What is your audio equipment testing song?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Erqury, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Background to question: Just got the Phoebus soundcard and a Shure SRH940 headphone and have been trying to test the sound quality with multiple songs, movies, games.

What do you listen to when you want to test your audio equipment?

What song do you feel helps you test your highs, mids, lows, sound stage etc. ?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mostly listen to metal, I'll dabble in other stuff but yeah metal. Most metal has godawful quality, but there are a couple of bands who do it correctly. I don't have a particular song per se, but pretty much anything from Katatonia, Riverside, some Opeth albums is what comes to mind. Specific songs, hmmmmm Riverside's Parasomnia comes to mind a song with highs, lows, atmospheric space and stuff that is recorded really damn well imo. So I'd choose that if I had too.

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Klassik....High quality klassik music..Cause there u can really check it out what the diff is..

But only High quality..or FLAC..like here for example:
    here u can dll test samples..
    klassik has teh most impact on a sound system i think..in terms of quality and high tones, silentness and mid´s..

For my Bass, well i take those bass test samples...there are more then enough to find on google..mostly i use teh so so Def bass allstars Flac´s...

also i use the RightMark Audio Analyzer, it does give u a lot of information and nice test sounds for pretty much all hz - khz and more..

greetz BetA

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    One good way to get great bass etc. is,believe it or not, old disco music. Disco music was all about pounding bass. The more the dance floor vibrated,the better. I remember that stuff.

5. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Not what I was looking for in this thread. I wanted more personal preference rather than technical how to test.

6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Beck - Sea Change album in SACD format, using foobar's sacd plugin :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    whatever song you're personally well familiar with so it depends

8. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    You are the winner, your the only person who gave the kind of answer I was looking for.

I recently found out that the Lord of the Rings soundtrack Bag Ends song has a lot of sneaky sounds that are great for testing highs and lows. That is my new test song.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I only really use specific songs to test for good bass response, the rest of my collection is used to verify how mid/treble sound.
    I use loads of bass test tracks, here are a few:

Enya - Watermark
    Enya - Longships
    Limp Bizkit - My way
    Mish Mash - Speechless
    Chemical Brothers - Golden Path
    Caliber Subwoofer test CD - Track 2
    Republica - Drop Dead Gorgeous
    Superman Lovers - Starlight
    War of The Worlds - Track 5 (of a particular remix, I've heard other versions too)
    Morcheeba - Who Can You Trust
    Floyd - Sorrow
    And of course, a good old Sine sweep.

Female vocals (edit: and guitar) I find are best for testing mid range and high definition tracks for treble.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, yeah that album (Beck-Sea Change) has alot of everything, so it's a good all round test album. Also, it's in multi channel so it really tests the whole system. I might get that LOTR soundtrack aswell :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

11. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Any track from Dream Theater's Awake album; "6:00" in particular is a great reference track. Very well mastered. Also, Star One's live album, Live on Earth, is good for testing soundstage and overall sound quality.

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Good list there Mufflore.

I just swapped out my Motherboard this past week so I barfed my sound card and had to reinstall it so that meant redoing my EQ's Again.

My "Go To Songs" usually end up being:

Amon Tobin "Sordid"
    Amon Tobin "Get Your Snack On"
    Björk "Human Behaviour"
    Aphex Twin "Xtal"
    Mystery Machine "Brand New Song"

13. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I use albums from:
    - Andrea Bocelli
    - Susan Wong
    - Kenny G
    Also
    - Rachmaninoff Piano concertos
    - Vivaldi Four Seasons
    - Handel Messiah

14. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I am kind of supprised that people test with whole albums and not just specific songs

15. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I kind of surprised that you think people listen to the whole songs in an album when they mention testing with that album. My favorite test song in Andrea Bocelli's album is Besame Mucho, but I also use many other songs in that album. Mentioning them one by one is too much typing..

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My favorite "song" to "test" with is Sandstorm from Darude....dunno why, but I love that track. There's just something about the feel of the "song". Also use "Diamond Eyes" from Shinedown as well as "Never too Late" from Three Days Grace and "Dirty Road Anthem" from Jason Aldean....and "Somebody that I used to know" from Gotye. Occassionally I'll use "Don't you wanna stay", the Jason Aldean & Kelly Clarkson duet. Yeah yeah, laugh.... I'm not biased. I'll listen to anything if the instrumental/lyrics sound good to me.

17. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Holy crap, I was just going to post that tune! I'm no hardcore audiophile, and I haven't listened to Awake in ages (huge DT fan though), but I always think of that album when the subject of great mixes/masters comes up. "Caught in a Web" and "Scarred" also sound incredible.

Another band with amazing sounding albums is A Perfect Circle. I especially love their drum sound - check "The Noose", "Blue", and "Orestes" - lush stuff.

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The vinyl edition of Mastodon's Crack The Skye. No, seriously... I don't really keep a list of "good test songs" because it's more or less pointless IMO, anyway.

19. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Pink Floyd...Dark Side Of The Moon

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ Yeah, the original stereo mix of it seems to be a popular choice. The 24/96 version that's on the Blu Ray of the Immersion Box Set sounds great IMO (and so does Wish You Were Here).