Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I have a Powercolor HD 6790 and I have this damn problem too. Actually no problems with the games such as BF 3, Crysis 1-2, Nfs the RUN, Dirt3 etc. But Fifa 12, Heroes of Might and Magic V, Hot Pursuit and the Witcher 2 give randomly black screen or gray screen with vertical lines. I tried Catalyst 11.10,12.2,3,4 and 7 Beta but no luck. I wonder if AMD driver team is aware of the problem or not.. Oh how frustrating!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    well, i want to join the sad club :(

just got my sapphire 7870 and i had this problem occurring in Left 4 dead for god's sake!!...also on skyrim so far

strangely, nothing happened (till now) when i tried single player NFS the run and BF3

i just want to know, is AMD planning on releasing a fix for this?..because..seriously..this is just plain stupid, this problem is happening everywhere left and right and they are just sitting there?

will try some of the fixes in this thread and back to you guys..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  3. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    i see most people who have posted so far have this problem specifically with sapphire but does that really make sense or is amd probably to blame?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Irocing

Irocing Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    If you do a little research and scouting around you'll find this problem
    with different make cards also.

If its a specific card problem pretty sure Sapphire's aware of it.

Was also thinking it could be a Sapphire Card Bios problem.

Hope not, Because not to comfortable with Flashing as alot of people are.

Original take is either card or driver specific.

Later:)

5. vladamir

vladamir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    Has anyone had this issue happen with AMD sponsored games? Dirt 3 came with my card and I didn't play it for nearly long enough for it to be a true test, but while I was playing it I never had a black screen. I'm wondering if this is coincidence or a way to pinpoint what is actually going on with these cards.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    just sent an email to AMD, i want to know if this is actually in for fixing..or they doesn't give a damn, in that case i will go and apply for a replacement (most probably will be refused since the card it self has nothing wrong :((..........
    )

7. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    i think i will go for a gtx 670...hate to put more money into my build but there is nothing i can do about it :(

8. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    just got an email from AMD suuport

here's their response

Response and Service Request History:
    From reviewing the case, I understand that you hare having problem in most games (you tested L4D and Skyrim) whereby at random times during gameplay the monitor will just go blank; the audio loops, and you need to hard reboot.

I do not want to lead us in pointless circles trying to troubleshoot needlessly. I will admit that AMD is aware of a number of issues with the HD7000 series products, and AMD is working very hard to resolve them as quickly as possible. Catalyst 12.7B was released recently. You may wish to try that driver. I honestly think the problem is driver related.

This is AMD's current Bug Reporting Form, and I would encourage you to complete it if possible. The more that do, the better. AMD recently also changed the way it will be releasing drivers. The focus has changed in an effort to provide better drivers, that are more stable and offer more value. That means monthly drivers won't be provided anymore. I suspect a new "Full Release" driver will be out every 2-3 months.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
    I recognize that circumstances might prevent you from being able to respond in time with the information that I have requested. If I do not hear back from you, the service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed, please reply back to me before the 10 days expire, and I will ensure this service request remains open for you.

Best regards,
    Marc
    AMD Global Customer Care

9. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

thx m8 !! its good to know that is a driver issue not a hardware probleme :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  10. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    agreed, RMAing is a pain in the arse and i'm glad i didn't waste time doing it. i am surprised that AMD was so candid about the issue but still, this is a big blemish on their reputation that i won't forget about the next time i upgrade.

11. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    Thanks a lot for the feedback above~~it is a relieve knowing that it was not my system problem..i am also facing exactly the same problem like what u guys mentioned earlier~~

However, weirdly...my friend who tested my GPU for over one week, with substantial overclocking does not has the problem at all~~

i wonder is it a system specific problem...
    u guys all running it with Intel processor?
    Hopefully AMD can take some serious actions to resolve the problem~~or else this will really me my last Ati card~~

12. TheBaller23

TheBaller23 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD 7870OC XFIRE
    I contacted the same guy in AMD and he accepted as well that it's a problem AMD is aware of

13. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    ask him when~~!! i think that is a more important question~~

14. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

15. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    yeah, i saw that one..but anyway..i will try and get a GTX 670 instead of this -defective- piece of art 7870 :(

if that fails, i will try it again with the new driver..see how it goes

16. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    The installation of this seems to be a bit complicated as compared to the normal ones...
    so any updates? going smooth? no crashing? please give us some feedback on whether AMD's new driver can do the job~~

17. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

no brobleme with installation her and i can confirme now that the black screen problem is solved now with this driver ... but i have another probleme with gpu clock he change all the time between 1050mhz and 450mhz in any game and that cause bad performance !!!!

18. Warwick108

Warwick108 Guest

GPU:
    if your running a z77 motherboard please update your bios.. I had the same problem but since i updated my bios ive been fine for close to 3 days =)
    I have a sapphire 7870oc and also z77m-d3h-myp motherboard, hope it works for yous =)

19. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    I've been having this issue (minus the audio loop) with my MSI 7870 OC TwinFrozr 3 - I also can't be 100% sure what's going on, the only thing that I am somewhat sure about is that I can't recall having any issues when the card was at factory settings (1050/1200), but as soon as I increase anything, most notably the memory, the card becomes unreliable. Seems to have the most issues while I use Firefox (14.0.1). All I know is that I ran a Gigabyte GTX560 overclocked handsomely just last week, and I have not had a single crash or problems, nor a year before then with my GTX460, or before that with my GTX275. The current hardware (mobo, CPU, PSU, etc.) have been used for the past 2 years, without inasmuch as a hiccup, now, with the HD7870, I get "grey screens", "black screens", fan goes to max and system reboots, but the monitor won't come on until I physically power off my computer and start it up again. Temps are always fine - card hasn't gone over 65C at any point, and I am not nor have I touched voltage. There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern, but like has been stated, it gets worse in Firefox. Tom's Hardware is the worst, if I go there and i stay on the main page and just scroll up and down with my mouse wheel, I am more surprised by now if the GPU doesn't crash than if it does. So sad...I miss nvidia already...but I really want to stick with this card!

20. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    i have installed it as well~~
    AMD updated the openGL driver i think~~
    played 3~4 DOTA 2 matches over the weekend (no time)~~so far doesn't has any problem yet~~

waiting for their official driver to release~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.