Random BSODs (HD 7970)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cstrosser, Mar 23, 2012.

1. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    Alright - let's start over here - I represented myself as I have because people need to trust abilities...so that's why I posted links and all that stuff (and you did say you never heard of me, which is understandable.)

I'm not looking for credit. Just helping people out because I am naturally altruistic like that.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK maybe I should have said Kudos, not credit.....

All I'm saying is that by continually claiming to be an expert etc (even if you are), it rubs a lot of people up the wrong way...it's just not a good look.... and people will just stop listening to you...:)

I dunno what eightforums is like, but this being a hardware enthusiasts site a lot of discussion and debate goes on...

LOL you should see the stickied thread on for/against disabling the PageFile - it's been going for over 2yrs and people are still arguing about it.

Btw sorry if this all seems a bit preachy, I guess I have quite a rep for saying exactly what's on my mind....:3eyes:

Anyway - welcome!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    Pill - "I guess I have quite a rep for saying exactly what's on my mind"

I don't know anything at all about you, but if we were geographically close, we would probably be good friends. I respect that to a great degree.

Thank you much for the welcome!

Very curious for real. What kinda hardware do you design, enhance or support? Nothing but respect. I wanted to be an electrical or mechanical engineer, but personal circumstances messed me up with all that (outside of my influence).
    I do have a great deal of understanding and can do some awesome s&*t, but I don't have any degrees or anything like that at all.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have no doubt - I'm a likable guy.. :p j/k.... Oh and you're welcome...

Lol no I'm not that type of Engineer - I'm an IT Field Engineer (basically a glorified technician).
    I have a couple of certs but no degrees or anything, I'm not smart enough for that, just been around the industry for a very long time. (I'm 38 - although completely in denial).

There's still a lot of stuff I don't know so G3D etc helps me keep up with latest tech...although I know next to nothing about Intel.

Currently I'm contracted to Datacom NZ, whose clients include supermarket chains, hardware store chains, call centers, and government departments to name a few.
    We look after all their IT hardware which includes POS machines, scanner/scales, check readers thin clients, printers, and of course - computers. :)

My area of operation covers a 100Km radius (about 60miles) but I'm often at my desk, which makes it easy to spam the G3D forums.

I do some Desktop & Network Support and re-imaging and configuring, but mostly I diagnose/repair/upgrade and configure client PC's.
    Sounds easy enough except most of our customers have over 100 machines and the employees (users) are about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to computers. :p

I've done other similar work in the past but I won't bore you with the details as I'm sure you're falling asleep already...

Last edited: May 30, 2012

5. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    no no, not bored - it's rater cool! That's why I asked.

I worked at UL at Melville, NY for a while in Wire & Cable....they kept promising to make me Engineer but I was only there as temp. I did good stuff for them unlike most other "office workers."

Many months after, they didn't hire me or all others as permanent, I had to leave. They kept claiming "soon" "soon" lol.

Honestly, when clients are clueless, it can be difficult because they did things that should not be...so I feel your pain haha. :)

6. Schwinni

Schwinni New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD-697A-CNFC
    Catalyst 12.6 beta seems to have fixed the BSODs. At least I didn't have any since 4 days - although only HD 7xxx cards are mentioned in the changelog! :banana:

7. nicknack

nicknack Guest

GPU:
    Saphire HD7970 3GB
    Hi,

I have spent the last hour reading everybody's posts and I think I have the same issue. It makes me feel a little bit better knowing I am not the only person having this problem.

Just spent over a 1300GBP building a custom PC 'for the first time and now started getting the BSOD at random intervals and beginning to regret not just buying an Alienware ;)

I was dreading it being a hardware issue as returning anything in the Middle East (from UK originally) is a Nightmare.

The Mini Dump file mentions atikmpag.sys, dxgkrnl.sys & dxgmms1.sys the bug code is 0x116

I have two Samsung Monitors connected via DVI & HDMI and the BSOD does seem to come when PC is relatively idle eg in Browser.

I have just downloaded and installed Catalyst Software Suite 12.4 followed by Catalyst Application Profiles 12.6 - not sure what 12.6 download does as the driver is showing 8.961.0.0 in device manager.

The bsod's have been happening every 2 or three days.
    When my son is gaming heavily everything is ok,
    Currently GPU is 57C and never gets really hot thanks to the Cooler Master Case Fans.

My plan is to wait for the next BSOD (assuming there is another one) then disconnect a monitor for a while to prove my problem is the same.

I haven't tried any of the fixes mentioned yet but would anybody care to suggest the best one to start with.

You guys really seem to have worked on this problem a lot, so your advice would be appreciated.

Nick

8. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    It is a know bug with 2 monitor, try the 12.6 beta, it fixed for me. or go back to the 1st driver (amd_tahiti_8.921.5_win7)

9. nicknack

nicknack Guest

GPU:
    Saphire HD7970 3GB
    Hi Dummyplug
    Sorry for not responding didnt get notified. I posted on AMD forum and got the same recomendation. Installed 12.6b drivers about 5 days ago and no crashes since. Never would have solved this without this help. Thanks again.

10. ngr.hd

ngr.hd Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon / HD 7730 M
    Ok guys I'm really sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I have the same problem ie. BSODs with BCC as 116 (atikmpag.sys) with my Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop which has two GPUs, one Intel HD graphics 4000 and the other AMD Radeon HD 7730M. CCC manages the Intel GPU using it's 'Switchable Graphics' technology.

