Delay when detecting sata drives

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by osama1234, Aug 17, 2012.

1. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    Hi,

I've used the search to no avail. Then again its been a while, and I've gotten unaccustomed to the 'keywords' I should be searching for.

In this day and age of using SSD to speed up boot-up time, i find my bootup time is ridiculous. It takes one whole minute in my 'MSI splash' screen, before it even goes to the Windows 7 splash screen.

By pressing ESC during the splash scree, I can see the biggest delay is after it has detected usb devices. It takes a good 50 seconds before it detects the sata drives. To rule out the fact it isn't that I have four drives, but I'm certain it was just as slow with even one harddrive.

Questions:
    A) I haven't found any bios settings, in my case. Maybe I'm missing them. Or may they don't exist. I wanted to know are there often settings in MOBO's to change the 'auto-detecting' of sata drives to a manual setting where it doesn't have to spend so long 'auto-detecting' in every bootup.

B) I might be buying a second computer. I am willing to shell out for an SSD, but if this issue is common in all mobos, then there's seemingly no point in buying an ssd if your mobo will spend a whole minute scratching its bum. How do people seem to get around this?

Intel i5 760
    8GB DDR3 1333
    80, 250, 2TB, and optical drives.
    Geforce 210
    500W PSU

Screenshot of where delay is:
    http://imgur.com/a/vVfNt#0

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I can't speak for MSI's BIOS but on my ASUS under the Boot section there is a setting for the Post Report(The picture you have shown)I can adjust how long it is shown(I use 3 Seconds) Look thru your BIOS for a similar setting. I know mine is set for 5 Seconds by Default.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah Post Report, I have mine set to 1 second.
    There might be another option called fast boot or something on your board as well, but the fact you're seeing MSI splash screen tells me your boot time isn't optimized for speed....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    auto detecting harddrives has always take a lot of time. Typically, the more drives, the longer it takes.

The OP is using an older Bios system, not UEFI. Bios doesn't allow the user to decide how long the POST Report is displayed, only EFI does.

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Curses! Tho I swear my old Abit IP35-Pro had an option to set the post timer?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dude I have 7 hard drives and my boot time is about 9 secs, even when I didn't have UEFI or SSD it didn't spend a minute detecting drives.....
    There is a fast boot option on most bios's that bypasses unnecessary post reports.

Even my old Abit AN7 has that option....

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Thank you, it's been awhile but I knew my ABit had a "fast boot" of some sort :thumbup:

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OP disable SMART, that'll prob help a bit,

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Fast Boot bypasses the memory test (been an option on a lot of motherboards since the "XT era"). Some motherboards actually detect the harddrives and store the configuration information in the CMOS...however, not all do this. It's a feature that the motherboard maker has an option whether or not to use.

10. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I had a look around the bios settings for: Disable Smart, Fastboot, Post Report and could only find Quickbooting which was already enabled.

Based on what I've from you guys more familiar with today's technologies, it sounds like That's just the way my mobo is.

I'll definitely watch a video of boot time for the next mobo I buy.

Thanks

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you put your PC into sleep mode instead of turning it off completely you won't have to sit through a long bootup time.

Sleep mode powers off everything except the ram and CPU (depending on processor) and puts the PC into an ultra low power state.

The neat thing about sleep is it only takes a couple of seconds to get into your desktop when you wake the PC.

Just a thought....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Aside from updates/upgrades and major storms, there's really little reason to shutdown a computer. If using an SSD though, you need to change the power option for the harddrives to never never turn off as this could cause issues with some SSDs

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah mine go into sleep state but never get shut down.....with modern day C1E/EIST it's almost the same as turning off your PC anyway...

14. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    Thank you for the suggestion about sleep.

Not expecting much, I gave hibernate a shot which surprisingly worked. That gave some hope that standby might work (back in the day, standby definitely didn't work on any computers I'd built). After reading about S1 and S3, changing the BIOS, S3 behaves as one would expect standby to behave.

Its wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're welcome. :)

16. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    Follow up question:

When recovering from sleep, my CPU fan decides that it wants to be at full-speed (which is slightly irritating (first world problems, i know)) even though the CPU is only at 44*C. The only way to get the fan to slow-down/behave normally is after a restart.

The motherboard's bios is up to date, is there any other magical place that may fix this behaviour.