Why Windows 8 will wreck what Microsoft has built for the mainstream audience.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pixelsmack, Jun 4, 2012.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8To-6VIJZRE

I think Ballmer should be reminded of what he himself said all those years ago :p

2. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    I don't recall many people saying 7 sucked before it came out. In fact, 7's release seemed highly successful. Alot of people said MS finally got it right, not many people saying that about 8. I think 7 will be the next XP, around forever.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    95, 2000 & 7 were quite well received iirc.

4. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Been using for a few weeks now.... Great OS. Just takes a bit getting used to. Once you get over that "Oh my God" syndrome that every new OS brings with it, you'll see this is fast sleek OS. I'm very happy with it.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You know why Microsoft doesn't listen to the "consumers"

Because you all got it wrong with Vista too. Everyone bitched, and that was a fine OS. Drivers were the problem, not the OS, but all you "tech nerds" (read: People who browse forums and have literally no clue what they're talking about) trashed it everyday cause you heard someone else do it.

And now, once again, people jump on the bandwagon to **** on Windows 8. Guess what? Don't upgrade to it. Doesn't bother anyone involved one bit if you just keep using Windows 7, just like it doesn't bother anyone that some people are still screwing around on a vastly inferior Windows XP.

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    drivers were not a problem ._., vista ran fine, but PCs there were on win XP, ram was not free, vista was ram-hungry compared to XP and not as smooth (at start, improved later)

8. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3

Actually, for me it not the OS, it is that wretched Immersive UI aka 'Metro', that I take issue with.

And, I will not sidegrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7 just to be cool and hip, thank you very much.

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i will wait and skip windows 8

there is a pattern

windows 98, windows ME, windows XP, windows vista, windows 7, windows 8.

i predict windows 8 will be crap

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    You missed Win98 SE. =b

11. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Not sure why everybody is crying about a missing start menu. Ever since Windows 7 and SSD's were introduced the fastest way to get to anything you don't already have pinned to the task bar is to hit windows key and search for it. I'm sure it'll be the same for Windows 8. (I've never used it though so if this is wrong somebody can set me straight).

12. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oh the drama! I, like almost everyone else, has hated on M$ for one reason or another over the years over it's OS or XBOX. However, I like Windows 8. I was able to play Batman AC and a bunch of other games. Any issues I had weren't OS related.

I wasn't not able to install Autodesk Maya 2012 in Win8 DP due .NET 3.5 needing to be installed but that was fixed in Win8 CP. I can use VMware.

Now that I think about it I really won't be missing that Start menu at all; I don't use a lot of desktop Icons; You can pin stuff the task bar; you can group Icons in the Metro menu. You can even uninstall metro apps. under the hood Win8 is very much Win7.

LOL I did notice that Gmail looks all jacked-up in IE10 wonder if that's intentional LOL... also Silverlight crashes Chrome when I try to attach a file in Hotmail sometimes, Interesting.

A basic summery of my feeling of Windows 8:
    http://colbertbump.ytmnd.com/

13. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I've never really hated microsoft, I think they are dishonest, anti-competitive and extremely arrogant but I love many of their products.
    But after trying all of the releases of windows 8 I can only come to the conclusion that they genuinely hate their customers with a passion and are trying to force the common desktop out of the picture altogether.
    The desktop version of "8" is pure abomination from beginning to end, and that's fine, microsoft have a couple of miserable failures under their belt already (vista/Me) nothing wrong with having another one, they are certainly not hurting for money and can easily absorb the loss.

But what really irked me the most about "8" was their arrogance, "metro" is obviously designed with touch screen devices in mind, so be it, whatever, but don't try to *force* your flawed visions of "metro" onto desktop users by not giving them a choice of booting into "metro" or booting into a normal and usable desktop during the initial boot of the pc.
    So I'm sure there will be hacks available to circumvent the horrid "metro" interface and to even add the regular start menu back in, or so we thought.
    Now microsoft in all their arrogance have begun to strip legacy code from "8" to prevent anyone from bypassing "metro".
    Microsoft have received a ton of negative press and very little positive press regarding "metro" since it's initial inception in the first preview of "8".
    You would think if most people don't want "metro", and they have made it very clear that they don't want "metro", microsoft would listen to their customers and at least find a happy medium or throw "metro" out altogether.
    No, if you want to use "8" you must conform to our heavily flawed vision of forcing a touch screen interface onto your desktop.
    The egos in Redmond are larger than the entire state of Washington.

If you don't like "8" then you just don't like change - false, change is great if it's for the better but with "metro" it's obviously for the worse.
    But "metro" is the future - false, seeing into the future is not possible, you can only predict the future, and I predict "8" will fail.
    You just hate microsoft - false, I love 7, I also loved XP, NT4 and 2000 when I used them.

I will be on windows 7 for a very long time.

14. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Nope - the fastest way is with a well maintained start menu. I can get to around 20 shortcuts (documents, programs, whatever) with two key strokes, hundreds in three. You can't do that with the start/search that came with 7. This is even faster than a command line... I'm not even sure if it's possible to get to this many shortcuts in so few key strokes any faster? I'm not talking about the 'keyboard shortcut' that's built into the shortcut properties dialog box - that was invariably slower than the start menu, prone to screwing up, and was hampered by coincidence with other keyboard shortcuts.

Please, if anyone knows of a faster/easier way to exercise this many shortcuts within 2-3 keystrokes, do tell. Until then, you can pull the classic start menu from my cold dead hands.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I absolutely hate the interface on my Xbox 360 and like the look of Metro even more so I won't be trying Windows 8 never mind buying it. I get the sense that it will be the next Me/Vista anyway and that Windows 7 will go on to be as popular and enduring as Windows XP was (is?).

Of course, Microsoft isn't forcing us to upgrade anyway; as far as I know there are no exclusive games, DirectX or applications that will run only on Windows 8. Windows 7 will no doubt be supported for at least the next five years too so the doubters can hold out for Windows 9 instead. For now, I'm happy to ignore Windows 8 and for the first time since I've owned a PC I won't be pre-ordering a new version of Windows.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Or Windows 7 will be supported as many years as Windows Xp for business purposes because I cannot see businesspeople using Windows 8.

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Had to comment on this one. WELL SAID!!! Bitch, Bitch ,Bitch , Bitch, every new OS, every new peripheral, same thing different day...... We all expect it though, its the propaganda of the haters, or the band followers that need to choose a leader to feel worthy... You want to keep XP, so be it, You want to keep 7, so be it, i could give a frogs fat ass what you want... Just try to not bitch about every new thing that comes along... i for one am sick of it as im sure others are also.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    :D

If we follow MS's pattern, Windows 9 is going to be great.

19. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    how much fun would windows 8 be on a 27 " touchscreen desktop? would be fun for about ten minutes.

Oh ands its Ugly.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Windows 7 still really isn't all that big in the business world even. Only times it's really used, is when companies upgrade their machines to newer machines, and even then some of them don't even keep Windows 7. At Radioshack, we use Windows POS based off of Windows XP, and these are brand new machines too.

But Windows 8 right now isn't going to really wreck anything, the biggest problems people had with older Windows systems like Vista or ME, is compatibility and stability issues. Windows 8 so far from just previews, isn't showing anything like that thankfully. Only difference is a visual difference. I love the idea of Live integration in the OS, but Microsoft needs to push it more from both consumer and business views. A business computer isn't going to need access to his Xbox live profile. A consumer computer isn't going to need access to excel(most of the time) or other business tools.