Prototype 2!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2010.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I tested a copy while I'm waiting for mine to arrive... And it turns out it could be faulty crk fix fault, at least that's what i saw.. Hopefully.

Im gonna see later today when i get my legit copy. :banana:

2. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I'm starting to loose it.

I downloaded the game over Steam last night, today i tried to run it.
    First i had to verify the game cache, something i never had to do before.

When i start the game, i get some kind of grey screen and the game crashes with the "exe stopped working" error.
    One time it crashed so hard :)D) that i even got artifacts followed by a blue screen.
    Looks like the game has some problems with AMD drivers or something.

The card itself runs fine, i can run any other game without the card overheating or reacting weird...

I also tried every possible fix i could find on Google, nothing helped.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I just cannot emphasise how much I'm digging this game. I simply cannot stop playing it and I'm at 70% completion after almost 20 hours of playing. Heller is on level 16 and I'm on the third (and final) island having done every sidequest (Black Boxes, Field Agents and Lairs). The Whipfist is especially fun and there's lots of silly things to try out (I love the Bio-Bomb and Kick option!).

What makes this game so appealing and addictive is that it constantly rewards you, whether it's enhanced speed, jump, health or whatnot, increased abilities (helicopters, rifles, rocket launchers, etc.) or a new power up. As such it's hard to stop playing as a new toy is usually just a few missions away. The missions are also a lot of fun and there's enough variety that it doesn't get boring even after 20 hours of playing. There are also lots of entertaining Challenges that you can try at any time for further unlocks such as an Alex Mercer skin! The third island allows you to hijack and fly helicopters and by that point Heller's speed is insane and he can jump over skyscrapers!!! So much FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! :D

The graphics are also excellent for a sandbox game and I've not encountered any bugs, glitches or crashes. The engine does a good job of fading in stuff as you approach it without being in-yer-face about it and the pop up only really manifests itself when you're flying around, whether in a helicopter or not. I think the game is much better looking than the first and if it ran at 60 fps all the time, as it should do with SLI, then it'd be just about perfect. The voice-acting is decent and the rest of the audio is fitting without ever standing out in any way (the music is there but not memorable). There's a meandering story that involves Mercer from the original but to be honest it's not that interesting. Still these kind of games don't need to have great stories and, like Just Cause 2, Prototype 2 is just the ideal game to dip in and out of for a few hours without ever really needing to understand what is going on.

I'm actually surprised at how much I like this. It is definitely one of my favourite games of 2012 so far and I'd give it 8.5/10.

One weird thing with the game is that it contantly tells you when you've achieved your personal best in whatever you're doing but nowhere can I view my Statistics for the game to see how far I've jumped/flown, how many infected/soldiers I've killed, how far I've ran, how long I've been playing, etc., etc. That's a bit of a missed opportunity right there IMO.

4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Having now topped out Heller's jumping ability alongside now owning claws, tendrils and the just now acquired shield that deflects enemy missiles right back at them the game is really starting to come alive. I think what Radical have done well with the second game is to make using everything you acquire feel much more seamless than it was before, whatever the enemy type attacking you can take them all on at once with good use of your powers and plenty of rapid movement.

Proto 2 has a much more refined feel to the combat compared to that of the first. Although killing stuff completely at random is always nice having a full on amount of control to inflict what kind of damage you want to cause with any given form at any given time is much more rewarding I find. And dare I even say it Heller just feels much more bad ass than Alex even at my current lower stages due to it. The way Heller can leap miles into the air then directly physically connect his tendrils to a chopper which then attach themselves to anything they can within the vicinity whether that be cars, people or parts of scenery is just awe inspiring. Alex always felt kind of hit and miss when it came to air attacks but thanks to the tendrils that's no longer an issue.

I thought the first fight I had with the Super Soldiers was simply awesome. I didn't expect two Hulkish armoured bastards to suddenly be tearing me down and I loved the way they fought all out even able to knock you from doing your fancy overhead leaping move to avoid sneaky rear attacks. Made for some epic fighting.

Also the more I play the more it begins to dawn on me how good a PC port this actually is. I know people have had issues but I do think there's fair room for praising a developer that no longer exists as they once did for a pretty bang up job. Or should that be to whom ever handled the port I still say things could have turned out so much worse. A patch may still be possible however for those who really feel the game requires one, I'm not one of them however. GRFS has had no less than three patches already and I still don't find that game as playable as this currently is without a single patch to its name.

I wanted to add more but I will say that once the Prototype 2 experience is over I will no doubt feel quite sad that such a unique gaming experience may not be available to me in the future once more and once more in an even more improved form. The jump from Proto 1 to 2 is clearly evident. The jump from 2 to 3 however would have been nothing short of ****ing monstrously epic.