My computer specs are below:
    Intel Core i7-3612QM
    4GB DDR 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I have tried the troubleshooter provided here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx but still face these BSODs only when theres a constant graphics processing like playing high end games like Crysis 2. Whenever I start Crysis 2, the game hangs during the 'Press Enter' screen and bang, BSOD (116).
    I have searched a lot on AMD's website for the latest drivers (if any), to see if that fixes this issue, using their drop-down driver finder tool.

[Please do read this carefully] Here's how I selected all the options:

Component Category: Notebook Graphics >
    Product Line: Radeon HD Series >
    Product Model : "HERE I COULDN'T FIND MY GRAPHIC CARD MODEL, WHICH SHOULD NORMALLY STATE, 'Mobility Radeon HD 7xxx Series'."

So now I decided to auto detect, but with no luck, that tool just sits in the background and does nothing. I have tried re-installing the drivers provided by Dell but that doesn't fixed the issue instead the matter got worse. Whenever I tried to click 'Çonfigure Switchable Graphics' I started getting CLI.Implementaion errors. Hence I decided to restore my computer to the factory image.

I have tried stress testing my GPU using FurMark, which NOT so very frequent displayed 'Display Drivers have stopped working and has recovered successful'.

I don't know what to do, since the manufacture ie. Dell has not provided me any further Beta drivers for this.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

11. 0_o-Roy

0_o-Roy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA TITAN SC SLI
    Ok here is my two cents, I have basicly uilt a whole new everything from changing platforms from 1366 to 2011 and all i can say is im very dissapointed so far, here's how its went, i had a a fully watercooled (koolance) evga x58 classifie boardd with 6gb of ocz 1866 platinum ram and an i7 920, it never ever missed a beat, it was oced to 3.8 (ram held it back) and a asus direct cu2 580. also the ram did timmings of 8,8,8,18 @1866MHz, i sold it all and built this, asus sabertooth x79, i7 3930k, 16Gb mushkin 2Ghz blackline ram, ocz ssd, corsair 650D case, h100 cooler 2 sapphier dual x 7970 crossfire, it was good didnt crash etc was happy, but i never had a rog board and the stupid advertising finaly got to me, so i sold my sabertooth to my mate and got the formular board, well fk what a disaster, random lockups bf3 does the crash with sound locked up requiering full shut down, etc no matter what voltages or oc configs i do it does not solv the issue, i suspect its overheating of ram or vrms or phc, the cooling on these new generation boards seens lacking and im not a fan of having ram so close together. Never buying an asus board again. p.s this computer is slower than my x58 build and its not stable, the best thing is the cpu and cooler :p, im going evga or gigabyte next, stupid rog.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The 12.4 drivers on AMD's site don't support your card.

The 12.7 beta drivers do support it however - you can find them here.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thought I'd leave this here also, might help some of you guys;

[​IMG]

14. Hunter2

Hunter2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 3Gig
    I look forward to this having good feedback as I'm not changing anything till then, because of the all the hassle caused by 12.4.

Current stable setup running 12.3

15. Adeptus Astarte

Adeptus Astarte Guest

GPU:
    Asus ATI HD 6970
    Hey guys, I've recently been having some problems with random BSODs related to atikmpag.sys. So far it has been about 5 minutes since I ran it with the TdrDelay regedit and it's stable.

When it first happened, I was running DotA 2 and watching a youtube video. My computer froze, then went to black, unable to move my mouse cursor. It then proceeded to go into Blue Screen of Death. BSOD showed atikmpag.sys.

Second time, I decided to not play the youtube video but go straight into dota 2 and just idle in the lobby. It took about 15-20mins before it crashed. This also showed a similar error to above.

atikmpag.sys error Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/UQAeK.jpg

The 3rd BSOD showed a completely different error, shown here:
    http://i.imgur.com/55sKE.jpg

I'm running an Intel i7 930 on a Gigabyte x58a-ud3r, along with a 7970, Single Monitor (23” DellTM UltraSharp U2312HM monitor ), a power supply of 850W. OS is Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

Appreciate your advice, and sorry if I accidentally became a thread necromancer.

16. Adeptus Astarte

Adeptus Astarte Guest

GPU:
    Asus ATI HD 6970
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  18. Adeptus Astarte

Adeptus Astarte Guest

GPU:
    Asus ATI HD 6970
    How do I check that? My apologies, not a computer savvy guy, even though I use it to play video games a lot. :wanker:

19. Hunter2

Hunter2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 3Gig
    If you are having real grief with the driver 12.6 I would go back a version or two to 12.3 that was much more stable than 12.4 for me! (not sure what happened with 12.5.)

12.6 is ok for me (did not realise it was beta though) hmm just checked you should be able to download the final 12.6 ver so try that first.

I you are not computer savvy unloading and reinstalling drivers is a lot easier than messing with patches/registry stuff.

20. Adeptus Astarte

Adeptus Astarte Guest

GPU:
    Asus ATI HD 6970
    Ah, what I meant was that I am not very good with finding my drivers and such. Would appreciate it alot if someone could direct me as to how :)

Also, just thought I'd update you guys. After I booted the PC in safemode, I added in the TdrDelay to 10 (system default is 2 yeah?) and proceeded to test it via DotA 2 and opening about 6 youtube videos at the same time. No hiccups at all. It might be fixed already, but I just want to play it safe.