Nvidia Geforce 9800+ Driver crashes...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrRebound, May 20, 2012.

1. MrRebound

MrRebound Guest

GPU:
    axle geforce 9800gtx+ 1gb
    Hello,
    i just got myself an axle 9800 gtx+ (1gb)

unfortunatly the driver crashes during several games including diablo 3...

the screen freezes or goes black, only to return a few seconds later on the windows desktop with a small message stating that the driver crashed and been restored.

nvidia seems to messed up their latest drivers (for the geforce 9 series), as i could find loads of similar complaints on the "open" nvidia forum.

there were some proposed driver versions with settings, but im not sure which one´s good for me.

back in the days i recall guru3d had fixed drivers for sh** like that.

i was browsing the guru3d-forum without success (prolly wrong search-terms), maybe anyone can redirect me to a post handling this issue.

thanks alot
    MrR.

really great that there is no nvidia support mailaddress, instead you are beeing redirected to a page where you can "choose" your gra-card manufacturer ... oups axle isnt listed... and on the axle homepage there is no support mail either, they try to redirect you to the merchant - who ultimately redirects you to nvidia. AWESOME SYSTEM!

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Um this is 2012. 9800's were good back in 2006

3. MrRebound

MrRebound Guest

GPU:
    thx for the helpful reply... (just another post added on your master troll status ?)

the 9800gtx+ came out in mid 2008, yea thats 4 years ago. but still it is giving decent performance on a chipset that doesnt support higher geforce versions.

are you part of the "trow it away and buy new faction", even it can be fixed ?

before my last 9800+ gave up on me, it gave me crisis 2 in full details.

but yeah why bother when you got an kick-ass SLI etc etc

4. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    hmm seems like drivers are simply broken best way is to remove drivers using Driver Sweeper from phyxi0n.
    1. To Remove them fully start in Safe Mode.
    2. Then Start Driver Sweeper Then Select Nvidia - Display Then mark it.
    3. Then Press Analyse
    4. Then Press Clean

Reboot System if required repeat it if some nvidia drivers found.

Then Enter In Control Panel Find
    Windows Updates: Click on Check for updates
    to allow it find nvidia drivers it will get latest stable one even if they seems old they will be more then good then download them install them and you are ready to go i hope it will help you if not maybe best guess will be or Broken OS or PSU Can't handle GPU.

5. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    9800 GTX+ came out in July 2008
    8800 GTX came out in 2006.

I still have a 9800 GTX+ which has been RMA'd 4 times and replaced 4 times.
    Same symptoms 2 times it died, working fine one day, turn on the pc the next day and no signal to the monitor.
    Same symptoms the next 2 times, grey/black screen in the middle of a gaming session, reboot worked for a bit longer then system no longer posted on the next boot until the card was removed.
    The last time it was rma'd was January this year.
    I can only thank Zotac for honoring the 5 year extended warranty they gave with the card when I bought it and that the rma procees was painless and a quick turn around.
    Best $266 (AUD) I ever spent on a video card, only cause the warranty was honored..lol

I use 296.10 drivers with the card and can't say I have any major issues in games.
    Sure some odd game will crash randomly at some time, but nothing out of the ordinary.
    With that said I can't say that I'm using the machine that the card is in that often these days and haven't and won't be playing Diablo 3 (on any pc).
    I did try a newer driver 301.24 with the card but fps dropped dramaticaly in any game I tried. I really didn't expect the newer driver to actually work at all since the driver was aimed at the GTX 680.

6. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    Diablo 3 beta worked for me fine sow try investigate with my previous post ...

7. MrRebound

MrRebound Guest

GPU:
    Thanks alot Faks, that did the trick !
    even though i think the drivers weren´t "broken". just like smashly said, newer drivers just arent made for those old cards. i also tried 301.x beta and it was unplayable in tribes ascend and d3...
    thx again !

8. st0nez

st0nez Guest

GPU:
    R290/4GB
    Yeah it is amazing that they even still support the cards. Also these new drivers are still in beta so you may have more luck when they are approved.

On a side note having gone from a 440 > 6800 > 7300 (laptop) > 8800GTX > 9800 GTX > GTX460 > GTX670 I think my biggest jump was 7300 > 8800, man those and the 9800s rocked the party. In fact many of my mates still rock a 9800 or 4850 and still play most games on high with some med settings and still kick ass at lans, it's as much about how you use it but the 9800 is still a fine card unless your wanting ultra high and all the aa turned up.

Edit: Also Welcome great to see you on here. Nevermind Raven he's just a little lonely and was hoping his machine would get him mates and since that failed is now trying to belittle others to make himself feel better.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. st0nez

st0nez Guest

GPU:
    R290/4GB
    Sorry I lied.... I think going from a Amstrad to Apple LC3 was a bigger step lol

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe if your running 1024x768 resolution. I had two of them in SLI prior to my GTX470 and they would not run Crysis 2 at max settings.

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Yep couldn't resist the trollage on this one. But here's a healthy piece of advice...

Whenever you buy a new video card you know its gonna be out-dated within a year. So what i do to keep up with technology is carefully watch release dates and reviews.

When you know a new card is only a week or so away from launch, stick ur current card/s on ebay and sell em fast. That way you'll get a non-depreciated price for them and upgrading to the latest cards will only cost a fraction.

Im not part of the throw it away mob, i'm in with the recycle tech gang :p