If you loved and enjoyed the first the second game is simply begging to be played. There's changes present you may not take to straight away mind but overall it really is the sequel the first game deserved.

5. Pura.

Pura. Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim
    i just cant describe how bad this game works on my pc and i dont understand why....

i try ed just about everything .. from lowering everything to minimum to all possible options on this forum ... testing other games , 3d mark etc(everything was fine )

my standard fps is around 30 dropping to 16 when anything else happens other then running and going to 60 when i go up the buildings or on the menu... its ****ing unplayable like this ... my main guess was triple buffer ... did force it with CCC and RadeonPro ( d3doverrider doesn't start for some reason x64? ) no change ... even forced other Crossfire profiles

any advice from gurus ?

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    does the first one work well? the game is heavily cpu dependent, id recommend maxing that cpu first. If its still crap performance wise try minimizing settings, tbh the game runs like $hit in crossfire as it rarely uses more than 120% of crossfire gpu power.

7. Pura.

Pura. Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim
    ye the first one was 60fps stable ... this one just feels broken

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I can not use msi afterburner when playing the game. it would cause cut scenes not to show causing the game to go to endless loading screen. I closed it and the cut scenes would play

9. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    What video drivers you using? 301.42, or beta?

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    beta 304.79

11. Bukeagle

Bukeagle Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Long time lurker here!

Stone Gargoyle, Darren, just had to log in and say: really good to read you guys are so into P2! About time I read some positive stuff!

RPS just gave it a 'meh', which sucks, but Yahtzee at Zero Punctuation seemed to dig it, which is VERY rare!

I absolutely love this game. First game is one of my favourite games ever, really struck some sort of chord with me- I even liked the graphics!

Second one is now one of the games of the year for me, needless to say. Only drawback: too short- there's no reason to keep playing after completion, as collectables are marked on map and so easily found. In P1, I STILL haven't found all the web peeps!

And I've (luckily, it seems?) have had ZERO problems with this port- it's smooth, slick, and, with a 360 controller, runs and plays brilliantly. Using 301.24 drivers, incidentally.

One favourite moment: flying into the Red Zone for the first time, sky scrapers towering, fallen, red goo piled and stretched between the streets. Awesome!

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Okay this is weird, the game got pulled from my steam store page and even the Indian & Israeli (Yosef's post) ones.

13. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Which driver do Nvidia owners advice? I'm running a 560ti 448 @ 900/1800/2200 with i5-2500 and sometimes doesn't matter what settings it gets around 45fps.
    The card should be capable of maxing it out, or do I need to buy another gpu?
    Using last beta.
    Any advices?

14. Bukeagle

Bukeagle Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    As I said, I'm using 301.24 drivers. Getting 50-60 in most situations. That's great.

Frankly I think this game looks good enough to be considered a more demanding title- ambient occlusion and all that, see. Just the textures can be low detail if you're really looking- but the overall look and feel of the environments, coupled with the chaos you can cause, makes for one fiiiiiiiiiine looking game.

15. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi Guys....

I have one problem, im getting some stuttering or slowness when the fps is around 45-60, i have tried disabling VSYnc, problem still there actually fps is good, and the audio volume is too low......:(

prblm solved, Locked my FPS to 40 via MSI Afterburner, it's now super smooth.... :)))

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012

16. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I used to tinker with beta drivers quite a bit. But the pros didn't outweigh the cons in most cases. Graphical glitches here and there, and odd performance issues.

If you're having problems, revert back to official release, if you haven't tried that already.

17. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Still nothing that could fix my problem with the game.
    I also tried unplugging all input devices, different drivers, a fresh reinstall of the game... everything that could possibly cause a ****up like this.

I'm getting frustrated.

18. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi mate, wat caused BSOD, BSOD code? chk ur mnindump with "Bluescreenview" Software.......

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Running fine here with AMD's latest official beta(12.6 or 12.7) drivers, i got little lag, while the fps was good around 40-60, so i locked Fps@ 40 with Msi Afterburner, now it's smooth......

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Just arrived on the second island otherwise known as The Green Zone. Game is 36% complete after 16 hours. Going well so far.

[​IMG]

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Looks good played some with cracked version, went and bought it off G2play.net for $31....downloading now

computer played it great at 60fps, add some AA flag and some setting and game fps went down, but game looks better without the jaggies.

I have to keep it at 3x3, tried it at 4x4 but it took 2 minutes for logo to even play, and then in game, it was like 3fps

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012