Need your advice about SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by v3par, Jun 12, 2012.

1. v3par

v3par Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770
    Hi guys :)
    I'm planning to buy 64GB SSD for my system these days and I need advice which one to buy. I've heard that SSDs with SendForce controller ain't reliable & some people have problems with that. So, I want SSD without that controller.
    I've chosen 2 SSDs so far. Are they good? Which one is better?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Kross

Kross Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    I have the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (So the version before the one you're looking at) and I have had zero issues with it. Boot-up times are lightning fast, as is anything OS-related. Would def recommend the Vertex.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The fastest 64GB would probably be the Samsung 830 which is also very reliable.

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i have M4 64gb and M4 128gb i am very happy with them and i am planning on getting another M4 128gb as prices are good and they are quick also using 2 x Vertex2 60GB

5. v3par

v3par Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770
    Gosh! I've got 3 replies & all of them are different, lol.
    Personally my sympathies go for Vertex 4 so far :)

6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Samsung 830 has my vote. I have owned both an Agility 3 and my current 830. Agility 3 is a 60gb drive while the 830 is a 64gb drive. You can get the 64gb 830 for as little as $89. The Agility 3 60gb can be had as cheap as 50-60 bucks depending on potential rebates. For the price though the 830 gives you heaps more performance. Can't speak for the other brands although I have heard lots of good about the Crucial M4 and even considered it. I am smacking myself because since my 64gb 830 purchase newegg has sent me promos for the 830 120gb version for $119. :nerd:

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Bottom line is that all of the drives listed here in this thread are great drives and will do you well by them. Remember, it's like us comparing Ferraris and Lamborghinis (SSD's) as to which is better, when their competition is a station wagon (HDD's).

8. v3par

v3par Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770
    you're right

9. AkG

AkG Guest

GPU:
    Various
    Sammy 830. Corsair Performance Pro. Crucial M4.
    Those would be my top picks of non-SF based drives.

OCZ Vertex 4 is also GOOD kit...but its firmware is very immature. That means expect multiple firmware updates over the first few months of ownership.

Though to be honest. Another GREAT first time SSD would be the Intel 520. It is indeed a SF2281 based drive...but its got great custom firmware...and is about as user-friendly as you can get. Its usually the drive i recomend.

Though regardless of model you pick I would strongly suggest moving up to the 120/128GB category. 60/64GB is SMALL and a bit slower. ;)

YMMV

10. v3par

v3par Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770
    :O Does the size of SSD effect on Performance? I mean smaller sized SSD is slower?

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, to a point. Take the Samsung 830 for example:

[​IMG]

It varies from drive to drive.

12. v3par

v3par Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770
    thx for info. Then I will take 128GB Vertex 4

13. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

14. Kross

Kross Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti
  15. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

16. ebrahem

ebrahem Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 460
    the better
    intel 520
    crucial m4
    samsung 830
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G Conclusion

17. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Brought myself a Samsung 830 128gb today, lets just say I wished I jumped on the ssd bandwagon alot sooner than I did!

Slightly off topic here but is it still really necessary to move files off the ssd & onto a hdd to cut down on writes etc, I've already moved temp files, browser cache, page file etc to my hdd but I see some are going further like moving all the user files (my documents etc) off the ssd as well.

18. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    Leave them all in ssd..

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You have 16GB of RAM, you can turn off page file unless you have a program that won't run without it.

As for temp files, etc. You can leave them on the SSD. Unless you are writing over a few GB each day in cache files, etc, then your SSD will outlast this computer and your next one.

20. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

If I were you I would have left all those things alone except for moving the page file. The hype about writes on a SSD is magnified too much these days. Just don't defragment, or run hundreds of benches everyday and you will get many years of life from your drive. Smart choice on buying the 830 too. I bought 4 of em for $90 a piece. ;)