Windows 8 shaping up to be unmitigated disaster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 6, 2012.

1. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Wasn't Windows 2k intended for professional uses (i.e workstations)? It was a solid OS anyway, used it up until 2006 when I finally downl- I mean bought XP.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...-making-computers-more-like-ipads-2012-6?op=1

Mountain Lion & Windows 8? No contest. I don't own a mac but I'm sure any Mac user will use the latest version of OS X without issue immediately. Metro is a nightmare. Searching online for instructions to shut down the PC? Pathetic!

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/12/windows-rt-pricing-85/

.. and according to this article Win 8 tablets will debut at a price higher than that of the iPad 3 :-S Foolish move if true, take it with a grain of salt.

If only they did something bold with Metro like releasing it as a time limited Beta add on for Windows 7 for knowledgeable users to play around with and give feedback. The last time they did that for an OS it turned out great. Who needs focus groups when you can interact with the user directly?

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    oh i didn't mean it would be similar in usability as metro but in concept unifying ios and osx as one entity :eek: . but tbh metro is piss easy to use and whatnot, i just found everything i needed to use my comp easily hmm.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  7. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    Those were all the consumer operating systems, otherwise Windows NT is missing as well.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    NT is not an OS in itself, rather it's the kernel that most modern Operating Systems are built on, including XP, Vista and 7/8 etc.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    [​IMG]

It's from the late 1900's

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Interesting...however it's not called Windows NT, it's called Workstation which is part of the NT family.
    Essentially the same as buying Vista with "Windows NT - Vista" printed on the packaging, since Vista is also NT.

11. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    wasnt windows 2000 actually server edition of winxp??

12. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    There were 4 version of Windows 2000--Professional, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server. Professional was technically aimed at the consumer market if I remember right but it never gained the same traction as 95/98/XP.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  13. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    well, than double fail :)

14. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    i know and i support that. and i also support win8's ARM support this was needed a long time ago. but forcing metro onto desktop when it doesnt fit in most circumstances is the wrong way of doing it. ive used metro on a phone/tablet now and also on a desktop with a single touch screen. and with kinect for windows. and metro fits pretty well in all cases but plain desktop. but win8 in general still has that smartphone feel. it just doesnt feel like windows it feels like i am displaying a win8 smartphone onto a monitor. not good. im just hoping these beta releases are a test to see if people actually like metro and that they are going to include an official option to choose come release day. or offer different versions of windows one for mobile devices and one for desktop although this would be a dick move

15. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Apple is unifying features, but they aren't unifying everything. The desktop still works like a desktop and the tablets/phones still work like phones. The idea is that if you use one you could easily use the other, but it doesn't mean that the 2 are exactly the same.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows 2000 was targetted at the professional market. WindowsME was targetted at the consumer market. Windows2000 was released in fall 2000 with WinME being released in Sept 2000.

WindowsME was the final Win ver 4.0 release and the last version of Windows to run on top of Dos. WindowsME was little more than a consolidation of Win ver 4.0 and all it's associated patches with an "updated" defrag utility that tended to corrupt system files. Win ver 4.0 was first released in 1995 under the branding "Windows95"

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    NT was an operating system. It was the first departure from DOS. It was what introduced the NT filesystem. Besides NT went to version 4.XX then XP was released but was NT 5. Then VISTA was released as NT 6. Then what you all love to praise Windows 7 or its proper name NT 7.

For those that do not remember the original NT: IF you wanted to run the os, you were stuck with a very small choice of what hardware would function with it. Something that resurfaced in all versions after that except for Win7. By that time the hardware vendors caught on to needing to release drivers if they wanted their hardware used.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows2000 was NT5
    WindowsXP was NT5.1
    Windows Vista was NT6.0
    Windows7 is NT6.1

Windows9 is expected to be the next major kernel update bringing the NT Kernel to v7.0...

NT was used as a reference to the professional versions of Windows, the file system used by the professional versions of Windows and the Kernel used for the professional versions of Windows....prior to the release of Windows2000. Since the release of Windows2000, NT is simply the name of the file system and OS kernel.

19. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Spot on.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well myself i will skip on W8 , Do not like :/ , ill stay on w7 x64.