AMD 12.3 to 12.6 Problem! Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sheflox, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    Hello! I am new to this site and I am not the most computer savy so bare with me. I have been having some problems lately with my graphic card, which from what I am reading from my device manager is a ATI Radeon HD 4600 series.

Now the problem I have been having is updating it recently every time I would restart my computer I would have to re-update my AMD Catalyst program from 12.3 to 12.6 (which I've done 3 times.) Someone told me to fix this issue of having to re-update it every time I reboot, I need to go to msconfig and uncheck AMD(in the start up menu) and that would fix it. Since I have done that(and I rechecked it after this) the install hangs and will not complete 12.6 update. Now because of this when I try to use certain programs like World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria my computer will go black every 5 to 10 minutes then go back on and say that the graphic card stopped working and then corrected itself(AMD is still at 12.3 keep in mind.)

The other issue that I have had (and I am not entirely sure this relates to the graphic card or not) is that I have recently got a HDMI chord to connect from my computer to my LG TV, now the display works immaculately BUT no sound comes out of the TV and when I initially plug in the HDMI chord my computer displays a message saying that the there is not sound and that in fact it isn't even a HDMI chord but a DVI. Now I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my graphic card or if I'm just shooting up the wrong alley.

Anyways, thought I'd ask you guys and see if anyone has any knowledge/ideas on what I could possibly do to fix these situations. Any and all help or input would be most appreciated, thank you.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    I downloaded and attempted to install the first link and as it was installing part way it said I did not have permission to run this. My account is already administrator, and I did not see a Run as administrator option, any suggestion?

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    whats ur os?

5. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    Windows 7 (64bit)

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    temporarily disable UAC untill you get the new driver installed.

and make sure to run as administrator when you install the uninstaller (lol)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    I was able to install the first program and I am DLing the other link as well, after that is done I will run the first and install the second, then restore my UAC to the level it was at before. BUT I must say I am nervous because as I stated up in my post at the top originally every time I restart my computer updates do not stay. I will test this after I run and install and hopefully all problems are fixed will let you know how it goes, in mere moments.

8. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    Just ran the program it is giving me 3 options to choose from.

Automatic Uninstallation

Selective Uninstallation

Quick Uninstallation (For same family re-install)

I only ask because I want to solve this issue verse making it worse, I apologize for needing my hand held during this hehe.

9. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    I went with Quick Uninstall and then after the restart I installed the second link and it worked brilliantly. Changed my UAC back and restarted and it is still 12.6. Thank you very much! Everything worked perfectly, now I need to test the HDMI audio issue.

10. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    Went to test out my HDMI chord the display worked after I restarted the computer but the audio still doesn't work. I checked the Sound options as I have been both told and have read. The option in which I think I should be enabling is "Digial Audio (HDMI) in the Sound options. But it has a red arrow down saying not plugged in. I'm wondering if this is was my graphic card problem or if it is something else. Do you have any suggestions to fix this or am I supposed to get a chord that connects audio from my computer to TV?

I thought HDMI worked with both display and audio, or apparently I am wrong.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

11. ijbarah

ijbarah Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD6300M
    hi

if you need to solve your problem follow this please cuz i have the same issue :

download DriverNavigator its free http://www.drivernavigator.com/
    then let the drive search its self
    you will see the audio drive has issue or need an update just click download then install

thats it.

goodluck

12. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    Only problem is that it costs money, free solution?

13. headkase

headkase Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380 4GB Nitro
    Go: Here. Click on HD Audio Codec Driver. Check the "I agree" box and then "Next." Then download and install the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" driver.

That will hopefully sort you out. Don't forget to go into your Control Panel after and in the Sound applet choose to use the HDMI audio. Also, under the Recording tab of the Sound applet: right click in a blank spot and in the context menu choose "Show disabled devices" and then a new device, Stereo Mix, should appear. Right click that one and choose enable.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  14. Sheflox

Sheflox Guest

GPU:
    I DL'd that and all that it did was change the name of the HDMI Audio, it still says its unplugged, I know how to select it as default once its working but my problem is it just keeps saying its not plugged in, when it obviously is.

And now I have a new problem after Downloading that I've noticed that my computer will randomly shut off while I'm using it. Be it that I am on youtube listening to music or playing a video game or doing both at the same time. Sometimes it works fine for several hours and others it will just shut off. How can i fix this?

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds like you dont have a HDMI 1.4 spec cord.

v1.4 contains conductors for sound, prior version dont.

also, check your setup on the TV.

Normally when it says its unplugged, the ASICs arent talking.

I doubt its on the computer side.

Either you have a bum cord, or its diabled on the TV.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

16. headkase

headkase Guest

GPU:
    Your computer should also not randomly shut off. That is usually caused by the computer's thermal protection kicking in and shutting down the computer before excess heat can damage its components. You should open up your computer and check it for dust/dirt buildup - especially in the heat sinks. If there is any blow it out with a can of compressed air. Never use a vacuum around a computer as those tend to build up large amounts of static electricity which can easily damage your computer - always use compressed air. You might want to blow out the computer outside if there is a lot of buildup. While blowing out the heat sinks you should not blow the fans on them up to full speed. Stick your finger in the fan while blowing to prevent it from rotating. A rotating fan from compressed air can have its rotors damaged - sticking your finger in it prevents that.

17. headkase

headkase Guest

GPU:
    By the way, the download link I gave? Realtek supplies all of AMD's audio solutions on their graphics cards. The Realtek link is always the latest HDMI Audio driver available. The audio drivers included in the official AMD drivers always lag behind what is available on Realtek's site.

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yeah, that sounds like CPU TDP.

Make sure your fan is actually working on the CPU, my guess is its not..

if it is, go get Aida64 and keep an eye on the thermals.

the pentium core processors run pretty cool, and will work for a while without an acttive fan, but using the video card in anything but desktop mode will dump a lot of heat into the case. The 4000 series always ran hot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  19. headkase

headkase Guest

GPU:
    Another possible cause of your computer shutting down is if the power supply unit is either not a high enough wattage to begin with OR if it is beginning to fail. Having a power supply from a reputable vendor that is 80+ certified as well is a good thing. A power supply that is beginning to fail or is not rated for what your components are drawing from it is a very serious problem. If the power supply fails suddenly it can produce very bad power outputs in the moments it fails and damage other parts in your computer like the RAM, CPU, mainboard, or graphics card.

So, double check your power supply too - if that is the case you could end up with a dead computer if you don't.

20. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012