NAS for HT...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dchalf10, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    So I'm buying a new receiver that has networking and despite what I originally thought ( that you could simply attach an external USB HDD ) I need to buy an NAS for storage.

I want to buy the Western Digital My Book Live as I believe it is essentially just a HDD with DLNA handshaking software...no CPU or what not.

So can I simply connect this to my receiver or does it have to be connected to my network and linked with my PC.

Because if I have to have my PC on to read the NAS etc...then WTF is the point of an NAS...I can just use my PC's HDD.

The reason I want NAS is because there is no need to have all my PC components running in idle cheweing up power and making noise just so I can store music.

So what do I need to get it done?

I'm only streaming audio, so It'll just be all my CD's ripped to FLAC...nothing more.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It's DLNA 1.5 compatible. As well as supporting other networking features, so if that's all it needs then it must be ok.

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well it's NAS as in NETWORK ATTACHED, do yes it needs to be attached to the network, your PC doesn't need to be on though, and this is in the wrong forum section. Also DLNA is crap, oh and they all have CPU's, even a calculator has a CPU.

7. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I never asked whether it needed to be attached to a network. I asked if it needed to be attached to my PC after storing files on it.

But thanks for making yourself look like a jackass.

8. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Now you looked like one...(jeez)

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    DLNA support for a NAS device is important if you want to store media for playback on devices like the PS3, XBOX, your HTPC with Media Center...etc.

For a NAS there are alot of products but you can build your own out of some old hardware and drives.

and FreeNAS is free software.. supports DLNA with a plugin.. easy to make very simple file server

Many network attached storage product can also be run attached to PC... purpose would probably be to transfer files over at fast speed over eSATA, USB3 or now Thunderbolt.. It would defeat purpose of NAS and then the NAS would just be a large external storage device.

I suppose one advantage would be USB3 or Thunderbolt you can get over 300MB/s where home ethernet would limited to gigabit speeds.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I saw your new receiver in another thread. Yamaha man myself. Great choice :thumbup:

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Cheers, I have all yamaha speaker and an RX-V667 right now, can't wait for the upgrade.

@Brendruis

Exactly. If a pc or HTPC is required for it's operation then either it would cost a lot more to make ( HTPC + NAS ) or it would require a lot more power ( either my gaming PC as the server, or a HTPC as the server in addition to the NAS ).

An NAS on it's own will use 17 watts of power and will serve the sole function I intend it for...streaming all my music to my DLNA/network receiver.

No use for HTPC for me.

12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    How about no?

It will be connected to my receiver and my receiver alone. No internet, no file sharing, just one way streaming, if you consider that a network then credit is due to your wild imagination.

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    RX-V661 here powering a PSB Alpha HT1 set.