Quadfire 7970 Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by joshv06, Jun 18, 2012.

1. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Quadfire 7970 Freezing Problem [Video]

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsoZ1hpppN8

Specs: http://skidhacker.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=628

As shown in the video, my computer cannot run in crossfire mode. It freezes randomly and freezes consistently when loading call of duty black ops at the same time from starting the game.

Please help me!

What I've done:

-Fresh install, windows 8 or 7, problem persistent
    -Mobo Bios Up to date
    -Call of Duty Black Ops freezes at the same time, the same way always
    -Tried rivers from AMD website, beta ones too
    -Freezes only when crossfire is enabled
    -Cards mixed and matched, any way I put them in xfire, it crashes like in the video
    -Perfectly stable with crossfire disabled

What I know:

-HDD/SSD not the issue, installed OS on either one, same problem
    -RAM not the issue, tried 2 sets of RAM, every config
    -Heating is not an issue (Cold room, computer watercooled with 540 RAD)

I know the simple solution to this is just "Don't run it in crossfire", but I game on 3 monitors and quite frankly, this setup is supposed to work.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    randomly and freezes consistently....which one,how can you have them at the same time

what drivers are u using and are you overclocking cpu/gpu/mem,i was going to get same psu as you but a lot of people advised me not to get enermax

does your system crash with 2/3 gpu`s Xfired,do you get crashes with other games

WPA cracking...whats that all about

oh and do you have pci-e on/off switch`s on your mobo

3. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Try 12.6 drivers if u havent already.
    Also try raising your NB/IOH voltage. this has helped me in the past with tripple card setups, keep that molex connected to mobo also

4. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    It freezes randomly when in normal use/idle and freezes consistently when loading the game, I can say a always it freezes at the same length of time from starting the game. It is not the game because it works with xfire disabled and I have tried re-installing and other games.

I have tried 12.4 drivers and 12.6 beta drivers, nothing is overclocked, I have never had a problem with the PSU with xfire disabled, I've used it for days bitcoin mining with GPUs on load.

It crashes if xfire is enabled no matter what config I have the cards in (2, 3, or 4 way)

I don't believe it does, it is an Asus p8z77-ws

5. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Sorry if some of these questions seem simple or novice, but the info is needed.

What motherboard are you using?
    How do you have the CrossFire bridges connected?
    Chipset drivers installed?
    Windows up to date via Windows Update?
    DirectX up to date?
    How are you connecting the monitors to your card?

If I can think of anything else I'll stick it in. Also, after looking at various reviews it seems as if (in games) that tri-CrossFire works better than quad.

6. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    mhmmm, freezing at Black ops ....

I have a similar problem! Running 2x Hd7970, XFX BE 1000mhz@1.112V WC

When i play Kingdoms of amalur Reckoning or TES:V Skyrim, after 1-3hours i get a freeze ( The sound makes an awfull bzzzzzzz repeating sound of the last 0.5 seconds ^^) and sometimes i get bluescreen after a while or i get tired of wating 5 minutes an reboot manually. Without Crossfire I've played more than 8h Amalur and around 6h Skyrim, no pause, without any problems or crash! Maybe 1.112V just aren't enough ? Tried with 1.175V But didn't have enough time to test till now.

Asus P9X79 Pro
    Enermax MaxRevo 1500W
    12.6 aka 8.970

ahhh here is a DXdiag file... that will tell more. http://pastebin.com/TSuWaJSE

7. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Asus P8Z77-WS
    Using 3 bridges, like this:
    ------
    I
    ------
    ..I
    ------
    I
    ------

But as I said before, it freezes with any xfire config

Chipset drivers installed, windows update updated, DirectX 11. Using DVI, DP>DVI, DP>DVI. I tried with one monitor, and had the same problem.

Thanks alot for the help guys!

8. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Do you really need more than 1 card for Black Ops...? Pretty sure a single 7970 can run BlackOps maxed with over 60 FPS with the CPU you have.
    I can understand in a game that can't be maxed with a single card and play smoothly (i.e BF3) though.

9. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    sell and take nvidia...i can't understand...

nobody should try trifire-quadfire...amd is no nvidia...come on people...WAKE UP

10. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    I never had any problems with my old tri fire 6970 setup but then again i didnt play EVERY game out there to find a problem.

Hey good to see you see you still trolling with little to no input what so ever. Keep it up.

11. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Try june 4 those work great for tri and quad.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    @Josh: do it run with 2 or 3 ? I dont know if COD is really optimised for 3 or quad SLI or CFX right now . ( tri and quad 680 was not working with COD 1 month ago )

I dont like how it freeze, gpu are not even loaded at this time. ( untill v-sync is off ..) have you watch in COD forums ?

At first your problem was make me think to a problem i have got with a soundcard installed in a PCI ex 16x slots ( instead of 1x )), with BF3 .. the game was just staying on the loading map. ( never enter the game )... ( maybe due to the fact my mobo use a Nvidia switch in addition for get 16x-16x Pci ex lane. ) power off the pc, remove the soundcard, launch the game and no problem loading the map in 4 sec.

No one other games was give me trouble with my system installed like that.. ( outside Skyrim now i remember, sound was crash after 10min of plays, just stop working. ) .

Could be the game who dont support the quad setup ( the driver, quad is a bit special for some games who are allready rarely made for tri cfx or SLI ), could be a third party software who conflict.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    More complaints about you.

I told you to stay away from AMD topics unless you have something meaningful to add.

Perhaps you need some time away to think about it. See you in a weeks time.

14. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Hey thanks for your post, everything is a fresh install the problem is persistent with any crossfire setup using 2, 3 or 4 cards. Also, I don't believe it is the game, as it freezes the same way if I am just doing normal tasks like browsing the web or if it's idling.

I looked at my event log and see a lot of:

ATI EEU Client event error

Event ID: 16388

I get like 4 of these a minute and randomly hear the windows audio sound when a new device is connected while using the computer. I also hear this when watching say a youtube video and the sound goes away. This is with crossfire disabled.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Quadfire for 7 series is lacking in support right now let alone Tri-Fire.

I don't wanna sound like a party pooper, but you should have looked into that first before buying.

2-Way works wonders, 3 way works but with some tweaks.

4-Way I've seen nothing but issues being reported from just about everybody.

You could have gotten a bad card, problem is trying to pinpoint it. If you are OC'ing let it all stock. Don't change voltage, clocks or anything. Try changing all the cards's BIOS switch.

Some things to try but I can tell you safely that Quadfire is lacking support big time right now for 7 series untill AMD/ATI get some drivers out.

16. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Well, darn it! It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Are there any kind of options in the bios regarding PCI-E? I'm kinda stumped. :(

If you could, try this guide: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502

Then install the 12.6 (late May) beta drivers which are supposed to work better with CrossFire and Eyefinity.

17. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Have you run windows update? Check and make sure current version of .net frame work is installed.

18. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Hey, thanks for your input, I noticed today that I tried the 2nd video card alone, and got a random freeze. So it is not a crossfire issue. It just freezes at the game startup when crossfire is enable. I am trying the 1st card because I know it works, if it freezes, the problem will have to be the motherboard.

If it freezes, I will use onboard video and see if I get a freeze.

Thanks so much for the help!

19. Varistargrim

Varistargrim Guest

GPU:
    CFx 7770
    Have you tried disabling ULPS?

20. joshv06

joshv06 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Yes. *Update* I get random freezes with any video card. I still get the ATI error. I am going to remove all cards and do a fresh install and use onboard video. Thanks guys!