Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    After reading what u said~~
    i run a 3dmark11 test~~and yes...

THE PROBLEM IS FIXED BUT THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT PERFORMANCE DROP!!

my 3dmark score dropped from 6677 to 5285 (21%) dropped~~

hmm~~a bit disappointing :bang:

2. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    My god...this card is a disaster..my retailer just told me to carry my whole case (Very,very heavy case) and go all the way to his shop (which is like..2 hours away!) he needs my whole system for testing, can't just the dude give a GTX 670 and be done with it!?

MAN, i hate retailers..especially in my country :(

3. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    may I ask those who are experiencing the black screen problem w/ and w/o sound loop if you guys are using AVR or UPS? and how did you connect your 7870? are you guys using a single atx cable w/ a dual 6pin? or a 2 atx cable separate 6pin?

I noticed that my 12V is -68.00 sometimes... can you guys check yours? maybe our electricity might be the culprit? I have updated my BIOS (mobo) but it doesn't seem to solve the issue.
    [​IMG]

4. vladamir

vladamir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    I've been running that asder beta driver for a couple of days now and have not seen a black screen yet, but I'd give it a week without problems before saying its fixed though; its gone for days before without issues before :bawl:.

Alot of people on different forums have noted the negative voltage readings from GPU-z with this card. I have left GPU-z running almost non-stop trying to find the problem causing the black screens but the negative readings happen too often without a black screen going along with it for that to be conclusively the problem.

5. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
  6. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    didn't make any difference for me. i still crash frequently while playing max payne 3.

7. Napz

Napz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC GHz
    Hey guys, I'm having the same issue being posted about here. I have the Sapphire 7870 GHz OC edition. My computer has been crashing in all games I've played. I have not experienced a crash while doing anything else, browsing the web, listening to music, etc. I thought it was a hardware issue so I sent it to Sapphire for a replacement but upon seeing this thread I now think its some other issue. Not sure if anyone else here has tried RMAing their card, so when I receive mine back I'll let you guys know if anything has changed.

8. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    Thanks~~but likely it is not a hardware problem~~
    try install the latest driver~(not the 12.7Beta but the other 1 posted here)
    i have no crashing problem after using it~~but the performance dropped by 20%~~

9. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    I sent my WHOLE RIG on the Shop and they tested it for 3 DAYS on Prime95, Furmark, Heaven DX11, Memtest, OCCT...and it all passed.

My 7870 was then sent to the Distributor (Local) and was tested for 7 days... and they found no problem. (Same Tests)

it was given back to me w/o a FIX and I'm still having problems with the Black Screen appearing randomly on BF3 Multiplayer.

Updated all drivers and BIOS and it doesnt seem to cure the issue

10. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Of course your problem is solved. Your GPU is throttling and is never used at maximum load all the time while gaming.
    This is like underclocking the card as it solved the problem for many owners i read about.

That probably finally means that the problem is not solved yet.

11. Napz

Napz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC GHz
    So you think I'll just receive my same card back without a replacement? That's pretty upsetting. I tried talking to Newegg (who I bought my 7870 from) trying to explain the situation about it being a software issue and if I could send it back and receive some store credit to use towards another card. They essentially told me f*** off and that my 30day replacement time is over so they don't care about any issues I'm having, in fact their customer service has stopped replying to me now. This was my first PC build and its been 40 days since I put it all together and I still do not have a working PC.

Once I get it back from Sapphire, replaced or not, I guess I'll try new drivers/BIOS. I saw someone recommended if Catalyst was causing the problem, why not just delete it. Do we really need Catalyst?

12. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    after trying my 7870 for 4 hours straight at my local retailer on my whole RIG at the shop, the problem did not appear, and he told me to leave the RIG for an over-night test..

just before i leave that night i started seeing artifacts in crysis 2 (Vertical lines), i pointed them out for my retailer..and left the RIG..hoping for the best.

on day 2 i called him back, he told me that over-night testing was a complete success (in a totally bad way)..no black screens, no sound loops..nothing of what i have discrived!

However, the artifacts problem kept growing bigger..and that lead him to replace the card for me!

i got a GTX 670 instead..didn't test it much, but it's running good till now, hope you guys all fix your problem..cause i sure can't exactly call what happened to me as "fixing"

AMD really F**ed this one up pretty bad..

13. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    assuming sapphire agrees to rma the card, i bet they will send you a brand new 7870 which will cause the same crash. i have never done an rma through sapphire but if they do send you a new card, sealed box and all, you could always sell it and buy a different model. just going with a different brand isn't going to help apparently. either that or wait for amd to fix the problem with a new driver release which could take a day, a month, or an eternity.

alternatively you could buy a new motherboard and cpu with a chipset that has been proven to be compatible with the card. i spent about $400 needlessly replacing my mobo, ram, and psu just to end up with the same crash the card caused on my old build. the only thing i didn't replace was my cpu which means my compatibility problem is with the athlon II x3 or the AM3+ chipset in general.

btw, it probably goes without saying for the experienced guru but if you adjusted the clock at all to try and fix the crash do NOT tell the support staff. don't give them any reason to refuse the rma.

14. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    Depends on the shop and person you have talked to...Shops are strict about their replacement warranty, All you can do now is RMA...and hoping they can fix it.

Give it another try and link this Video on my Channel to them

Black Screen Buzzing Noise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8erBOaOBck

Black Screen No Buzzing Noise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8C4PmdBG5M

there are others who have returned their cards and got a same 7870 replacement and still got issues. And there are other who got a 7870 and claim that they arent having any issues now...

and there are others that have the same card returned to them.

it wont be made if it wasn't necessary...

I doubt this can fix the issue because even users with higher rig builds experience this too...

------------------

those 7870 users that are having the problem, Pls. go to AMD forum too, I've created a thread there so AMD would know about our problem with this card.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=428&threadid=160398&enterthread=y

15. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    by the process of elimination i have determined that the crash is almost certainly caused by driver incompatibility with some mobo/cpu combos. whether a rig was built for $500 or $5000 shouldn't make a difference.

i got the same crash while playing the same games with 2 different rigs.

first rig:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB
    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
    hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2
    Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2

second rig:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB
    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
    OCZ ZS Series 750W
    ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

so, as you can see, the only constants between the 2 are the cpu, a socket AM3 mobo, and the hard drive. i did a thorough wipe of the old video drivers before updating to 12.6 and then again with 12.7 so the HDD should have nothing to do with it. also, i stop getting the crash when i put my old sapphire 5770 in either of the builds.

16. soxytony

soxytony Guest

GPU:
    shappire hd7870oc
    I have had two types of crashes on my Sapphire 7870oc, first is the black screen in bf3 which I am 99.99% certain was due to overclocking to high, turning it down stopped that.

However my new crash is a grey screen of death which seems to mainly happen on wow loading screens, so isnt due to intense vid use, also when I reboot or even power off, power on my fan is going at max till windows loads. This one I dont have a clue about, I am hoping its drivers. Its not an overheat, its only 51c when it happens, so the fan is a red herring I assume.

One thing reading this forum that may be relevent is we all seem to have sapphire cards..... So does that mean we are all using Trixxx..... Personaly I only use trixxx, I dont install CCC, just the drivers when then come out.

Soxytony

17. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    what mobo and proc combination are you exactly referring that are driver compatible?
    there are users of 7870 with Z68 & Z77 that had the black screen issue..

besides Sapphire there are reported XFX, MSI, Gigabyte 7870 black screen issue too. No reports of ASUS and the reference card version of 7870. It's either they don't want to make threads or aren't really having any issue at their end.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  18. Zahlokhnir

Zahlokhnir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC
    Ok, So I started crashing like three or more times a day. I stopped having any browsers open while I game, and haven't had a single crash since, done at least 20 hours of gameplay without crashing. Again, not a tech smart person myself, but I think the issue can be something to do with a browser being open, maybe the flash on it or something of that sort.

EDIT: So I just tried to run a game of League of Legends with a browser open and I crashed within 10 min or so. This being done after running over 15 games without a browser open and experiencing no crashes at all.

Try it yourselves guys, and see if it helps.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  19. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    I dont normally has browser running at back when im gaming (DOTA 2) most of the time recently..it will still crashed..
    i updated with the latest unofficial driver..it stops the crash..for a week...!! until jus now~~when it crash again~~

i seriously think this is a driver problem~~
    there are buyers who RMA their cards~~but problem still persist~~

for the case of closing ur browser~~it may has an effect to reduce the crashing but not solving it permanently~~

20. vladamir

vladamir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    Ok, after testing the asder beta for a week, I can say for sure that it:
    1. Fixes the majority of black screen issues, but they will still happen in some games (for me, the only game still causing black screens is Diablo 3).

2. Horribly degrades the preformance of the card. Other people have done benches of the card using 12.7 official beta drivers vs. asder's to show the effect, but my main problem was that the card seems to actually throttle down under load ingame, causing a horrible stuttering effect. That being said, I still prefer not having to reset my comp on a daily basis.

So, once again, it seems this problem is purely driver based. Has anyone had these issues with AMD sponsored games (Dirt series, Deus Ex, etc.)? I have a sinking suspicion that this problem is mainly if not entirely with "nvidia" games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.