A new gaming console "The Ouya" announced

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by UnrealGaming, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This.
    And its especially a great idea for Indie developers, this will start a new generation of games and utility programmers.

I hope they put more than 1GB of ram in it though.
    For gaming, low GPU power can be compensated for by video sequences and different size textures.
    To use these well can require a lot more memory, especially when running 1080p.

I hope they can use methods of purchasing that dont store/process any private user details on the machine.
    ie maybe make purchases using another internet device, by phone ...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    It all depends on the games. Not gonna pay for 10 min distractions like AngryBirds. :p

3. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Well still if you dont want it for gaming it would make for a nice speced media player/web surfer

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Meh, we can always recycle one of our older PCs for that purpose.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Dunno whats more freaky, the money or the guy. (is that you? plz say no)

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    naa i dont look like jabba the hut :D

8. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28180-ouya-scores-another-title

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The NES game ? oh probably ff6 from what i understand.

10. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    LOL, indeed

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What surprises me....is that Noisiv hasn't been attacked for pointing out downfalls to Android....lol Nicely done sir!!

I'm also surprised that anyone can actually be negative about an open source, "hackable" game console. Especially one that's reasonably priced. I mean, sure, it's likely to fail....won't argue there...but at least they're willing to try something new!

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Stupid localizations...

13. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    No, FF3, not 6, they dropped the whole 6 = 3 bit when they released Final Fantasy Anthology on PSX and the Final Fantasy 3 remake on NDS is still called FF3, so it will most likely be the actual FF3.
    Which is good in my mind as I'd rather they don't "upgrade" FF6's graphics, what with how ugly the PSP versions of FF1, 2 and 4 are, they look like bad RPG Maker VX games using the default blocky RTP that comes with the program, it wouldn't look right with the amount of details FF6's monster sprites have and its more mature, darker look and approach compared to the other games in the series (the game was completely mistranslated by everyone, and I really mean EVERYONE, even the GBA retranslation was still rather innaccurate, not to mention how they butchered the colours, sounds and music).
    Making it 3D would also be a huge discredit to those sprites and make some of the more serious scenes laughable (FF4DS' more serious scenes were ridiculously silly because of their faithful translation of 2D scenes to 3D scenes).

On another note, doesn't anyone find it really silly their marketing is all about "we love games on a TV"? Like, I don't know, from where I'm standing it seems that every single consoles can be plugged into a TV, with the obvious exceptions of the NDS and 3DS, and last I checked you could use your TV as a monitor for your PC.

The only real benefit I can see from this is that indie developers can just sit down and start working without restrictions, but that's a double edged sword, considering the state of indie games on systems like Xbox Live.

14. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    They are already prepping XBMC for this console. This thing is going to kick some serious ass.

Im going to load my console up with every NES, SNES, N64 game etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I think they might be in trouble if they are trying to run emulators of other companies games. Not sure what the laws are but it could end up their downfall.

16. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    The console is hackable. This means the software is open source. The user can decide what he/she wants to run on it.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's gonna fall hard on it's ass. March next year for launch and right here and right now they have nothing. Literally nothing, no confirmed hardware producer, no production line, no distribution, no direct download interface or service in place, and no confirmed day one developer releases and that's just the things I can think of off the top of my head add to that even with the kickstarter money they have exactly a fraction of p*ss all needed to get a new console to market. MS spent $500million on the launch of the XBox alone!

People still seem to avoid the question what if Sony or MS decided to emulate Android on their current consoles? Sony teamed up with Google for their Smart TVs to do exactly this so it isn't that big of a stretch. The only reason I can see for them not doing it so far is their is no cash directly in it for them.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sony and MS will not allow anything to run on their consoles that will take away support for their own services.
    Look what Sony did with Linux support, they actually removed the feature!

19. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Emulation itself is perfectly legal, and its not like the BIOS of pre-CD based systems are hard to emulate.

...that being said, I can't imagine they would have the rights to let users install licensed content, so that would have to be obtained [hopefully legally] by the consumer.

20. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    With fewer than 40 hours remaining in our Kickstarter campaign, it’s still business as usual at OUYA headquarters. We continue to jam on the task at hand, but we’ve got four quick announcements to share with you in this update.

First: We’ve been hearing requests from all over the Internet for a media player. Well we’re proud to announce that we just partnered with XBMC.

That’s right. The award-winning, open source media player and entertainment hub is coming to OUYA. We’ve heard many of you buzzing about a potential OUYA-XBMC partnership since Day One of launch. (Something of a match made in open source heaven!) Now, with a few hours left in our drive, we’re delivering.

Believe it, friends: XBMC, on OUYA, on your TV, legit.

Here it is, straight from the XBMC team:

Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was because of the hundreds, if not thousands, of demands on Twitter, in blogs, on Facebook, in Reddit, and in Kickstarter comments. Maybe it's because many of Team OUYA support XBMC, and nearly a third of Team XBMC members are OUYA backers.

Regardless, we are delighted to announce that XBMC will be working with OUYA to ensure that XBMC works well on the OUYA platform. OUYA's Android underpinnings and XBMC's work on Android (soon to be merged into master, pending final sign-offs!) will dramatically speed up that effort, as will early XBMC dev access to OUYA prototypes.

The conversation between our two teams is young, but talk is ongoing and positive. We look forward to providing more exciting news on this front as it develops.

- Nathan Betzen, XBMC Community Manager

And to our friends outside the US: we hear you. XBMC runs in over 40 different languages.

But that’s not all.

We’re boosting our radio reception around the world. We’ve partnered with TuneIn, a free service that lets people listen to the world's music, sports and news from wherever they are. With over 70,000 stations and two million on-demand programs, TuneIn offers unmatched variety for listeners across 230 countries and territories.

Enough of the tell and tell, we’ve also got some show and tell: That’s right! New renders for you. Eager to answer your questions about the size of OUYA, the team at fuseproject created some images to demonstrate the scale of the console and controller. Scroll down to check them out.

And, I guess I will end this update on a housekeeping note. Throughout our run on Kickstarter, our campaign page has served as the official OUYA information resource. After the campaign closes, we will unveil a new OUYA site at www.ouya.tv that will serve as OUYA central moving forward.

So with that, I’d like to thank you all once more for believing in this project and supporting it from the beginning. Again, we only have a handful of hours remaining, so please tell your friends about what we’re trying to do here. It’s your support that makes OUYA possible.

-Julie

------

We just added game streaming through OnLive! Final Fantasy will be on OUYA...and we have an exclusive game! And VEVO has agreed to put their music videos on OUYA. We're honored by all of you who are backing us -- THANK YOU. We are focused on delivering for you, first come first served. We can only promise OUYA by March to our Kickstarter backers.

Engadget! PC World! Kotaku! The Guardian! Joystiq! Forbes! GameSpot! BusinessWeek! The Verge! Wired! IGN! The New York Times! Time!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012