Razer Tiamat final thoughts.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ESlik, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have been using the Tiamat's more than enough time to determine what I believe to be, the best analog surround sound headphones available for gaming. The operative word here is "GAMING". I compared them to the Roccat Kave's,Tritton hDA's,Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A's,CM Storm Sirus,and of course,the Psyko Carbon's. I don't have any games that are 7.1 analog,so I can't really say how the Tiamat's sound in 7.1. I did enable Tiamat's 7.1 when playing games with 5.1,but all that did was kind of spread the 5.1 signal which made it difficult to pinpoint exactly where footsteps,gun shots etc. were coming from. The Tiamat's set to 5.1 were much much better in positional sound. All the headphones I listed, were purchased in my attempt to find a better Gaming set than the Psyko Carbon's. The Tiamat's almost did that. Almost. They are as close as you can get,but just close. The Tiamat's are pretty expensive when compared to the price of the Roccat's etc. with Psyko being the most expensive. For the money,I would go with the Roccat Kave's. At $80 to $100 less,and the fact that the Roccat's are very good in hearing where sounds are coming from etc. make it a no brainer. The Tiamat's are a good set,but not THAT good. As I said,I can't say anything about gaming with 7.1 analog,but for 5.1 the Tiamat's are not any better than the Roccat's. For sure not better than the Psyko's. One more thing..Every owner of Tiamat hear a humming or buzz. That's because of the USB power. The fix is to use a USB hub or plug them into USB 3. That's what I did. Please remember,I'm no sound expert or reviewer. This is just MY opinion. I tested all the Headphones using the Xonar Xense and the Xonar Phoebus sound cards. My preferred sound card is the Xense. Thanks all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    and because you're Canadian, your review MUST be true!! :D

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I am a Canadian,but I'm not a reviewer. I give opinions only,and base the opinions on how headphones sound to me. By the way...Psyko is a Canadian company. The only Canadian company that I know of that makes a true 5.1 analog set of headphones. Or any kind of headphones for that matter. It's great to be CANADIAN!!!

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    heh, you don't pay hospital bills

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    PSB just released their first set of headphones. Granted they aren't 5.1 But PSB make great speakers. I was lucky enough to be able to get them here in Europe for my Home Theatre(Also Canadian just a long ways from home)

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Actually,we do pay when earning money. Ever person contributes in the form of a payroll deduction. Your Employer contributes an equal amount as well. However,if you happen to be unemployed or disabled etc.there is NO COST at all. Canada is truly a leader in Health Care for each and every resident.

7. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    What game were you playing with these? I got them and I am having issues with the bass in BF3. When I fire my gun the bass goes nuts and drowns everything down (adjusted the levels on the sub every which way). When a dude stands next to me firing his weapon its a pee shooter. Everything sounds muffled and a bit drowned out. I still have another 2 weeks to return them. Have you had any luck tweaking these? The buzzing is a grounding issue. I changed the USB port and fixed that issue.

8. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I played BF 3 with the Tiamat's and had no issues. I didn't do any tweaking at all. I simply plugged them into my sound card,set it to 7.1 analog and that was that. If you have "Flex Bass" on your sound card,try that. I see you figured out the humming sound from the USB. I didn't use the drivers that came on the CD. Download the latest drivers. That may be all you need. Good luck.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    This time I went with a stereo set instead, Sennheiser PC360, getting surround position is good thanks to the audio card, they have much better sound too, especially for music.

10. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    Driver download? Mine did not come with a CD. How are their drivers for these headphones? I do not have the bass issue when I use my speakers (s750 gigaworks)

I have the PC 350 that came with my Asus Xense and I did not like them. These razers are for gaming only, when I listen to music I just use my hd 650s.

11. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I thought I mentioned the Phoebus drivers in my original post. The new drivers for the Phoebus fix issues in BF 3. That's what I was referring to.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Windows 7 64bit
    Windows 7 32bit
    Don't update to 7.0.1.20 if you use ASIO, there is a bug in the current set.

The 350's got a closed back design, can't compare them with the 360's

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    kaves are terrible.

14. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Terrible? In what respect? Do you own a set? For a $100 set of 5.1 analog headphones,they're excellent for gaming. A bit uncomfortable for me,but great surround sound and not really that bad for movies etc. If you really think the Kave's are terrible,tell us why,and what you compared them to.

15. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    By the way,I'm not so sure my final thoughts on the Tiamat's still stand. Now that they have "burned in" so to speak,these things are sounding much better. Really. Positional sound seems a lot more accurate as well as a better overall surround sound. I'm starting to really appreciate the quality of the Tiamat's and how well they have broken in. Psyko has strong competition from Razer for gaming headphones. I'm not going to retire my Psyko's yet,I just won't use them for a while. I'm getting very happy with the Tiamat's

16. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    That was a well thought out and detailed response.. :stewpid:

17. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Was going to get these but instead got high quality stereo headphones, I think I made the better choice with my SRH940 using Dolby virtual surround sound.

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Maximum PC gave the Tiamat's a "Kick Ass" rating. I seldom listen to music on my PC,but when I do,the Tiamat's sound pretty damn good cosidering they are gaming headphones. Pair them with a GOOD sound card,and "hang on to your hat". Well worth considering if you're looking for a new set of headphones.

19. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Are you Justin Beiber's dad?

20. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    He is from Sault Ste. Marie, a boring city, he is not Justin Beiber's dad.