Analog VU Meters for your media players!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, looking for new plugs for Foobar I came across these oldschool analog VU meters. You can use them with your Foobar player or open them as a stand alone visualizer. The great aspect is you can modify them and make them look how you want. They are incredibly configurable and you can find many skins for them to match certain player skins..etc.

Have a look here:-> Analog VU Meters

Here is a site that has skins, you have to expand the "+" to see the individual skins people have made. Have a look here:-> Meter Skins

The page is in Russian but it translates automatically for me.

This info was original placed in the Foobar thread but I figured people using other players might like them also.
    Enjoy.

Comments?

Here are some cool examples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    they work for softer music but any modern rock it just pegs the +3 for me

3. proteo

proteo Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce GTX560Ti OC
    Awesome!!!

I like these plugin, it looks great.

When I saw the title of the thread, though it would be about adding some analog VU meters to the the front panel of the computer or something similar. :D

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you try modifying the settings as they are very configurable?

I changed the title of the thread, hopefully it is a bit more descriptive.
    I like meters, analyzers...etc. they are helpful for many task but aside from that they are cool to watch!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I'm too lazy to translate Russian how do you configure?

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Start by translating the information.:)

7. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Look great....I would like them...

Do I have to jump thru hoops to get them to work....i just use vanilla foobar for that very reason....some things look great....but I hate the hassel and jumping thru hoops to get them to work, when thay are really just eye -candy.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For those interested here is the VU editor, so you can make your own.
    I know there is not alot of information and what is around needs to be translated.
    Since I am kinda interested in the project myself, perhaps I will put together a tutorial and compile some of the information translate and present it here for those into this project. Give me some time though as I am a busy guy:)
    Anyway, here is the Editor: -> VU Editor

9. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Thanks ROBSCIX, I'm using it, the Technics one is really good, I like the peak lights :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

10. proteo

proteo Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce GTX560Ti OC
    To adjust the sensitivity of the VU meter just click in the window and use the mouse wheel to adjust it, -9.0dB and -10.0dB works fine for rock and other "loud" music, so it doesn't get stuck at the top of the scale. -7.0 and -8.0 works fine if you listen to quiet music, but dynamic compression of the mix can make even softer music to get the VU meter stuck at the top of the scale with the default settings.

Edit:

0.0dB works fine for DSD recordings, tested with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (the one with real cannons :thumbup:)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is an editor also so you can make and export your own VU meters.

12. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Thanks man! I find -11dB is perfect for the "loud compressed" modern music as it'll peak at 0dB and not go into the red.

13. emueyes

emueyes Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850 OC 2G
    After much looking at analog meters with varying levels of disappointment I find these, so cool ! They are exactly what I want and can be edited :)

Now I've (erroneously I guess) used a WSH panel and pasted the js script from the foo_vis_vumeter archive but I get an Initialisation failure.

I have really tried to get things to work, and tried to translate the Russian text, but haven't had any luck. The editor runs and seems to work properly, but some help, even a nudge, would be great.

14. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Just use AIMP3 and change the customization to VU meter and you can even full screen it :) Also, Aimp3 sounds better than foobar imo :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

15. emueyes

emueyes Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850 OC 2G
    o my goodness ;) I've been using foobar2k for years, and finally tired of it (lack of proper, fast-enough coverflow was the final straw, that and a slight lack of user friendliness) so went to mediamonkey, which has some beautiful coverflow ability; ultimately though, I wanted a very small mini-skin, which mm should handle, but good old winamp does better: a very small window with cover art, play controls and timers, bare bones.

I have this 'thing' for analog meters (back to the 4 track reel to reel days in my bedroom and a reminder that I can now edit waveforms at the millisecond level :)

Now another player to possibly have a play with. I call myself very lucky to have a free choice :thumbup:

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, tell us what you think of AIMP3 :) There are more skins aswell, just search for AIMP3 and you can use WASAPI or ASIO for audio if you select it... Actually, not with onboard, but it will still sound better than Foobar IMO. Good luck with it :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

17. emueyes

emueyes Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850 OC 2G
    I'm using new rig atm and it's not fully finished. Once I get my beloved Xonar D2 and the Audio technica cans I'll be happy :) The quality of hardware can and does alter a sound signal either subtly or noticeably, but the codecs used ? Assuming everyone's on the same page as far as parameters.

On a much more related topic, how do these VU meters look/run/feel? (in media player of choice). The screenshots look fantastic, and there's a wide range of them in different skins. I simply haven't seen anything else even close in quality. So, I want :) I'd prefer to keep Winamp or mm or even foobar, but I'll give aimp a go if that's what it takes.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Trust me, I used winamp and foobar for a while... Then when I got AIMP3 it was like, alot better sound engine and the sound quality was better imo... Anyways, you can use all of them...lol

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I used all the common players and learned them inside and out but found latley I have been using album player the most.
    It seems to work best with the way I keep my music stored, in full albums

20. analogic

analogic Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 975/1200
    Interesting, but it brings to mind Bob Katz’s thoughts on the VU meter in his book, “Mastering Audio.”
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Aud...id=1356139463&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+audio
    He's not a believer in VU meters for good reason.

I have not finished the entire book, but it is full of really useful information for pro audio engineers as well as enthusiasts.

Btw, I use J.River Media Center 17 with iZotope Ozone 5 VST plugin. (It also works with other media players).
    Most customers will be be using it with ProTools. http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/pro-tools

Highly recommended for quality audio playback. Besides doing DSP at a professional level it has plenty of meters/graphics to watch…:)