Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Might be placebo or not. One thing I've noticed is that Useplatformclock and hpet can make your mouse feel a tiny wee bit different in FPS's. It's a very subtle change though, it was more apparent on XP with /USEPMTIMER.

Btw Von Dach how come your DPC latency is so high? Even without the tweaks I only get 75 to 150 ish.

2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    HPET On have a performance benefit, no question about that, WinSAT prove it.
    I removed the tests you talk about, I should have restarted DPC Latency Checker between each test, bad intervals give bad results.

I remade one but with BF3 window minimized instead:
    [​IMG]
    The difference is quite small but Useplatformclock Off win with an ~35us average. Useplatformclock On ~45us.
    So I don't recommend Useplatformclock On anymore. For the program Set Timer Resolution, after retesting, it did not improve anything from the default gaming resolution of 1.000ms to the forced 0.500ms.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That timer res program helped on my Q6600, but it doesn't seem to do anything of much use on my 2600K build.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried to run vantage ? my system hangs when hpet is turned off

5. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yep just tried to run Vantage and my system hangs too. I've returned everything to how they were before I did this tweak. That means HPET back ON in the BIOS and deleted the useplatformclock value with CMD and admin
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock false was enough tbh :p

Meh the way I see it, it needs a try. I've seen systems perform better with it and some better without it.

7. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Hey Von,

Thanks again for your hard work, I use these tweaks on my new win7 install and it rocks.

One problem however, Diablo 3 doesn't want to launch.

I thought it was just the installer at first, but now that the game is installed it still get stuck in a loop:
    ===================
    Diablo III launcher:

Updating setup files...
    Launching Blizzard launcher
    ====================
    and it loops between those two messages, with the tweaks turned off it installed and launched fine... but after reapplying the tweaks its broken again.

Any idea which disable service/setting is causing this?
    (I am using optimized settings for all)

I'd really like to continue using your tweaks :)

EDIT: I ran the services - manual and it seems to be working again (with other tweaks still on optimized)

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  8. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks to report that, it's interesting.
    It's probably because Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), service "Winmgmt" is disabled in Optimized.
    Edit it to auto in "Service - Optimized.cmd" and you should be good to go.
    If I release another tweak package someday, I'll modify this one back to default, there is to much basic functions associated to it to turn it off.
    Command-line commands like "taskkill" don't work without WMI enabled.
    Alternatively someone could leave Winmgmt enabled but turn off the WMI Autologgers, which will lower WMI service usage. But some software like Media Center (for TV tuner) need the WMI Autologgers started too for TV scheduled recording.
    So yeah this one is only for extreme finickiers.

A side note to all: never disable Application Experience - AeLookupSvc service, leave it manual.
    Windows start this one briefly every time you play with program files and you'll get difficulties modifying/moving/deleting files without it available.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Hi Von,

I changed winmgmt to auto in the services - optimized.cmd, applied and rebooted, but the same problem remains; stuck in loop.

Applied Services - Manual.cmd and all is good again

Must be another service causing the issue

10. srdjan2311

srdjan2311 New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870 md1g
    hi von dach. In services - optimized.cmd you have
    sc config intelppm start= disabled
    Shouldnt this be on demand for us people with intel cpus?

11. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Probably Diablo want to register something in Task Scheduler or want some kind of confirmation from Event Log.

No, it's related to power management, you'll see exclamation marks in Device Manager but don't worry, performance and CPU features stay the same.
    I would have added the AMD version of it too (amdppm) if I could have tested it first, but I don't own an AMD CPU.
    I inspired myself a lot from the minimum required as you can see in Safe Mode, intelppm is disabled in Safe Mode.
    A better way will be to disable Power in services.msc but if you do that Windows Audio is disabled also even if no dependencies link them officially.
    Any gamer should set his power plan in Control Panel to high performance anyway. I don't know what effect this can have on other plans.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I'd like to share to whom it may be useful my sweet-spot for competitive gameplay in BF3 and most games for 1GB+ video cards vram.

By sweet-spot I mean where quality is best without causing to much visual latency and slow down under heavy warfare and open terrains in first person shooters.

