Brand new 7850. It brings only trouble.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Masklin, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
    Hello forumites!

First I installed 12.6, and realized afterwards that the CCC is crap, and that 12.4 is much better, so I switched (took 30 mins, because AMD thought it a good idea not to list its drivers in Add/Remove programs).

So then I installed ASUS GPU Tweak and ATI Tray Tool as replacements for CCC, and then all I get is crashing as soon as I play a video, start a game, or something else graphics-related.

Now I have uninstalled both GPU Tweak and Tray Tools, and it doesn't crash.

But, what am I supposed to do? I can't change contrast, I can't change AA/AF settings, I can't force vsync off... not to mention clocking this card which supposedly clocks like a boss.

I'm starting to regret this purchase. nVidia are less trouble.

I'm willing to accept that I'm simply doing something wrong of course.

Before you ask, I cleaned old drivers completely before each driver change, so that can't be the problem.

Please help! I want to think highly of AMD but it's really really hard at this very moment.

Masklin

2. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    Hi Masklin,

Just curious what brand of card is your HD7850?

3. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
  4. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    lol at this...normal people DO NOT USE ATI TRAY TOOLS AND RADEON PRO...THESE BRING ONLY TROUBLE, CCC IS THE MOST SAFE APP...

SAME WITH THE OVERCLOCK...MAX OUT THE CCC OVERDRIVE, POWERTUNE, CORE, MEMEORY PROVIDE THE SMOOTHEST EXPERIENCE...AND WITH 0 BUGS...

5. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
    But Overdrive can't push further than 1050 MHz, which is a shame, seeing as anything under 1200 MHz is a cakewalk for it. =/

6. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    yeah ok...almost 200 mhz from stock 860 is bad...when you fry it tell us...gpu and cpu should never pass 60 degrees Celsius during gameplay...for stutter free experience...:)

7. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
    Tell that to my old 9800GX2. It ran four years around 90 degrees C. ;-)

8. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    I don't even know where to start..
    Did you even test the card on stock before? You should do this some weeks before you start overclocking.

Not every 7850 will be able to run 1200mhz. Even 1050mhz can be a Problem if you trust some Benchmark pages.
    You also may have to raise the Voltage. And even then there is no guaranty it will run 1200mhz without issues. You shoudln't believe every trash you read in some forums. People always claim they can run high clockrates. But from what i tested most of time they are just telling crap after their clockrate was stable for 5 Minutes in BF3.
    If your card crashs it doesn't seem like a cakewalk for it. Never buy a card because you think "oh, when i overclock it i'll get the power i want" if you want more power buy a better card. See overclocking as some kind of gift.

If you want a Nvidia maybe you wanna buy my old 560Ti? It crashs in every DX11 now and then. But you easy can fix it by raising the Voltage then you are even able to overclock it 5mhz (yeah really 5mhz). More than 5mhz will crash it. But still it's a great card.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
    7850 was worth the money because it OC'd so well... can't send it back now, so might as well make the best of it.

By the way, why don't my ASUS GPU Tweak settings 'take'? I put it to 1150, but it shows 860 in the monitor... frustrating.

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Still, it's stupid to buy cards because of OC. If you wanna have more power buy a card with more power. There is no "promise" that you will be able to overclock it as far as you see it in tests. Most tests even tell you that they can't promise that and that every card is different.
    Now you're sitting on a working HD7850 which doesn't handle overclocking so well. And it is annoying you just because you wanted to save around 50-60$. Thats the reason why you never should buy a card because of OC, you just won't get happy with it.

GPU Tweak may just not work - try different tools.

11. Masklin

Masklin Member

GPU:
    HD7850
    Actually it was ATI Tray Tools that messed things up. I've run 1135/1325 MHz now for a while, haven't crashed yet. Temps below 70 C at all times, often under 60 C.

Now the only problem is that without CCC or Tray Tools, I can't play around with things like desktop color settings. Anybody knows of alternatives that won't crash my PC?

A big thanks for all of your replies, although I might not share your views.

12. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    Its relevant because some cards clock better then others and some have been known to have issues that others don't seem affected by.

Also! if you want to overclock your card use the Sapphire Trixx software dummy. :)

You can find it here: https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/TriXX.aspx

Bleh tried to link another interesting thread but the board wont allow it for some reason..:3eyes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  13. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I use CCC for graphic settings but I use TriXX for OC'ing. You can OC all you want with TriXX.

14. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Trixx will use a fix Vcore. It means it wont go back at idle Volts. I just think you people should know that because that's the reason why i stoped using trixx and use GPU Tweak instead.

You also can use GPU Tweak to unlock enhanced overclocking and use CCC.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would give CCC another shot if I were you as you only told us that "the CCC is crap" but no reason why you can't use it. Yes, I loved old CP, but CCC got a lot of features now and only disadvantage is higher memory use.

If you have trouble running it, try to install/reinstall .NET/Visual cpp redistributable as it is needed. It is usually in pack with driver.

16. lothyr

lothyr Guest

GPU:
    EAH 6850 DC
    Gut Reaction

My gut reaction is that something else is wrong with your PC...I have HD 6850 (remote relative of your card I suppose).

12-4 WHQL are good drivers, so no problem there.
    Vision w/Overdrive is pretty good too, I had no problems with it.

I used Gpu Tweak for a long time and it worked no problem...install and run as admin, somewhere there is a button to allow enhanced or something overclocking range...could be version specific...I used Version 2124, 2171 did not work for me...

I have since reverted to ATI's tray tools for everything GPU related, but i did see conflicts with GPU Tweak and ATT, but since i didn't need both, i got rid of GPU Tweak. ATT will work for you I think...

If your interested, this guy named "Koroush Ghazi" wrote up some excellent guides here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Pretty much changed my system based on his guides and have had great results...but do as you wish, but everywhere I look people say "disable/get rid of CCC & MOM" at least for gaming...I did it to try to lower number of processes...

P.S. I know you said you removed drivers, etc...BUT you may wanna take a look at this and verify you followed these steps...long process, but thorough.

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

17. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ^ that I was about to write. Masklin, please read this over again for me.

18. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    i wont agree the GPU not passing over 60C part :/
    most gpus reach 70-80c on stock clocks. my 295GTX would reach 85c on stock clocks, i would still overclock it lol.

19. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    even with 85-90C you are still going to get stutter free experience anyway :)

20. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    it appears on my computer...
    Control panel>Programs(uninstall a program)>AMD Catalyst Manager