Windows 8 shaping up to be unmitigated disaster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not even just the Metro interface. Why the hell would anyone outside the geek-tech-havetohavethelatest community upgrade to this? I mean Windows 7 was long overdue, Vista was bad, the drivers were bad, it's reputation was bad, but XP was old. 7 came out and everyone flocked too it, whether they actually bought it to install on their custom system (me) or they went out and bought a new computer with it, or businesses updated to it, it seemed like a good time to buy then. Now, Windows 8, it offers nothing for the vast majority of people, other than a new interface which most people will hate. For businesses, what does it give me? Refresh my PC? Woopdeedoo - image based rollouts? There are hundreds of solutions for that now and probably do it better.

All 8 is going to lead too is the same **** you saw with Office 2007, a bunch of people complaining about the interface, except worse because the interface isn't even an upgrade, it's a sidegrade at best. I mean even turning off the computer is a challenge the way it currently is. I applaud Microsoft for taking risks, but they are just being risky for all the wrong reasons.

2. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    If Microsoft actually goes through with the flushing and prevention of any semblance of their classic UI (especially in favor of Metro), won't that alienate their corporate accounts as well as those of us who use Windows because it's the only real PC gaming platform? Isn't that a large chunk of their business? Let's say that this happens... who's going to take up the slack? Both of these are very large markets... it's like watching your salesperson threatening to toss his account list off a cliff: he hasn't been the nicest over the last few years, so you get out the popcorn and say "Let's see it, tough guy; I don't think you got the stones."

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    the windows 8 install should have simply been split into two sections:

Windows 8
    Windows 8 Metro

the metro being targetted to tablet/whatever computers and windows 8 for everything else. windows 8 would have our familiar interface w/ all the perks of windows 8, while metro would have its tablet targeted UI.

edit- lol'd at iphone article, that guy has no credibility. wonder how embarassed that ****ing moron is now.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I plan to get a windows 8 tablet or a windows 8 ultrabook with a touch screen.

But i do not plan to upgrade my desktop PC to windows 8. Metro looks okay with a touchscreen but with a mouse it looks counterintuitive from the video i've seen. And sicne there's no way to stay in desktop mode and run metro app in a windows container then i think i'm gonna pass.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Pretty much exactly what I was saying. The normal Windows 7 interface wouldn't have taken much to make into Windows 8 UI, just a few tweaks here and there and it would have been fine! I think Microsoft fear if it looks the same people will think it is and won't buy it. Instead they have given use the piece of sh*t that the Metro UI is, and people won't buy it because it actually makes a desktop/laptop computer harder to use!

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Eh, Win95, Win98, and Windows 2k pretty much looked the same and they were successful weren't they?

Let us ignore the abomination we call Windows Me

ninja edit-i know win2k was aimed at professionals, but fok i used it until 2006 lmao

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Thought I'd just leave this here.

[​IMG]

Do you see the patten their?

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    This version as has been said is not being marketed for the business sector. The pattern of evolution at the home level suggests desktops are dead and consoles and console like devices are king. The metro interface is not ment for mouse navigation...think kinect. No finger prints on screen. Setup a an htpc with windows 8, it interfaces with your smart tv and xbox. Add kinetc to the mix and the only reason you'll need a keyboard is because it's quicker to type an email or update facebook or twitter. This is the picture MS is betting on.

9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    LOL, Microshaft, they've just turned your PC into a useless Windows Phone :D

10. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB

11. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Totally agree with you!
    If the version is an even number, is a pile of stinking $h1t :bang:

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    As a strictly desktop user, they can shove that crap interface where the sun don't shine. Not interested at all, hope the backlash is immense after release and they do a fixed Windows 9 a bit like that Vista to 7 'fix'.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Some one should "hack" ms site and post that picture on there main page lmao

Windows ME/Vista anyone?? I only went to windows 7 cause i had no choice if I wanted DX 10/11 I like Windows 7 but I prefer XP over it I despise the network setup it was less tweak able then XP, and some tweaks that use to work in XP dont seem to work in Win 7 namely tcpack tweaks 5 builds completely diffrent and only one machine actual has that tweak working. mean while ever XP pc I made that tweak worked flawlessly

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    As I have argued elsewhere, the main thing turning me away from 8 is 7. I can adapt or use workarounds to metro or the start button, but 7 is still good enough as to make 8 almost irrelevant.

15. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Windows is a disaster.

16. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    my friend has one of those windows phones..and he hates it...only reason he still has it is the contract he signed to...otherwise it would have been in the compactor..and trying out the earlier version of win8 that was out a month or so ago..dev version...the interface is utter crap. im back to win7 for the forseeable future...to say the least.

17. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    Metro needs to have the option of going back to the original user interface and what we have currently in Windows 7. Metro using a big screen TV 1080, 2100P, 8k...and setting up your "Studio Entertainment" system out in the living room or in your "room/caveman hole" is what Metro seems to be geared for. Using the Kinect to have complete control over metro and setup wouldnt be a bad idea either. Wireless keyboard and mouse...and i am good for my FPS. Ill even buy a controller as well for racing sims/sports games.

As long as Microsoft adds "Metro" faster boot times, keeps the reverse GUI of windows 7 and in newer operating systems....i dont see a problem at all..

What i do see is a problem with everyone trying to learn something different or new.

Using the original GUI on the 40-50-60-70-80-120 inch FLAT sceen doesnt seem as slick as Metro using Kinect sitting on your coach to load apps, pictures, movies, games....and you still have full control of wireless keyboard and mouse.

ideas on innovation are more than welcome..

18. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    on install, Windows 8 should have the option of what GUI you would like to use or default to, Metro, or original windows GUI look. that easy....whats everyones complaint? still loads faster than Windows 7, and in my book thats important. I would like to turn on my pc and be in the desktop/metro in 2 seconds rather than 20...and watching your freinds talk **** even on a fast pc.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  19. johnny_h

johnny_h Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I gotta be honest, I'm loving Windows 8. Specifically Metro(though I admit my case is a bit different).
    I use my pc for entertainment, using a remote most of the time.

Being able to start up my pc with a remote, navigate around Metro to open XBMC and watch a movie, or just open up a game and use a game pad works very nicely for me. I don't have to touch my keyboard/mouse unless I need to surf the internet/install new stuff.

My only gripes are:
    1. Once you open an application and then close it, you're dumped on the Desktop. I want it to put me back on Metro

2. I cannot change the entire background image of the tiles that I manually added. It's quite annoying just having them show up as giant tiles with a small icon in the corner.

If MS can sort out those 2 things, I'll be a happy customer

20. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I don't have any complaints with Windows 8.

My experience:
    The UI is noticeably faster than Windows 7.
    It boots and returns from sleep faster than Windows 7.
    My games run better than in Windows 7.

No complaints!