Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Jun 1, 2012.

1. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Max Payne 3 Nvidia Performance Thread

Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

- MSAA + FXAA seems to be broken as shown in this post. You should use only FXAA.

- SSAO is superior to HDAO as shown in this post. It is also a bit faster.

- Most fps on-screen-display are not working with the game engine. Fraps is reported to work.

- Performance guide here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. Koksii

Koksii Guest

GPU:
    xfx hd6990
    Cant even install it with my 680. I click on PlayMaxpayne3.exe and he launches the updater but 1 sec later it just close itself and yup...that was it...

gg consoleport. last time i bought a console game for pc before waiting for opinions on the port

3. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Got the game running fine with 300.83,
    sure it is as aliased as any other game without any good AA.
    And you get a severe FPS drop when enabling MSAA.

No problems with vsync for me, using 680 GTX with 300.83 driver.

4. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    People are reporting errors when using an OSD for fps. The fps reading is not good but I think you are right, the vsync is.

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    No Problem with vsync here, also 301.42.

But its capped to 30 fps (at some scenes?) and then 60fps (random?), you now what i mean?

It was also in latest Assasins Creed's.

6. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    ^ falling from 60 to 30 w/ vsync on ? sounds like we need triple buffering via d3doverrider again.

7. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    yeah or adaptive vsync since the game is vram hungry.

Also for vram, you can find the exe and disable windows aero when it launches (properties) to save up to 150mb of vram.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I managed to get Max Payne 3 running after three hours of messing around by removing the spaces from the folders where it is installed too and editing the install location registry key. Silly that I had to do that because it's the same bloody bug that L.A. Noire had and I reported that to Rockstar Support last year! :bang:

Anyway, Max Payne 3 runs flawlessly on my system though I only played to part way through Chapter 3. I can't see the framerate because Afterburner and FRAPS aren't working but it felt and looked like 60 fps and I didn't see any stuttering or screen tearing (v-sync seems to work fine for me). It was silky-smooth throughout.

I'm not that blown away by the visuals though. Anti-aliasing is poor despite me having FXAA set to Very High and 4xMSAA (8xMSAA requires more VRAM than my GTX 680 have though I don't quite understand how it needs an extra 1.4 GB - 4xMSAA = 2,950 MB and 8xMSAA = 4,300 NB). I'm not sure MSAA is even working; it certainly doesn't look as effective as it does in other games (I'm obviously using DX11). Shadows look a bit lo-res and blocky (set to Very High) and faces, though detailed, are stiff and unconvincing (I guess L.A. Noire has spoilt me). It's not a bad looking game but it's not an amazing looking one either for the 28 GB install it requires.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Remove the spaces from the folders where the game is installed and then go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3

and change the InstallFolder variable so that its pathname is the same as the one with all the spaces removed.

e.g. my game was installed to E:/Games/Rockstar Games/Max Payne 3 so I edited the folders so the game was installed to E:/Games/RockstarGames/MaxPayne3

I then edited that registry key so that the InstallFolder also read E:/Games/RockstarGames/MaxPayne3

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    started playing... so regarding the 30fps cap, I should have guessed it applies to video scenes, as opposed to ingame scenes, which seem to mix together throughout the game. nothing unusual.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Adaptive vsync helped with the 30fps cap, thanks. :)

12. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Here I get some stuttering with a single 680 at 1080p 2xMSAA (max). So I don't use 1620p anymore. I can't really tell down to what it falls. I may be CPU bound though. Lacking the use of an OSD makes it harder to diagnose.

I just realized there is Very High Shadow settings. That is going to do a big difference.

Regarding tess, i think medium is quite enough. Isn't it? I can't see a difference going higher.

MSAA. I agree it is quite bad. I really like the look of the game though and it is one of the best narration ever. The mood it creates is really impressing me.

Edit: Not CPU bound at all but GPU usage drops to 50% all the time.

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    So you guys have a problem with Max payne , and its bought?
    Kinda wonder if the person in post 2 didn't download it lol

14. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    I play on steam. I would never pirate a good PC game that is not a console port. I also want the patches down the road.

With Steam, the game works flawlessly so far.

15. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Ok i need adaptive vsync at 1620p with 2xmsaa or i get stuttering.

I also tried tripple buffering with no success

16. Boggy68

Boggy68 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI G6 Gaming
    I have to ask, but how on earth did you figure out that fix? You have saved me plenty of grief posting that fix. Does it only effect those that install to drives other than C:?

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Because it was the same with L.A.Noir (Rockstar's latest game).

18. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Bahhh Max Payne 3 isn't working for me in Windows 8. Tried different video drivers.
    I have this in event viewer:
    Faulting application name: MaxPayne3.exe, version: 1.0.0.17, time stamp: 0x4fc81921
    Faulting module name: socialclub.dll, version: 1.0.9.5, time stamp: 0x4fc7e900
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x00090044
    Faulting process id: 0x150c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd409a59b398b4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3\MaxPayne3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club\socialclub.dll
    Report Id: a3426864-ac8d-11e1-9b6e-d067e538143f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    To be perfectly honest I found it from reading through a thread on Steam but it is exactly the same error that I had when I installed L.A. Noire to a location with spaces in the pathname. I stumbled across that fix myself though as it didn't require a registry hack - I just installed to a path with no spaces in the name you see - I suspect that would work for Max Payne 3 too.

The annoying thing is that I reported this issue to Rockstar Support last year and they obviously didn't pay any heed to it as this new game has the EXACT same issue!!! :bang:

20. COD4000

COD4000 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I had MSAA x4 on with FXAA on Very high but could still see a lot of aliasing and could feel the performance drop. I tried turning MSAA off and leaving FXAA on Very high and couldn't notice a difference and in some cases I swear it looked better than 4XMSAA being on and definitely felt smoother.