lowest I would settle for is the 560 SE, however there may be barely a price difference between the 560 SE & 560 Ti. In that case, it would be a steal for me to choose the Ti...my only concern is my PSU, which is just at 430 Watts. I know it can handle the 560 non-Ti, but I'm not so sure about the Ti.

2. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Truthfully i wouldn't even bother going to the 560 se, its not worth it unless you get an exact trade, if you can get a 560 non ti or better yet, a Ti, then it is worth it.

With your CPU the 550ti is all you need for gaming unless your going 1080p or more, also with a 430w good quality corsair power supply the 550ti will be fine with it, for the 560 of any kind its probably gonna need more like a 450-500 or so, its not worth the money to replace all that really if you think about it.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Think you may want to read this, reason I asked if it was this card is because it seems to be mis-advertised.

Have a read of the customer review.....
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Galaxy+...p?id=1218417162465&skuId=3568846#BVRRWidgetID

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Yes...Very Misleading...

Customer:
    Quote: "Just received card, and noticed that it only had a single fan on the heatsink. After checking box, I realized card is not the GTX 560 Ti Edition, just the regular GTX 560. Model number matches what website lists, but card is not the one pictured above, and does not have the same specifications or performance.
    No, I would not recommend this to a friend."

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    the box in the picture is for the GTX560Ti....as is the ad title. That's what matters. Problem is, most BB stores won't honor online pricing.

7. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    I just visited the BB store, and I've come to a new conclusion regarding what I am going to do. They have a PNY GTX 560 Ti for only $ 154.99. But get this: Right next to the 560 Ti on the shelf they have a regular GTX 560, for $ 249.99. I don't think I've come across a product on the market with pricing so inverted like this in logic, but store pricing is usually wack anyhow, at least compared to what is offered on the internet.

So, given my options, I am definitely going for the PNY GTX 560 Ti. I then drove over to a computer repair shop that I frequent, which is in the same shopping center. They will let me return the Corsair CX430 PSU that I bought 2 days ago, and upgrade to a Corsair CX500 PSU for $ 20 more. That way, I meet the 500 Watt minimum as recommended for the 560 Ti.

I have yet to purchase both, but am heading back to both places within the hour to make both purchases. In total, the change to a 560 Ti + 500 W PSU nets me only $ 40 more in cost.

I'm pleased with my option here. What do you guys think ?

8. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Yeah thats pretty bad.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    For 40 bucks, why not, id do it :)

10. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    I got really lucky with my gfx card purchase. Turns out, the PNY 560 Ti that I bought today cost only $ 129.99, which was the same price as the PNY 550 Ti that I had bought 2 days earlier. In essence, all I did was swap a 550 Ti with a 560 Ti. Doesn't get much better than that !

And now I am all up & running. Thanks for all of your input.