GTX 670 Club / OCs / Benchies / etc etc...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bentez, May 21, 2012.

1. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Yeah. I settled @ 4,8 with very low voltages. ^^

BTW, this one seems a very nice BIOS for the Gigabyte:

6+8 Pin PWR
    Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce
    Version: 80.04.31.00.58
    Voltage: 1.2125
    GPU-Clock: 1202MHz
    MEM-Clock: @stock
    Board Power: 200W(100%) - 250W(125%)
    GB670_VMOD_BP-200-250

Finally were going to take profit of that 6+8 pin PWR :D

2. billaa

billaa Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 670 OC
    There are two different BIOS for the Gigabyte cards

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce (for cards with stock F1,F2,F4 bios)
    Version: 80.04.31.00.58 F4
    GB670_VMOD_BP-200-250.zip

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce (for cards with stock F10,F11,F12 bios)
    Version: 80.04.31.00.58 F12
    GB670F12_VMOD_BP-200-250.zip

3. larsbaby

larsbaby Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX670 EX OC SLi WC
    I'd love to push that extra voltage through my KFA2 as they also have the 8+6 but no bios for them :(

4. billaa

billaa Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 670 OC

There is :)
    My bios would work. We have the same card, but different name

Galaxy GTX 670 GC
    Version: 80.04.19.00.26
    FAN: 20% - 100%
    BP: 200W(100%) - 250W(125%) <- (seems to be a good stock board power setup)
    GGC670_VMOD_FAN-20-100.zip

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Anyone have Evga 670 gtx ftw and installed a Artic Cooling Twin Turbo II on it? if so What mount and what spacers? Any and all info on AC web site reguarding this is complete outdate it mention nothing about anything past the 5xx series in the online manuals

6. larsbaby

larsbaby Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX670 EX OC SLi WC
    I found the ZIP file, thanks, i'll give it a try.

7. billaa

billaa Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 670 OC
    Good luck.
    people get average of 30 -50 mhz

8. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Yeah, i've finally broken the 21K in GPU scores:
    GRAPHICS SCORE

:banana::banana::banana:

That is @ 4,8 GHz.

With modified BIOS for the Gigabyte 670 OC. :D
    And that has been my first run, Im sure I can go further, but with this heat wave I will just wait for autumn (35 ºC ambient :S)

9. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    i've gained about 69 mhz (from 1256-1325) using vmod bios, but yeah this just depends on yoru card

gratz! im just waiting to get my second card to try and pull over 20k xD

10. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Good job mate, welcome to the 21K club :D

11. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    I apologize if this has been asked before but I just got a evga 670 FTW and read that they automatically downclock when they hit 70 degrees. Sure enough, if I have Precision onscreen display running, it shows that the card starts to downclock. The worrisome thing is that if I don't have some kind of fan control enabled in software, it can hit 85 degrees or more even though it has already downclocked. If I do enable a fan curve and all that I can stay under 70, although I haven't tested it extensively.

So what should I do? Always use a software fan curve? How will that impact performance with hardware polling? I've read that some games don't work well with the monitoring software in the background. Are there any settings I should be aware of?

edit: I have no idea how places like Anandtech are only getting load temperatures of 77 C or so. I can easily hit 85-90 if I turn off the "Auto" button in Precision and then use the OSD for the temperatures. I'm assuming turning off "Auto" lets the card handle the fan and is what all benchmark sites use?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Keep in mind Anandtech are testing in a open air test bench that explains the temps. they get. On the monitoring software I personally have not had any issues with any of the games I play not liking them. What case are you using and do you have good airflow around the card if it's intaking hot air off your psu it will never cool good if your case alows it you may want a fan on the side feeding fresh air directly on the card.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Even with only one case fan my card normally doesn't hit 70°C under load (at 1300MHz), all with its automatic fan profile.
    It might be worth a try to check how the contact between heatsink and card turns out. Sometimes a little TIM and sanding work wonders.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah mine is the same way I have a HAF922 though so I have plenty of space around the card but no fan blowing on the card directly.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Me neither. The case just has a single exhaust fan and that's it, no additional intake / psu or side fan. Not even lots of mesh around.
    If the card really goes way above that it's either due to really bad airflow or bad contact. I had to sand my block as only two heatpipes had some contact to the GPU, after the sanding it worked much better. I never say anything above 75° before I took care of the problem but afterwards the card run much cooler still (typically 63-65° under load).

16. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    I have this case:

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/source_210

Currently I have two outtake fans: one on top and the one that came with the case on the back. I have a Hyper 212 Evo blowing air out the top. I've tried putting a fan on the side of the case before but didn't notice any difference in temperatures. I only have the card in there with 2 hard drives on the bottom.

As far as Precision goes, so far I have tried:
    Turn "Auto" off: 85-90 degrees, quiet fan
    Turn "Auto" on but no fan curve: Around 77-78 degrees, quiet fan
    Turn "Auto" on with fan curve: 65-70 but with the fan spinning more.

This was tested with Metro 2033.

What I would like to know is what the default behavior of the card is without Precision running. I guess I'll try Realtemp or something instead.

edit: I tried using HWMonitor and ran the Metro 2033 benchmark about 10 times using all max settings. I ended up with a max of 79C. Still pretty high I guess. How hard is it to remove and redo the heatsink? I have some thermal grease but that's it. Do you need adhesive pads and such for attaching the ram and voltage regulators?

edit: Well I put a 2000 RPM fan on the side panel and besides making a ton of noise it hasn't really done anything. Maybe 1 degree difference if I'm lucky.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  17. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    the polling from precision x would not hinder your gaming performance any if at all.

it's a trade off as far as fan curves go,

do you want it to never throttle or down clock? set a more aggressive fan curve, at the cost of a slightly louder fan (which you really shouldn't be hearing when you are playing games or have ur headphones on anyways)

do you want a more quiet system? set a more conservative fan curve or leave it at auto, at the cost of performance when it hits the temperature thresholds.

you should never turn auto off and leave it at a low %, you will run into the possibility of overheating your gpu, you really dont want it to be running at 80+ degress at any given time.

if you really want to mess with auto off, then you need to manually set the fan % higher when needed, but i see no point of this as this is where custom fan curve comes in.

as for reapplying the TIM, you can do that, and keep all the factory thermal pads in place, dont need anything extra/new.

18. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    Well about the auto off: I never intended to leave it off, I was just experimenting. I thought that auto off meant that the card would automatically handle the fan like it would without any software running. I'm still not sure if that's the case, but it does seem like I got lower temperatures without any software running vs. having auto off.

If I set a fan curve, according to HWMonitor, it can stay below 70 degrees mostly. It is pretty loud though. I'm not really sure I want to remove the heatsink and all that.

edit: Well I decided to just take that fan off since it wasn't doing anything. I've tried just leaving the case open but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference either. I guess I'll just have to use the fan curve. Unfortunately, I doubt such a tool is available for Linux.

edit: I think I may just leave the case open with the fan curve on. Pretty loud but oh well... boost clock hurray. Now my concern is with the fan itself. I mean, I'm assuming using a curve puts a lot more stress on it? Will it fail quicker?

edit: I ended up replacing the TIM. It was a little thick on there but not too bad I guess. The heatsink did look pretty rough but I've never lapped one before so I didn't want to mess it up. After some short tests my temperatures seem to be about 2 or maybe 3 degrees cooler but nothing too substantial. I was thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler, but when I had unscrewed most of the screws I could find, I still couldn't see how I would take the plastic shell off of the PCB. The heatsink was sort of a separate unit within the shell so I was able to get at it, but I couldn't see how to remove the remaining bottom half of the cooler.

edit: ugh.. I don't suppose there exists some sort of sound damping/barrier thing I could just put in front of my computer or something?? Now I'm getting some low level hum in addition to louder fans. This is kind of driving me crazy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  20. larsbaby

larsbaby Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX670 EX OC SLi WC
    18094 Score :)
    22080 GPU Score
    :)
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4118124

I Knew I could hit 18k :banana:

Both cards hitting 1350MHz
    Memory 3700 MHz (can go to 3850 but need better cooling on the chips)
    Max Temps 45c
    Idle Temps 25c