Binaural beats,anyone experienced this ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Jun 1, 2012.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    As i struggled trough my exams i wanted something to make me more..aware,awake.
    Cofee is like water to me ,so i needed something stronger to wake me.
    So,some friend suggested binaural beats..pulsing harmonics and sounds.
    I was..wtf dude ? i said i need something ,but not music !
    Nevertheless i tried and tried some tracks.
    first i was like..c'mon where is the trick,i was skeptical at best.
    Well,first track gave me a headache,second pissed me ,and third put me to sleep.
    But when i wake up,did some cardio,the listened to some trance mixed with this weird stuff,i got something high,kinda difficult to explain.
    Seriously,i was expecting the munchies afterwards.
    But no,all that followed was a state of deep calm.
    And i was so awake i couldn't sleep,so i skipped one night .
    Was a bit tired next day,but i managed pretty well.
    Still ,this is no magic,and i have to work harder to take my 2 last exams,but seems that somehow it helps.
    So someone here tried this thing?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

ps please refrain from comments like "cool story bro"
    i am asking for personal experiences,if there are any,and let's keep it academic.

2. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    I've used brainsync, it really does do something to your thought patterns, sort of gets your brain waves in sync or something.
    http://www.brainsync.com/

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The right electronic music can do wonders for focus. I do homework with it playing all the time.

4. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    trying it right now
    we'll see what happens

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    cool story bro :D (in a good way)

but i have my own explanation on this...

i think it works when you're actually expecting results, even if you're skeptical or thought it failed.

even though it gave you a headache and didn't work initially, deep inside your mind wanted it to work and as such when you woke up (refreshed) it worked.

nothing but a placebo effect, it was your mind that made it work, the binaural beats didn't actually work regardless of how you felt. ;)

it's no different than entering an abandoned house expecting to see a ghost, even though there are none, you will experience weird stuff simply because you expected or wanted such thing to happend.

if you want something to work it will work even when it doesn't.

never underestimate the power of the mind. [​IMG]

6. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    this is what I was just thinking when I was listening
    after you read the description of the track one kinda is waiting for those feelings.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well it's not going to give you a high or magically give you energy, but it really can help focus. But this goes for any trance style music.

8. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    A friend of mine has a bunch of that kind of music that she use for meditation. She said the music helps her in concentrating. I've listened some but can't feel the effect.

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've used these types of sounds and rhythms for many years in meditation - and some really to work.
    It's a fact that our brains resonate at specific frequencies during different times of the day or night, and if you listen to a frequency (literally, mediate on the frequency for long enough), your brain falls into sync with that frequency, making it very easy to slip into Beta, Theta or even Delta in just a short time as compared to doing it "au natural".

Back in the olden days, these things were always touted as machines to help you learn a new language, be a better public speaker and have more self control to quit smoking, but all the companies that made the devices got sued because people are too f*cking stupid and believed that they really could learn Estonian in a couple weeks just by listening to some random beats while hearing the language on a cassette.
    It's unfortunate that it went that way - some of those machines were REALLY cool and had pulsating light patterns in glasses that corresponded to the aural beats, which made it extremely easy to fall into any specific state of meditation... but we're left with just the auditory versions mostly now, and thank God(s), none of them are saying you're going to be a genius while keeping your weight under control while you're using their products.

Here's the deal: It's been mentioned in this thread that the power of the mind is amazing. No argument here.
    Some people find it hard (some even find it impossible) to find a meditative state, but using a product that resonates at a specific frequency and forcing your mind to listen to it DOES help your mind to focus and makes it easier to achieve that same frequency.

The trick here is to listen to the space BETWEEN the beats. Once you get good at it, you can stop time. (yeah, you're all like o_O, but really...)

CHALLENGE: After you've gotten good enough to actually listen to the space BETWEEN the beats, grab a clock with a second hand that "clicks" the seconds off.
    Hold the clock on your lap in a comfortable position and concentrate on the space between the clicks. You'll find after your brain tunes in to that frequency, that the space between clicks increases by vast amounts. This is a very simple exercise that perfectly illustrates some of that hidden power of the mind - you're not stopping time, you've just tuned your brain to perceive more information in a smaller amount of time, making it *seem* like time has dilated. You're still aware of the couch you're sitting on, you're still aware of the light, you're aware of all the things and goings-on around you - you're just perceiving more of them at the same time... it's a mind trick and it works really well once you figure out how to make your mind focus on the dead space between the beats/clicks.

Anyway, these things definitely have their place. I still use them on occasion for meditation when I'm having problems focusing. Just don't go into this type of thing with an expectation of what's 'supposed' to happen and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what does actually happen!

Psychlone

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I never understood people who study playing music or even worse... weird sounds.

The only close friend I knew who did used to play music while working never used to do well.

What are you studying exactly?

11. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have read about the solfeggio-tones. Apparently these frequencies come from hidden numbers within the bible or something. From what I read these are the tones in which the priests etc. chant in. Tried listened to it before, it definitely has some sort of effect on the brain.

12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
  13. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Simple hypothesis:

When you use your brain blood flow or whatnot increases to it. When you listen to music you use your brain. Ergo, whatever other task you have may benefit from the increased brain activity.

14. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I used to listen to classical music when I studied, this year I switched to electronical "sounds". To me it makes it even easier to study. I want to do it, and as I am the definite Queen of Procrastination, that is quite rewarding.. I've found that as long as I have read things once, it's there.. I don't think this can make an E-student into a straight A one, but if you find something that works for you.. Stick to it. I occasionally like to study while keeping my hands busy as well. (And yes, that sounds really dirty..) It activates several areas of your brain, and keeps atleast me more focused. Check out e.g. Thinking Putty, or just a squishy ball of some sort.

And for those who wondered.. I'm an A student.. But I always have been, I just find that I now can put even less effort into achieving it.. Associative methods, visualising rooms with facts, rhymes and anagrams. It's almost like cheating using your mind. ;)

15. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Resonance in reference to the brain.

Brilliant. I could start an argument but the sole fact that resonance is being used to describe a non resonating event just solved the problem for me.

I also do not believe music helps when it comes to work unless you are studying easy stuff.

Sorry to be the usual downer but unless someone starts providing links and research from credible resources I am NEVER going to believe that music or even worse Noise helps studying.

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Then with all due respect, perhaps it's time to walk on and not post in here again?

Fact is that some people can get into music and others don't. Just because you happen to be one that cannot get into music doesn't mean that music doesn't do something for those that can.

If I understand you correctly, your argument is flawed if you truly believe that your brain doesn't resonate with frequencies. The word frequency has multiple usages: frequency of EM waves, frequency of mechanical oscillation, frequency of occurance and "sympathetic" frequencies.
    A simple EEG reading would prove otherwise in short order. Our brains operate at roughly 15-30Hz, and change due to environmental factors, sleep, drugs or personal dilemma - etc.
    Frequencies in the human body have been exploited with "sonic weapons" designed to disrupt those frequencies, causing all sorts of behaviors that the attackers want. That's just some of what frequencies can do when directed properly.

Now, I realize fully that Wiki isn't a "credible" source, but the info on EEGs is more than thorough enough to draw a conclusion that frequencies can be perceived from the human brain - and has been since like the 1930's, and then it's not a distant thought to extrapolate that music may also share frequencies that harmonize with the frequencies of our minds.

I understand your need for Empirical Evidence here. It's people that don't believe much like yourself that all the old companies that were touting learning a language in 2 weeks aren't in business anymore, and that's a good thing. IMO, too many people believed that crap, bought up the product with high hopes of learning something new, and all they got was flashing lights and synchronized sounds. Few people understood the 'other' benefits that the devices held.

FWIW, I have no intent on going out and finding the evidence that frequencies can affect the human mind. If someone was interested enough in this, I'm sure they could find the information. I have a doubt that anything I just said will "resonate" with you, JohnMaclane, but that's ok... I don't need you to enjoy music or beats of any sort for me to enjoy them. ;)

Psychlone

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I am not arguing that high power sound and radio frequencies do not effect us. Nor I am arguing that the brain does not have an "operating frequency" what I do not like is the word resonate and the pseudo science you use to connect the event to meditation.

Music and audio therapy does help sick people because it stimulates brain activity due to emotional responses. Even then the effectiveness of such methods is not very high because the brain cannot be externally manipulated as your implying.

You start posting talking about resonance and how certain sounds give you "focus". Resonance as an event creates uncontrolled and constantly increasing oscillations (unless the resonant frequency or damping is applied), if we had to fire a beam of frequency with the natural frequency of your skull and blasted full power it would explode, I have also seen the direct result of resonance seeing inductors explode.

Then you post from wiki an article about sound weapons. I read it and all it does is confirm what I have been saying. The weapons use the destructive trait of resonance (and sympathetic resonance) to hurt people; weather causing painful vibrations in the eyes or messing with peoples ears.

I find it difficult to pass by certain posts where people claim to stop time or that now you can process more. All you are doing is altering the perception of time which is pretty bloody obvious if one performs the "challenge" posted. Guitarists or anyone which plays an instrument by your definition are meditation gods.

I just don't buy it. I tried doing some searching but didn't find much (I admit I didn't try hard) and music therapy research I did says nothing about resonating operating frequencies or anything of the sort.

Also I'm not telling you not to meditate or do whatever you like, just that you have no theoretical or empirical evidence for the perceived benefits and that the OP should probably sleep more and plan studying hours better.

When I have exams I tend to change my sleeping pattern so that I sleep early and wake early, use maximum amount of daylight to study (as the human body is designed to function during the day and not study at 2.30 in the morning). I am not saying its easy and not super boring but I would rather use common sense to solve problems.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Maybe I should get the *popcorn* for this one. I can see a back and forth going on here lol.

19. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoser

People on youtube been trying this out. Most of the people said that this works for them, but other people react to this differently. I might give this a shot.

20. elvizzz

elvizzz Active Member

GPU:
    DC II T 670 GTX
    i doser i now of it for the fun it i played a track speed "methamphetamine" when a friend came bye a old speedhead didnd tell him anything after a while he got up snif snif the fresh air and some more and he said i smell speed i was baffled that's it.