shogun2 crossfire performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bkandor, Aug 7, 2012.

1. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Hi,

I have a 6990+6970, oc'd at 930/1450. I usually am playing eyefinity 3x1 but for shogun2 I just play on the center monitor. If I disable crossfire I get close to 60 fps at 1080p. But using the latest cap 12.7 cap2 and crossfire I get around 30% utilization and only 30fps, much slower during large battles. The cpu is hardly touched by this game (2600k @ 4.9, 8gb ram).

I'm using the included profile selection for shogun2, but maybe that's the problem? Any ideas?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Try running it without the cap installed. 6990+6970 is Trifire which some games don't support very well.

3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Hmmm, I always had good utilization with my 2x 4870x2 setup in Shogun 2. It always used all 4 GPUs and performance was even better than it is now with my GTX680.

What driver version are you using?

What setting do you have Catalyst AI set to?

Are you running the game in fullscreen or in a window?

Are you playing in DX9 or DX11?

4. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Hi,

I'm using 12.7 official, from their site. Along with 12.7cap2.
    AI profile, I choose the included shogun setting along with all defaults and then save that profile to shogun2.exe.
    I run windowed mode, 1920x1080 although I have an eyefinity setup that normally runs 6040x1080, for shogun I only use the center monitor. But I don't disable the display group.

Since I first posted, for other reasons, I rebuilt this system from scratch. I restored shogun2 and did a fresh driver install with cap as per above.

Interestingly, now I have lots of problems! Even the opening graphics have horizontal flickering lines (thick ones). And flickering in the campaign screens is worse than ever. I basically recreated what I wrote above only on a fresh win7 64bit install. And now it's crazy bad!

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have a funny feeling CF doesn't work in windowed mode.

6. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    I think that's true, but I don't play in windowed mode. I did a msi:ab video cap and in playback what I see as flickering looks like the screen turns lightish blue for a frame and then back. Really weird and too bad.

I made it look really good by enabling vsync in game, doing in catalyst made no difference. BUT, even though it looks good, check out this steam screenshot I took, it was a nice view, but when I looked at the screen it's pure blue!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    So the very obvious thing to do... is to go to another driver set first, before anything. Have you tried that?

8. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Something is up with trifire ATM. I think they changed something in the drivers/caps where I is not using AFR. On my trifire 7970 rig crysis 2, dirt showdown both have the same issue you described while BF3 is fine.

Try this out: IN CCC gaming performance tab set your setting how you normally would. At the bottom under crossfire choose AFR friendly mode. Click save at the top of the window then select you *.exe for the game. I found that this return the performance and load each gpu but you may experience some flickering. Some reason in trifire the profiles are not working crossfire things work fine. If you run the game using the default mode it loads the 3 gpu's what would = 1 gpu load. Something is up hope they fix trifire in the driver release!

9. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    So do you play fullscreen or windowed? Your statements are a bit conflicting. Note that when playing in windowed mode, you can sometimes "maximize" the window, which will look like fullscreen but it's still windowed.

Crossfire does NOT work in windowed mode, even a maximized "fullscreen" window.

You're running in eyefinity but only using the center monitor? Have you tried actually disabling eyefinity?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You just said that you do play in windowed mode...

11. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    LOL, I was super tired, sorry! I run in fullscreen mode only sorry for the confusion. I have an eyefinity display group set at 3x1 6040x1080. However, in shogun2 I set the game to run at 1920x1080 fullscreen. It opens on my center monitor and the left and right screens go dark. I have played it in eyefinity, but I can't make the controls appear on the center screen so....

I will try disabling eyefinity but it worked great before, so I'm more inclined to test an older driver next. I was pretty suprised by the blue screen shot above considering with the ingame enabled vsync it was solid 60fps on ultra and look smooth. But obviously the ingame vysnc is masking the horrendous flickering I saw previously.

Thanks,

12. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Have you tried switching between DX9 and 11 modes? I am having issues with DX 11, but DX 9 is fine for me.

13. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Thanks for this, setting AFR friendly is working so far in battle, havn't tried campaign map yet but it looks good!

edit, good in campaign as well, but as you mentioned there is some random text flickering like prior to the new 12.7 cap they released last week.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012