ASUS Maximus V Formula review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the ASUS Maximus V Formula.The Formula series equals style features and highly tweakable motherboards -- all made with the ROG Replublic of Gamers backing it up. What defines the Formula...

More...

2. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    Is the SupremeFX IV still just a Realtek codec? Or have they moved to C-Media like the Xonars?

3. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Any word on the included Wifi / Bluetooth card? Is it replaceable?

Edit: And by replaceable I mean will other brands work?

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Great board, i think i´m in love...

Just one question is the price correct, no more than 225€? It seems to good to be true...

Great review as always!

5. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    Why? The Gene costs 180 €.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s just that in Portugal, the Deluxe version costs around 230€, for example.

Maybe it´s just a case of living in a country were everything is more expensive than in civilized countries....

7. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
  8. 3lgringo

3lgringo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    What I would really like to see is this compared to the Gigabyte g1. Sniper 3 as I have a 3770k, 8gb Trident X ram, and a 690gtx waiting for me to decide on which board would serve my overclocked gaming needs best...

PS: Nice to see other Portuguese on this thread :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I have a question...

Why is it that when I see motherboard reviews like this one, that it ends up being more about the board's features and performance on a single (or perhaps 2) CPU rather than a showdown between several different motherboards of the same generation using the same exact processor??

I would have personally liked to have seen 3 or 5 different x79 motherboards all using the same 3770 rather than one motherboard using 5 different processors.

I realize that it's very hard to do identical tests over and over, which is why we see results for the 3770 on the GB D3H, or the MSI Z77A-GD65... because those tests were performed at an earlier time and recorded.
    But it's not really an apples to apples comparison to do a side-by-side with completely different systems.

While I fully appreciate all the hard work that Hilbert has put into all the reviews over the years, this type of review doesn't really help straighten out just who's motherboard is better using the same processor and RAM - it really just highlights what features are available on THIS specific board.

I'd really like to see some comprehensive side-by-side tests (using all the same benchmarks as seen here) but that are done with the same processor and RAM and only changing out the motherboard - in my mind, this is the only way to get a clear picture of the motherboard's true performance.

Psychlone

10. 3lgringo

3lgringo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    I think you mean Z77 there instead of x79 which is socket 2011 ex: 3960, 3930,3920...

Just a little correction :)

But yes, I appreciate all the effort put into this review I really do... but like I said before it would be great for us potential buyers to see these boards have a go at each other.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sorry but what ? Did you actually read the review ?

In the benchmarks you'll spot direct comparisons to Reference, ROG GENE, Z77 TUF, GBT D3H, MSI Z77 GD65. Same CPU, Same Mem, Same OS image, heck even the same PSU.

12. 3lgringo

3lgringo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Think what hes trying to say is the review compares "Mercedes" with "Fiats" and "Renaults" and what we would like to see is "Mercedes" vs "BMW's" if that makes any sense :/

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Awsome review as always , thank you Hilbert , very nice board right there , loving the
    H2O conections for the Hybrid heatpipe/water cooling solution for the heatsinks.