Good program to convert CDs to FLAC

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by dchalf10, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I just want a program that will rip maximum quality flac files ( whether they need to be upconverted to 24bit 192khz etc I have no idea ) without any 'disk image' stuff I've been hearing about.

I'm going to buy an NAS and I need to start ripping CDs in advance as it will take me a lifetime.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Awesome, thanks. I just tried the trial version of winamp and it was ridiculous, even with the large skin the text font was like size 4 or something. I could barely even read the text in it.

EDIT:

The full CD in max quality FLAC format was 370mb...I thought the file size reduction would be more than that. I'll rip in WAV to compare.

If it's only a 50% reduction in file size reduction then I might just RIP them all in WAV...makes things easier anyway

4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Can i ask why you would even consider using WAV over FLAC when they could be over 50% larger?

5. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I wonder, what Is the format online digital music provides?, MP3 a what bitrate?, someone knows if they sell the music in FLAC format?

6. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi dchalf10,
    Try this http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ rip them to Lossless Uncompressed (FLAC)

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is usually a setting for compression on Flac files, set them to compression level 8. that will give you the best sizes. Flac is lossless though so they are much bigger then Mp3. I wouldn't even worry about WAV, as you sacrifice more space with absolutely NO increase in audio quality.

I would use an app such as EAC..etc. I don't advise using a player to do your rips use an application made for the task.

There are many apps out on the net but try and find apps that have CDDB info downloads, so you pop in the CD and the app finds all the track names.album name..etc
    This database feature will save you tons of time, if you have a large collection to rip.

8. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    dBpowermap is the easiest and provides perfect FLAC files that can be "verified" online through AccurateRip. It's not free, though.

9. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Unfortunately, FLAC is not a common format in online music stores. MP3 and AAC are the most common.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Unfortunatley for the best audio quality both of those format are useless because they are LOSSY.

The best results will come with some research. Many programs will require you to add an external Flac encoder, which is very simple. As I may have said in another post I am going to write a procedure for those interested very soon....stay tuned.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012