At what age did you become self sufficient/independant?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by FULMTL, Jul 29, 2012.

1. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I was 18, and was taught by the US Navy in boot camp to live on my own.

2. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I'm 24 and still leaving with my parents. I have plans to move out though but only when I saved enough money, which won't be in the next 5 years. They don't have a problem with me living with them and neither do I so ... I cook my own food when I'm late from work/home alone, pay my own bills, buy my own stuff and give them my meal vouchers for the food so yeah, I see myself as being pretty independent.

3. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    you call it trap. What if i dont have other choice??

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well,spending all my summer holidays since a toddler at my granpa's house/ village and put to work as anyone else .
    Learned the hard way to sustain myself,learned to cook,and work for shelter and food.
    Got to the level i was able to work as an adult,and my granpa never forgot to repay me,gave me an awesome wristwatch and a leather jacket.
    Never felt so rich in my life.

I went out of the country at 18 for 6 months and loved every minute.Ever since i wanted to get out and live on my own.
    Well since 2004 i emigrated and i live on my own.i pay my own bills,cook my own food and i am happy.
    Op,i know what one feels seeing a person who still depends on their parents or aren't able to boil an egg.
    But each one to his own.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm 23 and still live with my parents and bro. No need to make things hard, much cheaper this way since I study. No loans, no debt, short distance to work and school. Though, I'm fully capable in handling myself. One things stabilize, it will be time to move out.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    16. Was renting a room & sometimes cooking food or eating out.

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    go to the bank, get money, then pay tru years.

10 years later live under a bridge D:, check spain haha.

J/k, i'm going to rent a cheap ROOM (not whole house/flat). Basically because im moving another city, and not like buying a house for 3years :3eyes: (if they become more, then i buy). Young = better to dont have debts.

Anyways in spain most people guys house, imo renting if you know you are gona live there forever = waste of money, if you rent in a zone you may move in a future = investing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    in eastern europe many young people live with their parents up to 30 years old, this is one of the reasons we are so unevolved

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I started work at age 14 and was on my own at age 15. I would do the same thing if I had to do it all over again.

10. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    I think I did it the best way possible. I waited until I was 27. I saved up enough money to buy a house and other households needs with cash. Instead of jumping into a mortgage right after becoming an adult, I now own a house outright. I even keep a 2 year buffer of cash in case I ever stop making money. I wish everyone would do that. I've never borrowed a penny in my life and don't plan to.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Moved out at 16. Perfectly normal here... 90% of my friends moved out at the same age.

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Payed for all my own things from about 15-16 onward, contributed towards groceries and utilities as well until I was first "fully" on my own at 23. I didn't have any reason to mover out sooner, even although I could have afforded it. I got along pretty well with my parents (and still do years later) and those years were a good time to save all that rent money and not be flat broke at 30 like most young people are these days.

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

23 and still living with my mother mainly because I'm still going at school. After I'm done with university and find a job, I'm planning to leave. I'm already a bit independant since I pay all my school myself, my clothes, my bikes... well almost everything! Except of course any bills related to upkeep a house.

For me, It's just a place to live like any others. It happens to be my mom's. lol

14. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moved out at 15/16, fully independent at 18. Paid for all three brothers through school at 22-25. Now they're paying for me. :p What goes around, comes around..

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    10 years old, i came from an abusive vindictive family which believed it was the norm to slave drive their kids and strip away their childhood to suit their needed. at the age of 10 i was the slave cook, cleaner, and everything other than what a child was meant to do at that age who wasent allowed out or to even have friends, i even had to run home every night from school to complete the 5mile trip at the same speed my step dad timed it in a car or their would be problems when i got home late... all while my mum and step dad drank them selfs sobar and only provided beans on toast for meals daily, i brought my bro/sisters up until i turned 15 and ran away from home and ended up in hostels

ive not spoke to any of the "x"family sense i was 15 and im now 25 this aug and i would prefer never to lay eyes on them for as long as i have the ability not to

16. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    17, moved 2000 kilometers away from home, got a part time job and went to University. Finished it, moved 1500 kilometer further away from home, got a job in my profession. Living a happy life ;)

17. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    21 when I moved to University. I have always been self sufficient at home, working and earning my own pay but it wasn't til I moved to University I became fully self dependent. Even not living up to the poor student stereotype and aiming for a First Class Honors :). Also helped me shift about 25kg in weight too!

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I'm 25 and I'm still at home, sue me. I'm working full time, running a company in spare time and studying a masters, I will move out when I find a better job

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    18 and still i have no plans for "future" just keep studying lol

20. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I left at 17 when I joined the army.