3770k temperature question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zamiel, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Hi, i just got an intel i7 3770k and i'm using a noctua NH-D14 for cooling. I've not tested my new system for a long time but after one hour of battlefield 3 the tool coretemp showed up to 66 degrees celsius. This seems way too much for me with that kind of cooler. I've not OCed the CPU. It was running at its turbo boost of 3,9 GHz. Is that normal? I mean that was just one hour... I'm afraid i did not applied the termal paste right or not enough... Normally i spread the termal paste manually on the CPU so that its totally covered with a thin film. But now I used the thermal paste from noctua that came with the cooler. It had such a consistency that manual spreading was nearly impossible so I used the "drop in the middle" method for applaying. Now i ask myself whether that is the problem for this temperatures or whether its normal for that CPU even with that cooler. Btw. the whole tower is well cooled by two 120mm front, one 120mm back and two 140mm top fans (all from noctua). I hope someone can tell me something about that issue.

2. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    im running 75°C on prime with a 3570K don't think 66°C is a problem while running a heavy game. Maybe reapply the paste and see if temps drop?

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

How big of a drop in the middle? Pea size? I prefer the line method shown here:
    [​IMG]
    With that said 66c does sound warm to me for only a 3.9 boost. What are your volts at, and are you using PWM to control the CPU fan? Info so check to see if it is ramping up as the chip gets hotter. Also, is the cooler secured properly? Get back to us and we will attempt to help you out further. Just as a note IB does run hotter, even being on a smaller fab, than SB so do not compare your temps to the previous generation.

4. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Thanks for your answers. No the two CPU fans are not PWM controlled. They run @ ~1300 RPM. The drop of thermal paste had a diameter of ~4mm. The Cooler should be fixed properly as I tightened the screws till they stopped. Voltage is 1,174V according to the asus AI Suite. I'm currently running prime 95 to see how hot this thing gets... Highest temperature atm is 67 degrees C on core #3

5. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Ok after 1 hour of prime95 the temperatures did not exceed 71 degrees C. Maximum temperatures were 67°C core #0, 71°C core #1, 70°C core #2, 71°C core #3. Is that ok?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    clock speed 3.9ghz? pretty toasty for that speed with that cooler. those temps are ok for p95.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    For stock clocks that's worryingly hot. My 130W 6-core chip runs at 45 degrees stock on the same cooler on P95 (1.1 V @ 3.33 GHz). I only hit 70s at 4.4 GHz 1.35 V.

8. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    560Ti reference cooler exhausts hot air into your chassis.. try adding an exhaust fan or if you have one turn up the RPMs to achieve lower ambient temp inside the case.