My drivers settings preference (over default) first:

Code:
    NVIDIA Control Panel
    CUDA - GPUs					None

NVIDIA Inspector Base Profile
    Antialiasing - Transparency Supersamping	Supersampling
    Toggle FXAA on or off				On (BF3 Off)
    Texture filtering - Quality			High Quality
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization	Off
    Maximum pre-rendered frames			8
    Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration		Single display performance mode
    Power management mode				Prefer maximum performance
    Threaded optimization				On
    Maximum frames allowed				8

NVIDIA related service				Disabled (after setup)

Notes
    [LIST]
    [*]Unticking GPU for CUDA disable Physx too, I don't even install Physx drivers.
    [*]Maximum pre-rendered frames and Maximum frames allowed are linked together, input the same value for both.
    [*]Supersampling 1x is not available in NVIDIA Control Panel.
    [*]I use in-game FXAA-High for BF3, a little higher performance/lower quality than driver FXAA. Other games I force driver FXAA.
    [*]I try to run games in pure driver mode (no profiles, just my Base Profile) the most often possible.
    [/LIST]
    AMD Catalyst Control Center
    Catalyst A.I.					Off
    Texture Filtering Quality			High Quality
    Enable Surface Format Optimization		Off
    Anti-Aliasing Mode				Super-sample AA

Catalyst Application Profiles			Blank (0 Bytes)
    AMD related services				Disabled
    AMD Catalyst Control Center			Disabled (after setup)

BF3 user.cfg
    RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0

Battlefield 3 snappy sweet-spot:
    [​IMG]

Comparison of quality/performance for NVIDIA & AMD "sweet-spot" versus [Ultra settings AA 1x AF 16x FXAA High HBAO]

Upper Left Corner OSD Ressources Usage Description (what you'll see)
    [​IMG]

NVIDIA 33.3% FPS gain
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/125192

AMD 33.3% FPS gain
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/125194

Give it a try if you want to see how more snappy it is, may solve a lot of micro-stuttering and fps drops too.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. srdjan2311

srdjan2311 New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870 md1g
    Thanks for clearing that up. I've been using tweaks from your threads for the past year. Just want to say well done and thank you very much for your effort.

14. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    this is an excellent thread. I read the whole thing. I just wanted to say that, and subscribe to any updates. :)

15. ahalama

ahalama Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5770 HAWK 1 GB
    If u are pilot MESH QUALITY = ULRTA is a must coz MESH QUALITY=view distance ,and u got best spot quality from jet\helis with that setting.
    Does someone use cfosspeed and\or process lasso for gaming?Are they help?
    P>S>Von Dach yours tweak thread are totally epic ,hope you dont abandoned it again for the love of GOD :) .

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I typically use process lasso, yes. I've also used cfos several times but I get mixed results, honestly I don't know what to think of it.
    It can't solve my "worst case scenario" (even if all PCs on my network use it) and sometimes games feel even more disconnected when using it (even though the ping reading may actually be lower).

17. VictorMizer

VictorMizer Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Need to turn "Secondary Logon" back to automatic.

18. srdjan2311

srdjan2311 New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870 md1g
    Any news on a new Von Dach Optimization Kit :). Last update was in may.

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Sure! I corrected the services startup with your inputs guys, plus I added Windows 8 services.

I removed third party programs in the kit but I added a useful bookmarks list.

Run Services - Optimized.cmd with RunAsSys 1.2 if you want all the services in the list to be disabled as commanded.

Or run Services - Optimized.cmd then open services.msc with RunAsSys 1.2 and disable those services manually:

Group Policy Client
    Time Broker (Win8)
    System Events Broker (Win8)
    Windows Store Service (Win8)
    Power (Win8 Only! If you do that in Win7 you lose audio, but in Win8 it's fine, I did not test effects of it on games but I guess no power management should equal full power :))

Before doing this in Win8 you should uninstall all the Metro apps and install Classic Shell (see bookmarks list).

Enjoy

Von Dach Optimization Kit v2012.09
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ya83r0

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    how to disable core parking ? from the registry, i went for the first key, and changed the attributes to 100 %, but the second key i didn't know what to do, in the performance tweaks they didn't explain about what to change, there are sub keys under the second key, what attributes should i change?