MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelg

Kelg Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 X
    blub2

its my last try to help you(r program) for sure

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unwinder I'm sure you know very well it's safe to kill user mode processes via Task Manager, labelling somebody who does this as "stupid" is uncalled for.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm also sure you know very well that you simply CANNOT kill anything but user mode processes via task manager. And doing so WILL NEVER let user mode process to terminate correctly, causing risk of losing process data and so on, and OS warns you about it not just for fun. Abnormally killing the process, which is performing some task at the moment (dynamically controlling fan in this case) and blaming it for NOT terminating properly is plain stupid whenever you like it or not. It is as stupid as rebooting OS with Reset button when you have alternate proper ways of rebooting.

4. Whi28

Whi28 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7670M
    MSI Afterburner not detecting Catalyst driver on AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M, but displaying core and memory clock. When unofficial overclocking mode is on, core and memory clock displaying as 0, clock are regulating in high side, but not applying and clearing to 0. What is it?

5. Kelg

Kelg Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 X
    Yes, the bug occurs in an very unusual way/case. But this unusualness is what devs have always to include in their program to ensure that its program performs always as good as possible in any case. even if the user does something stupid...
    It seems that unwinder does not want to succeed his program, if he keep to get rid of his bug reporter in this way ...

6. Unwinder

Wrong, it seems like unwinder absolutely doesn't want to spend his work time on commenting fake bugs and fixing user understanding instead of developing something new.
    The bug is located in your understanding, you misunderstand simple and trivial thing: ending an application via the task manager prevents ANY process (including Afterburner) from terminating correctly. If you're properly closing an application performing software fan speed automation, it is returning automatic fan control back to default hardware automation on application termination. If you're just killing the process via task manager, OS kills it ABNORMALLY and the last FIXED fan speed is set until you reboot the system.
    If you think that you're so smart to kill any process in your system, it is your decision to kill the process that is doing hardware management, it is your responsiblity and you bug. End of story, no more comments will be given.

7. Kelg

Kelg Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 X
    omg
    my initial bug report was given purely in the intention to advance the program, becauset the bug opened a gap in possibilities that cause a problem (maybe im not the first to who that this happens, but the first one that reported it)
    you just give the response "MSIAfterburner was not used in boundary of intended use! so no problem at all"

don't get me wrong! i respect your work and your program!
    but the way you confront to new problems that users can cause is just stupid (to use our own choice of words)

to degrate this bug as "FAKE BUG" is another arrogant way to reduce the respond from an default user (yes i am rarely use MSIAfterburber, but was confronting with a problem with MSI Afterbunrer and try to comunicate it to the developer, what was not liked, as to see from the developer response, it seems)

so it looks like you are sad because you are underpayed of your employer or just dont want succeed your tool ???

from my point of view, you are the poorest kind of dev i encountered, because you dont want to listen to criticise or suggestions to improve your tool.

please proof me wrong, beacause i like rivatuner from the beginning.

as i stated in my initial bugreport, this bug could be circumvented by just end the MSIAfterburner and the Monitor exe in the installer procedure.

peace bro!

8. Unwinder

Spend time on proving something to the next "I know everything" user? No, thanks.
    No problem, just stay away from poorest dev and bugged tool. And let me choose myself what us useful suggestion and critics and what is PEBCAK issue.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  9. Whi28

Whi28 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7670M
    I'm sorry, but i not alone with this problem? What you think about it? I not understand how AB not detecting AMD VECC 12.7 beta driver. On ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with same driver AB detect and very easy overclock GPU. But on new notebook with new stupid APU architecture AB even not detect GDDR3 video memory and displaying 4 (!!!) GPU utilisation and 4 (?!!) cooler speed curves on diagram. What how it looks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. xNAPx

xNAPx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    When i try modify the voltage and apply that if i run gpu-z to monitor vddc it's still at default even if I modified it through AB, how is that possible? should I install previous version? Actually running 2.2.3 and 12.7beta driver

11. lochlanntt

lochlanntt Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gt 650m 1gig
    gt 650m

Suggestion

First off You guys have done a great job with this program it's awsome!
    I was woundering if u could increase the amont of core overclocking avaliable for the nvidia gt 650m it can be pushed alot more. Thx regards,

lochlann

12. krwynn

krwynn Guest

GPU:
    G Skill
    I just noticed a change that has me scratching my head. If I click "i" it shows GPU 1 as the slave and GPU 2 as the master. This is the opposite of what it was before upgrading to the current version of Afterburner.

