upgrade or wait???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by psdatta2005, May 31, 2012.

1. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I am currently using a q6600 at 3.5ghz with 4gb ram and a 5870 on a 24 inch lcd ..,I've played mostly all the games released without any hitch. Planning to upgrade cpu and motherboard need your advice as to is it worth upgrading now or should I just wait as my current cpu and motherboard are doing a fine job. If upgrade gives me a big boost please suggest a good upgrade for me similar to the q6600 which I bought in 2006 and has lasted Me this long without any trouble in performance.. need something to last me this long...

2. If you are still happy with the performance then i'd say wait for haswell. Ivy bridge hasn't lived up to most of our expectations but this is due to it being intels tick cycle...haswell will be the tock.

If the last tock is anything to go by (sandy bridge) i'd say it's hella worth waiting for.

Personally, I can't wait much longer, so im hoping I can work the funds for a x79 build, this way i'll at least have the ability to upgrade to a Ivybridge-E cpu once they launch and if i still feel the need for more processing power later down the track.

I've always had AMD systems, so never had to worry about processor/motherboard incompatibility issues for years after i've purchased my hardware in the past - and im still thinking the same with taking my first ever step into the land of intel. Whatever I go with, i want room to upgrade in the future as much as possible.

3. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Ivy Bridge hasn't been everything it was cracked up to be for people that already owned Sandy Bridge processors. Coming from a Wolfdale based C2D, Ivy's been awesome for me. There's no indication that Haswell will be any better as a step overall than Ivy Bridge was to Sandy Bridge, considering AMD has completely crapped the bed and has given up putting out competing products in the high performance range. Intel has no motivation to beat itself by much at this point in time.

4. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    Going to buy the setup tomorrow have decided on i5 3570 Asus p8z77 m pro with 4x2 gskill ram with a decent cooler please advice

5. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    hmm, duplicated thread?
    have you tried Zalman cnps 9900 cooler? depends on whats available in your area, do research on that. I'm sure you guys dont have newegg.com in India so your options would be limited. Goto market and collect data of what your options are and then we can discuss which one to choose =)

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're wasting your money, wait for next-gen games to hit the market and then splurge on a new platform. If you must buy now, coolermaster & noctua coolers are easily available in India. Choose whatever fits your budget as they're all fine.

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    How do you figure? The 3570 will crush his Q6600, and Haswell isn't due out for at least another year.

Hell, if he's gotten this much life out of his Q6600, he'll be set for a long while with the 3570.

@op: Congrats man, you're gonna love it.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    agreed thats a much needed upgrade

9. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    thanks guys i hope to see a big jump

10. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    According to PC Games Hardware they've done a rough estimate based on 7 games that going from a stock Core i7 920 to stock Core i5 3570K brings roughly a 35% performance increase. I think that's pretty nice...so going from a Q6600 will only add a few more % to the boost.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea do the upgrade, next gen games won't be all that much more taxing on the CPU since the next cycles of consoles don't look like they would be higher than an low range PC anyway.

12. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    i would be spending almost 35000 rupees thats like 700 dollars looking at this would it be worth it

13. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    or upgrading my graphics card would be a better option

14. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    No...at this point, you should upgrade your cpu/mobo/mem.

Just buy it already. :)

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agree^...HD5870...>It takes a HD 69xx or 78xx just to Pass it in performance:)

16. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    Who ever thinks a Q6600 isnt much of an upgrade to IVY bridge is a moron to put it bluntly...I went from an i5 2400 to a i5 3570K (dont hate i am still using the 2400 for something else) It will be a brutally good upgrade look at benchmarks, the answer is clear. People dont understand and its very simple...anything before sandy bridge is worth an upgrade to ivy bridge (if u have a sandy bridge ofcourse its not an upgrade), but honestly you look at the first gen i5 etc they are still good but....you would gain a bit of performance form upgrading to ivy. go for it mate there is no better time really.

Bottom line: you can keep waiting and slowly have a more and more mediocre computing experience or u could get an ivy bridge and stop viewing the cpu page of your fav online store for a few years. (not to mention power consumption and temps on the cpu) if your going to OC get a sandy if ur not get ivy)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012