House phone?? Does anyone use them?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Gotta love POTS/PSTN for emergencies. :banana:

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    we have one but rarely use it, we get more people calling for previous owners of the number than ourselves :p

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    my cable company has a triple package which includes: ip tv, fiber internet and two landline numbers, one phone is connected while the other phone is accumulating dust, and the main one only my parents know it, lol i dont even know it!

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i never use our home phone, almost exclusively use my iphone.

and i dont constantly check it as someone previously implied @ cell phone users. :rolleyes:

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Do anyone use a house phone?
    are you serious?
    Um milllions of people use house phones lol. I do, always will.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, my house is still fitted with a landline and yes, my family and I still use it. Why? It's a centralized phone line where if you can't find me on my cell you can still find me at home. I don't carry my cell around at home. It's always in my room, so if I leave my room, people reaching me will never get to me.

Also, for the rest of my family, they don't have a lot of minutes on their plans, cell phone rates in Canada are absurdly high. It's not really shocking to see people with $60+/month plans if they want to be able to use their smartphones.

I get unlimited local calling, 300 Canada long distance, caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding and all that jazz on my home phone for $30/month. For a cell phone plan with the Big 3 (most people still require good coverage and would rather get milked by them than go with the new carriers who are still having trouble providing good coverage as they're building a new network and are only 3 years old) would be about $60+ but only difference is data is added. For some reason 6 GB of data is worth $30, it makes no sense to me.

deltatux

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    $30 for 6GB of data is better than what I'd have to pay....$100 for a 5GB plan. I currently have a house phone, but will be calling my provider to disconnect it as both my wife and myself have unlimited calling and texting on our cellphones....and a 1GB (shared) data plan ($40USD)....

8. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

GPU:
    I wish we still had one!

This VOIP crap sucks!!!!! (Keeps dropping calls,etc)

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Got rid of my home phone during the last presidential election as I was sick and tired of getting political calls.. .told the phone company exactly that for the reason too to drill it in their skulls. No regrets for leaving it either as I'm on cable for net and sat for tv.

10. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I feel like on of the few left who don't own a cell phone and I quite like it that way to be honest.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I meant $30 of the $60 is just data cost for 6 GB (and this is a special discounted rate until Friday), if you remove data, then the monthly plan is $30.

Data costs are ridiculous in Canada unless there are discounts.

deltatux

12. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I still have a large (maybe five pound) wall-mounted rotary phone that I use on occasion... cell phone coverage is spotty here, and I think that phone is a hoot. We have a 'real' cordless phone with an answering machine and all that too.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh wow, rotary phones? I haven't seen one since the '90s when I was a kid lol.

deltatux

14. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    I have one too :). It comes very useful when you need to be awaken by the phone ;). Don't use it ATM tho, but it's always in hallway for decoration purpose.