Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Jun 1, 2012.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

My GPU is not overclock and all other games works fine, i played Resident Evil 5 like 5 hrs and it worked fine without no crashes or slow downs with all type of drivers, so Dx10 is fine and as 302.59 it crashed with it too, that's why i changed,
    same error and my computer is super stable it passed prime95 and OCCT Large with everything else working fine this is the only game that crashes now as
    i played skyrim and it never crashed even once for more than 13 hrs staright.

Does everyone using 301.42 with no problems in this game ? cause i wanted to check the Vsync fix with this driver.

I think i might know what the problem is : on the nvidia optimization guide they said MSAA or FXAA for each resolution and card, they never use both of them togther, i think this messing with the game engine, i'll keep playing and tell you. it usually happens after 20min of playing no matter if its in gameplay or in the cutsences. As for now i use only FXAA cause i like the performance and the quality is almost as good or even better.

Another problem : Does anyone has a problem that the keybinds are suddently dissapear after cutsecne or when you start a game it's good and after something its gone again ? when you go to keybinds they are all marked as "-" just - instead a latter

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok, I edited my post to say its probably 302.59 fault, try 301.42 :)

edit: lol im only suggesting, then good luck with 302.59. :nerd:

3. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Ok. 1620p downsampled to 1080p here. No MSAA, FXAA Very High. Adaptive vsync.

Image quality is much better than 1080p with MSAA and it runs smoother too. I strongly recommend trying it.

As Darren showed, MSAA seems to be broken.

Side note: What a game!

4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Broken how with performance ? or crashing too ?

cause i played until now and it didn't crash only with FXAA Very High and MSAA Off , all others are Dx11 and Maximum or Very High HASO

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Nope it crashed again now after couple of hrs playing

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For me its only broken in performance, big memory and performance hit.

Im playing like so (downsampling) with FXAA -v.high and get min 55-130fps, avg 75-85fps. Gpu OC 850mhz.

[​IMG]

Im in nightclub level and no issues yet.

7. Ertard

Ertard Member Guru

GPU:
    560 Ti @ 880/2200
    Been playing with 2xMSAA the entire game (no FXAA, can't stand blur). Very high textures and something else I think, high on everything else, DX11, normal tesselation. Stays around 50-60, saw a couple of drops to 40 but for some reason it's not that noticeable in this game and I guess it hasn't been occuring that often. Was pretty impressed with the performance since I have a 560 Ti. Bodes very well for GTA V.

Looks absolutely stunning. So crisp. Love games where you can see that they've actually done texture work for PC, like this, Saint's Row 3 and Batman for example. Looks sooooo much better then the average port for this reason.

No crashes.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I can't stand FXAA blur either, but this FXAA in MaxPayne is very good, one of the best i've seen and the picture is still sharp., although it could be because of downsampling, i didnt try on my native resolution. :)

9. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Darren's post showed no effect, right. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4332692&postcount=26

So basically you will halve your fps without benefit if you use MSAA.

10. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    how many fps I can get approximately with my system at 1080p in dx11 with high settings and fxaa low or medium? 20-30 ? hmmm...:confused::D

11. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
  12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    So whats your take on SSAO vs HDAO ?

HDAO shadows are too "thin" to my liking, its like almost outlining stuff. very delicate.
    SSAO makes a bigger difference, as wider shadows casts and more stuff seems affected. some would say too noticable? the downside for me with SSAO here is its resolution isn't very high, aka not "high quality" mode if AO forced via inspector.

the third example clearly shows, can also introduce jaggies, although its pretty much an extreme case, and mostly bothers me when starring at it (not the purpose of the game is it? :) )

1620p @ 1080p (DS), all maxed, FXAA (no MSAA) :

SSAO:
    [​IMG]
    HDAO:
    [​IMG]
    SSAO:
    [​IMG]
    HDAO:
    [​IMG]
    SSAO:
    [​IMG]
    HDAO:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Great. SSAO it is. What the hell is HDAO for?

Is there a performance difference?

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Wondering this as well.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    SSAO is standard screen space Ambient Occlusion - it fills the area walls/objects with shadows, like nvidia driver build-in AO. Originally made by Crytek tech.

[​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Space_Ambient_Occlusion

HDAO is horizontal FOV based. And apparently made by AMD

more info:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/directcompute-opencl-gpu-acceleration,3146-3.html

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090815/high-definition-ambient-occlusion-hdao/

16. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    funny thing, while SSAO seems to add much more detailed shadow (put its resolution aside), it actually is about 10% faster than HDAO in max payne 3 on my setup :banana:

I've found the following little demo as a perfect technique comparison example, and while author suggest HDAO looks much better,
    I can clearly see the SSAO method reflect the geometry way more detailed than HDAO outlining just the toughest corners (HDAO seems even less pronounced in the max payne game I would say)...
    guess its a personal preference dilemma.

http://virtazim.org/index.php?optio...vs-hdao&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50&lang=en

17. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    runs so fast on my system 301.40, no issues at all, and with smaa looks even better.
    All maxed out except msaa,cause lacking of vram.
    But i didn't expect such graphics engine to be so light, I wonder why all games aren't like this...

18. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    I wonder is there any config let us set higher precise values for ssao.. It looks decent as far as i can see from my phone

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Here's some lossless PNG comparisons of combinations of MSAA and FXAA (click on the thumbnail then image twice to see it full-size):

0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High

[​IMG]

4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High

[​IMG]

4xMSAA + FXAA=None

[​IMG]

Check out the profile of Max Payne's forehead and nose. With MSAA enabled there are noticeable jaggies which are not there with *only* FXAA set to Very High. Even 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High shows jaggies which suggest that MSAA either overrides FXAA or breaks it completely since you'd expect the anti-aliasing to look at least the same as 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High.

Another comparison from the Chapter IV Part 1 (or 2, I can't remember now) using the same angle since I did not move the controls after resuming my save:

4xMSAA + FXAA=None

[​IMG]

4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High

[​IMG]

0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High

[​IMG]

Points to note: the garbage container on the left hand side has jaggies on the handle, only when MSAA is enabled. It is smoothed out when using FXAA=Very High on its own yet appears jaggy with 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High, again, suggesting that FXAA isn't working properly with MSAA, at least on my PC. Also, the far-left window above the garbage container has a nice glow around it when using FXAA on its own; as soon as you force MSAA, even with FXAA set to Very High, it loses the glow. FXAA does blur the image slightly but offers much better anti-aliasing IMO.

Conclusion: Use FXAA on its own and turn MSAA off.

20. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    I dont have any problems with aliasing??????

So I dont know what you guys are talking about, game looks great on both my systems (AMD-CFX/NV-SLI)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ps. This is with No MSAA, only Highest FXAA setting. Looks perfect to me, and running great.