Running 2 Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2gb.

Also after updating Catalyst to 12.8 and running furmark (I always do this after updating Catalyst to see if there is a big jump) my fps appear to be locked down at 60fps with neither GPU using more than 48% of its resources. I updated Catalyst and Afterburner at the same time so I'm not sure which one is the culprit. Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated. I've uninstalled 12.8 and reverted back to 11.12 but have the same issue. Thanks in advance.

Oh and I haven't changed any software/hardware etc. Computers actually been untouched since March and I just fired it up to update software. (was working out of town) Thanks again!

Kevin

Edit: Just noticed the very first drop-down on the general tab. Slave/master working as intended now. Not sure how I missed that.

Edit#2:My oh my, I'm an idiot. I had "Wait for Vertical Refresh" in CCC set all the way to the right which forces fps to the refresh rate of your monitor. Mine is 60, hence all benchmarks topping out at 60fps. I've fought this for 3 days trying every version of CCC I could get my hands on. Hopefully this helps others that make the same mistake.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  13. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Would it be possible considering that DXoverrider no longer works with forcing triple buffering D3D in windows 8 that it's time for MSI afterburner to have it ?

Would be awesome for msi afterburner to have a triple buffering option for D3D/DX titles!. A fantastic addition to an already great app :banana:

14. Wildfire

Wildfire Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570
    Doesn't mean we can't mention the issues we're having. At least that way the developers can work on getting them resolved before the actual release of Windows 8.

Myself, I can't even get Afterburner to run. I've installed Windows 8 a few days ago (the 64-bit RTM release) and tried installing the latest Afterburner beta. It installs just fine, but it won't run:

I'm running a fully updated 64-bit Windows 8 Professional with GeForce 306.02 beta drivers for my MSI GeForce GTX 570.

(by the way, I've tried both installing and running Afterburner in Windows 7 compatibility mode, didn't work either way)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. Eagleizer

Eagleizer New Member

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX Ti Hawk (S)
    Max 1000MHz on core

Hi! I`m having a problem with the new Afterburner:

Before (Afterburner 3-4 months ago), I could get my
    MSI N560GTX Ti Hawk (S) to reach around 1040 on
    the Core. If i tried 1050, I would get artifacts.

Now, whatever I set it to in Afterburner, it will not go over 1000?
    I even tried 1100. It`s also throtteling down 50-60% when running
    Kombustor. (unless I make a 13ms delay). Temps are OK...

There is a lot of new stuff i the new version of Afterburner, so am I
    doing something wrong?

Btw: I`m not OC`ing the CPU as much as I did before.

Driver: 306.23

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

16. dimka11

dimka11 Guest

GPU:
    xfx hd4650 1gb
    Does not show the usage of video memory. windows 8 rtm 64 bits, gt540m,304.79

17. baothyhoinach

baothyhoinach Guest

GPU:
    msi 660ti PE/OC
    MSI AB version 2.2.4 still not overvolting MSI GTX 660Ti PE, voltage limit is just 1.175, even the Aux and mem voltage is invisible

18. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Possible show sub dx version:
    Dx9 > dx9c
    Dx10 > dx10.1
    ???

19. Eagleizer

Eagleizer New Member

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX Ti Hawk (S)
    Problem solved!

Changed driver to 296.10 and now it works :D

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

I was wondering why does OSD lower performance by openGL games?

For example Doom3 (enhanced version) build-in benchmark

MSI afterburner OSD running in the background
    199.8fps

MSI afterburner OSD visible
    141.9fps

I tried raster, vector, only show fps, but there is no difference..:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.