Never loaning money to a friend ever again!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Morketh, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Not necessarily true. If she had paid you the money back then it wouldn't be a problem. Regardless who I've lent money to in the past, be it friends or family, I've always managed to get it back some way or another. Even if she pays you so much back a week/a month it's still something.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    so morketh old buddy can I borrow some money

3. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    The only time I pay for things would be at a bar, and generally we either pay separate or trade who pays next time we're out. Otherwise, they are on their own. If they aren't going to be your friend if you don't give them free money they will likely not be your friend when they don't pay you that money back either. If they're the type to pay people back they probably don't need the money in the first place ;)

The fact that her credit is maxed out is a big indicator that she's terrible with money.

4. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    I dunno if you can do that in Texas. I was reading about it and looks like no matter what kind of contract you have if they don't want to pay you back then there is not much you can do about it.

5. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    Agreed. I still pay for all of her meals and drinks when she goes out with me as well. Pretty sure that if I did not I would not see her again haha. Damn shame how people are :(

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    At the very least you can put it on her credit. I guess she'd probably just go bankrupt at some point, at which point your judgement is wiped out.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Call Judge Judy

8. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    rly sorry for your 4000$ loss.. such a shame that decent friends turns out not so decent after all...

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    She's seen you coming for a long time by the looks of it.
    Unfortunate mate, lose contact asap.

I was going to post this too :)

I was stiffed by a friend at Uni.
    Turns out he had become a gambling addict and he owed far more to other people, I got off lucky it seems.
    We are no longer friends.

You dont just lose friends through money, I lost a sister over it as well.
    A very long convoluted story that was nothing to do with me, but we all ended up suffering after she got greedy.

10. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    If she can't pay $4K at once, maybe you can ask her to pay in smaller amount several times, say like 8 X $500 ?

A friend in my work place often borrow money from me. Small amount $15 - $50 and she always pays.
    Another friend owed me around $120. It has been more than a year and he hasn't pay me back.
    So it depends on the person really

Several years ago I owed $250 to my brother, and promised him to pay $50 each month. After I paid him 1 time he broke a stuff of mine which worth $300. I stop paying and he never asked his money back. No hard feeling

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

11. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Take something of hers and refuse to give it back. Maybe put her to sleep and take a kidney?

12. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    i've once gave 500GBP to a guy i meet online, playing MUOnline. He needed it to pay for his studies. We were playing together for about 2 years, never seen each other, he paid it back even tho i told him he don't have to.

5 years ago my old "friend" asked me if i can help him with getting his own house - sure, no problem, i'll lend you the money you need - i said. Never again seen or heard about my money from him.

What i've learned from this ?
    Do NOT lend large amount of moneys to friends/family. Lost money. You get better chances of getting money paid back if you give it to a stranger.

13. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I never lend any money more than a $100 to very close friends and family only by knowing if they will be able to pay me back. I usually dont lend money often.

14. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I'm no lawyer her but as far as I know a verbal contract is still a contract.

If you have witnesses or if its a known fact with other friends then I 'think' the law does offer a degree of protection.

NM+ will definitely clear this up if he sees this topic.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It does, if he can prove he gave the money, there's a good change of him getting a judgement.

The problem is, in Texas, its very difficult to get the money from her, especially if she's already in heavy debt. He's right. You can't take most assets, they're exempt. Tools, home furnishing, home, etc, can't be taken. Wages can't be garnished if they can prove they need them for survival, and, judging from her current debt situation, they can likely easily show that.

So, best thing he could do is ding her credit, which is likely already completely thrashed, and pray she doesn't file bankruptcy, at which point, the judgement becomes useless.

16. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you know she can't pay for real, just let it go... dont create an enemy which won't pay for sure, at least if she stays as friend, she'll have a huge debt with you... when she gets money, you may get your money back.

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    4000$ is enogh for killing someone, thats why Don corleone said "money and friends, oil and water"

18. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    If she can't pay you back with money she should pay you back with something else ;)

Unless she's ugly..

19. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Post is premature. If she has not closed on the house yet, then she does not have the money yet. Wait for what she said she would do to transpire. If she closes on the house, and 2 weeks go by after that with no word, call her. If she gets nasty, tell her the following: "I am sorry that you broke your promise, and my trust. Consider this a burned bridge, and an ended friendship, I do not keep company with thieves and liars, goodbye."

If any of your friends have a problem with it, or think you are being a dick: "I trusted her, that is what a friend is, someone you can trust. She broke that trust out of selfishness. I refuse to be friends with anyone selfish, or that breaks my trust."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    If your friend is about the same generation like you and she is kinda hot, leave money out of it, make her your sex puppet and tell her to be **** buddies for a while! if she refuses, threaten her with blackmail!