Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. rediem

rediem Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 3450
    Doesn't work for me, maybe because my videocard is too old AMD 3450 HD, Native resolution for my monitor Flatron Wide 22 - 1680x1050

Tried different monitor drivers, disabled everything that has to be disabled & the resolution just doesn't show up @ CCC or on Windows Screen Resolution.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I am wondering what s lost in the transition. I mean for example a 1080p monitor displaying 2560x1440, please correct me if I am wrong but that monitor can only display 2073600 pixels vs 3686400 pixels of a 2560x1440 resolution.

Thank you for any help on this.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

What driver release are you using?

The display will always use all it's pixels regardless of whether it is higher or lower than native resolution. The changes are to the contents of each pixel. It's effectively like supersampling where the transition from one line of pixels to another is improved due to pixel data for more than one standard pixel being used to create the final pixel.

4. rediem

rediem Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 3450

If I Change Hdisplay & Vdisplay to the same values as Width Height it appears in the selection, but it obviously doesn't work since my display can't handle it.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

According to your graphics card's specifications page
    Perhaps you could try plugging the display into the other dvi port?

If above doesn't work then it might be worth trying with a refresh rate of 59Hz when entering the custom resolution settings. Other than that, as you've tried the custom monitor files, I'm out of ideas.

ps.

If you have only been trying for 2560x1600 then maybe 1920x1200 might be usable and would still provide a reasonable bump in quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  6. rediem

rediem Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 3450
    I was using DVI to DVI, then switched DVI to HDMI (HDMI is on my graphics card). Still nothing, tried different resolutions also.

Tried 59hz, still nothing.

Is it possible with someone with Teamviewer to come & try to set, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm not sure if there is anything else that can be done. Perhaps try googling for your specific display and if others using it have tried downsampling? perhaps with an nvidia card.

Also I know you probably just want to get the utility to work and I'm not entirely sure about the extent of control Teamviewer provides remotely, but keep in mind that it could be a potential security risk.

8. Kupo

Kupo Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    HDisplay and VDisplay should be left at your monitor's native resolution. You should only need to change the Width and Height values. Since 1680x1050 is a 16:10 ratio (not 16:9), try setting them to 2560 and 1600, respectively.

9. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Nice. This works like a charm in Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga.

You can force AA on the game, and it does work, but because of the deferred rendering it creates the "halo" of light around some objects.

Using this technique to create a 2560x1440 psuedo desktop and then having it downscale to the native 1920x1080 and with some light FXAA Injector added in looks fantastic.

This should also be the ticket to recovering some of that AA goodness I lost in NFS:HP now that I can't use the old driver technique due to the 7900 series upgrade.

Gotta love PC gaming with the workarounds people come up with :)

Bats

10. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    So I just saw this thread pop back up top and had forgotten to test it in Skyrim.

So here's the results!

I get 89fps from using 2xSSAA and 16xAF at 1920x1080 in this specific scene. I rebooted the PC and made a fresh save at that spot and did not move or looked around. Video memory in use was 2570mb.

I get 91fps from using 2xMSAA at 2560x1440 in the same exact conditions as above. Usage for of video ram was 2780, so up 200mb. But still better frame rate.

I tried the above conditions 3 times and the results were the same each time.

Now for some image quality comparisons.

Original shots are huge btw...

Here is the original 1920x1080 w/ 2xSSAA and 16xAF

Here is the original 2560x1440 w/ 2xMSAA and 16xAF

Now here are some samples... of the very clear difference of who is the winner of the two. I will just put 1080 or 1440 on each sample so you know which is which.

1080:
    [​IMG]
    1440:
    [​IMG]

1080:
    [​IMG]
    1440:
    [​IMG]

Well... you be the judge of that. :nerd:

11. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Are those down-converted images, or are you running at 2560x1440 native?

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    If you have a 2560x1440 monitor then I would imagine that running at a higher down-scaled image probably won't be of much benefit. Could be wrong.

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    are you talking about the 'the larger the monitor, the less AA is needed' idea? cuz that's a myth that assumes you move further away from it each time you get a larger screen (so that it's the same visual dimensions to your eyes)

on a desktop, i sit about the same distance whether it's 17" or 24", i like to immerse, so the AA levels are not changing (4xAA is what i would prefer for everything, but i do accept FXAA/SMAA)

increased pixel density monitors are another story, those would reduce the need for AA

14. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Try a comparison with 4xSSAA, because 2xSSAA has imperfect visual quality (I never used 2xSSAA).

15. GregP

GregP Member

GPU:
    2 x 7970
    Wow: tried this last night on my Samsung S27A750D 120Hz 3D monitor and it really hosed my system ... tried 2560x1440 res and my monitor started an insane flicker that then caused an endless cycle of reboots. Luckily I have other monitors attached and had to remove the Samsung monitor from my device list, reinstall the drivers, etc. and then go in and delete the 2560x1440 profile I'd created.

So bottom line is -- this does NOT work on a Samsung S27A750D.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah, not too sure how to set this up for 120Hz monitors. There is a refresh rate filed but there is probably more to it. It could also just be down to the display.

Probably good practice to create a system restore point before trying this for the first time, especially with newer hardware.

17. GregP

GregP Member

GPU:
    2 x 7970
    Yeah, I even tried the whole process twice -- the second time making sure I specified 60Hz in the new profile as opposed to the 120Hz it defaulted to the first time -- and got the exact same result each time. Not pretty ... wasted almost two hours on that.

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    BlackZero,
    Thank you very much...It's working like a charm!

PS. R-E-S-P-E-K :)

19. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I get a CMD error when i run the program,

What can i do to fix this?

20. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF