HX750 blew up. Running GTX 680 SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xenogears, Jun 27, 2012.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wouldn't go 550W for that configuration, absolutely no way!

I think my suggestion of the Seasonic x-760 should be good, after your RMA the Corsair of course. Its technically a level upgrade since the Corsair AX750 (up from HX750) is based on the old x-750. That said, it all depends on the prices. Locally there is isn't too much of a price difference between the HX750 and the X-760, and I can tell you which one I would rather have. Very happy to pay an extra $30 for the x-760.

If the total power use of a system is say 650W absolutely fully loaded, you should get a 750W at least. Sure, the 650W can handle 650W, but ideally you never ever should run a PSU at 100 percent.

Its just like a car. A car may be able to handle 200kph, but driving at 200kph it won't be running at peak efficiency, nor will it last as long as driving it at 120kph.

For what its worth though, regardless of lets just say, the questionable 550W recommendation above, and others with higher recommendations, your power supply shouldn't have blown.

2. xenogears

xenogears Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    thank you very much everyone. I'm not OCing the GPUs. The processor I'm using Asus's AI suite oc which is about a 400mhz oc. fans used are the ones that come with a coolmaster haf 932 case. running only one drive (ssd). A few usb devices here and there and a dvd combo. all in all a pretty bare bones setup.

I used to run off of a power surge. when the psu blew up the electrical cord ended up with some molten plastic on the metal leads. yikes!

I grabbed an hx1050 yesterday from micro center just to be on the extra safe side, but when I got home and read about its not getting the same rave reviews of its smaller siblings. I'm thinking I'd go back to the hx750 once I receive it since it died gracefully without taking any other components down with it, no harm in giving it another try I guess.

Thanks for helping a pc nub

3. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    leaving the pc on 24/7 is actually better for it...
    every time you power up the system...a surge of power hits all the components...(only for a fraction of a second but it can do damage)
    i leave my system running all the time...only reboot when its absolutly nessasary...
    UpTime:«2 Weeks 4 Days 13 Hours 13 Minutes 22 Seconds»
    and thats just from a reboot...pc hasnt been powered down in months

@ OP the PSU may have been faulty....or..it may have been a cockroach!..ive lost a couple of PSUs over the years after a small cockroach has tryed to use the PSU as a home and shorted itself on some of the pins..frying both the cockroach and the PSU!..
    ...ive had a few die from bad capacitors aswell (usually cheap brand psus)..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How do you clean your PC if you don't switch it off for months?

5. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    clean my pc?
    ..simple...dont get it dirty! :p

or do you mean physical dust?...prolly due for a dust out actually...i usually give it a clean out once every 6 months...thats usually the only time it gets switched off...or if i go away for a couple of days etc...or if i need to swap in/out some hardware

6. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    OP had a faulty PSU from the start.

When it comes to Corsair always RMA it and don't waste your time or money on something else unless it's mission critical. And even then I still would so I could at least sell the unit they sent me back.

And I also leave my PC going 24/7, it might get restarted every few weeks but regular shutdowns are pretty rare. Oddly enough I seem to have far fewer general PC failures now than when I used to shutdown every night.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Like I was saying, you could RMA your HX750 and buy an AX750, or a Seasonic X-760 which is a little newer.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Rather you than me. I would NEVER EVER leave anything electrical on for days nevermind weeks or months on end as that is a potential fire-risk/accident just waiting to happen IMO. I'd rather my electrical goods died and were replaced because of wear and tear than burn my house down. Not only that but you must be wasting electricity leaving your PC on all the time. I guess you must have money to burn (oh, look, there's that word again) or something...? :p

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I usually put my PC into sleep mode instead of shutting it down completely....and sounds like the OP just had a defective PSU......

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    My second day with a corsair psu wish me luck guys! It's still running, who knows for how long :D

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's up with Corsair lately?
    Seen a couple of other threads related to faulty Corsair HX PSU's as well.....

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You are grossly overstating the risks of leaving eletrical components plugged in.

Your AC runs when you're not home, your heater, water heater, fridge, probably some lights, video game consoles, chargers, DVD players, TVs, Monitors, even your computer that's turned "off" is pulling from the wall, etc etc etc

Unless you manually remove power from all these items, they pull, at least, a standby charge to stay active.

That said, there is obviously power savings involved with having it off. For some people that might be less ideal as they access it from work.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    as ex SLI 295gtx user i can tell you that the PSU 690w was dangerously at it's limit...

my core2 used at this time with my 680 + 4gig + 2 HD was over 700w in idle and at 800w in charge.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i guess it's a faulty HX too seem that it cannot cool enough when reaching limit (yeah it look a bit "limit" for me try a 800w).

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry but there is no way your rig could draw that much power. How did you measure it?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

16. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    what IPlayNaked said!^
    do you turn your fridge off when youre out?..more chance of it catching fire that a pc in sleep mode..
    what about all them servers out there that have uptimes of months or even years?.. you want them to switch the internet off when your not using it?!

in my 25years of working with pcs...ive only ever seen an electrical fire from the pc once! when an analog tv tuner card made contact with another tv tuner card next to it.. a small resistor on the card fried and actually caused a small flame that lasted until i blew it out and powered off the system! (the system/psu was unharmed! ..the tv tuner section of the card is dead!..but component/svideo in still worked!).. a small candle like flame..that only happened when the card moved while attaching the antenna..so i was there to see it and put it out straight away.. it didnt just happen by all by itself..

i think the costs of keeping the pc on..are less that the costs of having to replace failed components due to the startup/shutdown spikes and system shock on cold boot..but thats just my opinion!

[RANT]
    stupidly inflated electricity supply and infrustructure costs and carbon taxes are starting to change things tho (whats gonna happen to all the servers running webpages? hosting costs are obviously going to increase)...
    i cant beleive we payin for carbon.. whats next they gonna tax us for breathing? thats carbon aswell... :3eyes:
    [/RANT]

17. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    1) I always shut down my PCs completely when not using them. I pay for my own electricity bill and I don't have a money tree.

2) I've had it with Corsair PSUs. I had these:

CX500 = Only single reliable Corsair PSU I had. Caused 0 problems.
    VX550 = Coilwhined under stress
    HX520 = Coilwhined excessively in idle mode ! So much coilwhine I had to wear earplugs for the the day until I had it exchanged for a Coolermaster CM Silent Pro M600
    TX650 = Started to fan-rattle after 6months.
    TX850 = Fanrattle and low coilwhine after 3months use.