The new 690 is strictly a stock price PR move.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pixelsmack, May 8, 2012.

1. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I knew there was a reason I joined this website.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, can't go past Hilbert for reviews :nerd:

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Wtf...its not a case of it being needed but more a case of people wanting more power and more advanced hardware

4. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    That's not what I was on about. I was raging because the "press" was trying to tell everyone this is what every gamer should have. Stroking NVIDIA to help with their PR blitz.

Guru3D actually does point out the 690s true niche' nature. Good for them.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Youre starting to backtrack, before it was ANY game, nows its 95%?

Yeah dont know what youre talking about.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I know full well what a single 580 can do at 1080p, which is why I have 2.

7. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I don't like the way the 680s and 690s are going, either. Plus, I'm a little wary about 2GB of video memory lasting a while. But, instead of raging in my own thread, I bought two 7950s for Crossfire after the price reduction. :D Two are still pricey but now that my electricity bill is a fraction of what it was due to no more heating I can afford them.

They will last plenty of time, and if something goes wrong they have a three year warranty. I don't have a problem switching when one company has something attractive or when one has something I don't like. I got plenty of use out of this 560Ti and I'll still get some money for it when I sell it. It's not like once you pick a company you have to stay with them.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I said any game at 40-60fps with a single card. I was focusing my point with the 95%.

9. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    You can see my system specs in the sidebar. All my games are at 1080 on my 46" plasma. All of them run at 40-60fps with my single 580sc.

10. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I couldn't stand using a TV no matter how good it looks. Too much input lag.

11. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    Then you'll be further sickened that I also play with an XB360 controller (for Windows)

12. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

go to nvidia inspector, set your aa hex code properly for that game, and put the aa to:

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS]

+

8XSparsegrid AA

Then report back, 100% the card will be running extremely slow, I know mine does at thoses settings with OLD games.

Tera online, 2 gpus 100% usage, 8xSQ [Combined: 2x2 SS + 2x MS] + 2/4XSparseGrid aa, moves like 10-20 fps.

IF I have it to the top aa on tera, 1 fps.

Lineage 2 looks fantastic on that first mention aa setting but it moves kinda slow and vram hit is huge but absolutely clean.

3dmark06 looks absolutely stunning on the extreme aa settings in nvidia inspector but it moves kinda slow.

I am all image quality over speed, I can handle 20-30 fps, depending on game, its fine.

690 will be alot better when it comes to this.

13. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    Max settings for the GAME, not the card. I was never talking about doing engineering hacks to the cards max mode, just the games.

I use 8x AA and 16x ansio in Skyrim because anything more than that at 1080 is wasted. There is virtually no difference in image quailty. (and yes I am running in ULTRA plus the DLC HQ texture packs)

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

I never use normal aa, ****ty quality, only supersampling or higher quality, Absolutely no flickering on bushes from close up or far away, no flickering on fences,etc,etc. If I see none of that, I say its very clean.

thats one thing I love pc over console, you can have an old game no matter what, and can make it look cleaner then some of theses console games out, not better, overall clean quality.

but yeah, thats prettie good one card doing that, @ X16 supersampling bias, I bet skyrim would look fantastic but it would run mighty slow, even on most demanding card out.

15. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    My Skyrim never stutters, and runs smooth. Same with Crysis 1. Again, I run the games at MAX based on the GAMES settings. Not driver mods. Maybe this is why there is this gap in what people think is possible with the cards?

In the end, only Metro 2033 running full-tilt with it's settings makes me curious about a second 580. It's one of the ones that falls in to that "5%" I mentioned. But I am not spending $600 or $1200 to do it. PLAN BETTER

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

I tend to enhance the application settings aa or override them cause I am completely anal on AA iq, sorrie man, its not you, its me.

but yeah, your card seems to be running good on thoses settings, no doubt.

17. Don1376

Don1376 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 FTW
    Isn't that what the media does with everything that'll make them money? I mean every commercial the media is telling you something you should have. I don't see the difference. If it's not for you, don't buy it. Alot of other things to stress over then what the media (doing it's job) tells you.

18. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    IMHO Guru3D IS the niche. OCers, enthusiasts, there's alot of words to describe the people that are here and would buy the 690. I am one of them.

My 580's are crying as I've just gone from 23" to dell 30" playing BF3 at 2560x1600 max blah blah blah getting from constant 60 to 30's FPS when I need to concentrate most is just unacceptable. This is when I rage!

But you raging about a price of one of the most top end cards you can get on THIS forum is like LOL GTFO. It is your opinion that's fine, but it's like whinging about your girl not giving you enough ***** at a women's rights forum.. it's just lol :)

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    imo 690 is not worth the price tag it carries. majority of people are doing 1080p with 1 monitor. 3 monitors and 5x the res of 1080p is not the normal. its just alot of people here think it is. either way it one of those e-peen stroking products, and nvidia knows this and they know people will buy it at that prices or hell any price they choose. its probably one the reasons why gpu are getting more and more expensive. despite most game cant even use the power agian 3 montiors and 5x the res of 1080p is not the norm. hell DX11 still not the norm and i blame consoles for that and the crappy ports to pc

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think the 690 is priced fairly in comparison to the 680.
    Instead of buying two $499 ($998) you can have a single card with dual 680 gpu's on the one board that uses less power, produces less heat, and less noise, for almost the same performance (1-2% difference due to slightly reduced clocks) at $999.
    As for "we don't need this kind of performance" topic goes, I'd rather see tech advance, not fall behind. If that means I'd be able to play Crysis with a midrange card at 200fps than that just makes me one happy chap.