Guitar Instrumental - Lost In Space (by me)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Year, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    http://www.soundfolder.com/artists/yearg3d/tracks/yearg3d-lost-in-space

something i've been working on for a few month.

one day i saw a nice space wallpaper and imagined myself as an astronaut lost in space and floating, crossing the planets as i ran out of oxygen.

i played everything except the drums which is drum machined, as a guitar player my technique doesn't focus on shredding but more on expressiveness, i try to make my guitar sing like a voice, in the style of Neal Schon (journey's guitarist) and a little bit of Satriani.

now i understand this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but here it is.

any opinion will be appreciated. :)

Rig - Fender Strat, Bass Guitar, Roland Keyboard, lots of pedals and Fender Twin Reverb amp, software used Pro Guitar 9 and Goldwave.

[​IMG]

EDIT - added more instrumentals songs below. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Well it's certainly not bad, in fact i quite like it :D

although i do wish it was more "spacey" to fit the theme a bit better. at first it felt like a more calm version of this.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You have quite a bit of talent their, Year. I take it you're in a band?

The song is great btw, but the ending feels like it needs to fade out.

4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    You've posted your playing in the past, and judging by this, you're getting better every day. As much as I love guitar, I have a short attention span when it comes to instrumentals. This kept my attention, and is exactly the kind of instrumental I like. I was hearing Satch, Vai, Brad Gillis, Jason Becker,and Gary Moore. That's an amazing bunch of guys, and I'm thoroughly impressed.

I especially liked the change up coming out of the solo at around 2:40. very tasteful.

Now do an old buddy a favor and post more.

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Not bad at all. In my younger days I played in a band for almost 10yrs. All original music. I played bass and vocals. I miss it sometimes. Now a days I just plunk around on my Acoustic when I get the urge.
    Keep up the good work!

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    thanks :) nah i'm not in a band, i just play at home as a hobby really, it's fun to write music in general, makes for a good change from gaming, i can't read music sheets, i only play by ear and let my creativity free.

also while i can shred i prefer to sort of tell a story in the form of a proper guitar line and only shred as required, a good example of this is "Love Thing" by satriani or "Cryin'", tone plays a big part too and i really like to alternate between clean (chorus , Phaser or Flanger) and boosted or overdriven tones.

i know the mixing may be a little off and the ending certainly requires a fade out, i can do that. thanks for the suggestion.

haha used a lot of reverb but maybe i didn't add enough to make it spacey.

btw i never heard the mass effect song before, i like it. :D

i'll see what i can do.

Edit: here ya go :)

http://www.soundfolder.com/artists/yearg3d/tracks/year-lone-wolf

this one is called Lone Wolf, the wolf sound i did it by simply using the whammy bar, setting the tone knobs to 0 and set the Wah pedal half way.

enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good work man. I can hear the satch influence. If you want some more real-sounding drums I've got EZdrummer and Superior Drummer so feel free to PM me if you want me to run a midi file through either of them.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I like it.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I like it too

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Needs moar blast beats /jk

Sounded like Billy Corgan's solo album which was electronic/soft rock. I love that album so this is a compliment.

11. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Beautiful work, brudda - really nice.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not bad. Do you have a phaser pedal? Maybe a Phase 90? Adding just a tad bit of that when the distorted guitar comes in might make it sound pretty cool.

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Nice job Year. I liked both tracks.

I play electric guitar and bass but I spend most of my time playing my acoustic guitars.

Got any acoustic tracks to share?

14. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

@Year Great mate :)

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Bo is going to get mad he is guru's music guy lol
    Sounded great year,and here i thuoght all you did was play games

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    you guys are too kind, lol when i posted both tracks i thought i was going to get the opposite reaction (like...BLAH wtf is this $hit, i want metaaaaaal or something) :D

so thank you all very much.

well i certainly spend more time playing games than anything else but i got a few hobbies and one of them is music.

i got a Yamaha acoustic guitar that i rarely use, but i once attempted to write a song as i was drinking some Tequila about 2 years ago, came up with a mix of Satriani meets Mexican tequila amigo :grin: dunno wtf i was thinking when i composed it.

starts with a mexican like acoustic part followed by an overdriven satriani style solo that builds and gets heavier before ending again on a mexican acoustic note.

it's certainly different than what i usually write, but since you asked.. here it is lol you either going to love it or absolutely hate it.

it's called "Adios Amigo". [​IMG]

http://www.soundfolder.com/artists/yearg3d/tracks/year-adios-amigo

and before anybody asks, yes i also tried to write some kind of metal instrumental, it's in the style of KORN, i think this one could work as a game soundtrack too or at least i think so.

it's called "Gpu vs Cpu" (and we all know who wins lol).

http://www.soundfolder.com/artists/yearg3d/tracks/year-gpu-vs-cpu

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Good Stuff...I liked lone wolf the Best...

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I liked it too. My only comment would be to use less reverb, but the licks are very nice. Overall production was good too, but the drums need a lot of work.

19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    RE: Drum samples

http://www.toontrack.com/press.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EZdrummer

They have all sorts of drum kit samples. The package called 'Drum Kit From Hell' was sampled from live recordings of hundreds of drum kit configurations of Tomas Haake of Meshuggah.

No more synth sounding drums.

I know they are for sale but I'm sure you could aquire the different samples/programs elsewhere for free.....*wink wink nudge nudge anvil on head*

Lot's of professional bands ( like meshuggah ) use this software to program drum beats when writing songs.

EG. This is obviously not the type of music you play, but this is just to show you how awesome the sampled drums sound. This album was a concept album put out and it only used programmed drums from the program I linked ( Drum Kit From Hell ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoLLiGSKQ8

So even though you won't want to use THOSE samples, they will all be of that same high quality.

You can adjust the entire kit and adjust each microphone of the virtual kit so you can do preliminary stereo/surround drum mixing before even multitracking the entire song.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  20. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    very good bro you got some vai/satriani sound going on i like it you get my 2 thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup: