Want to switch to a pci-e soundcard. What to get?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FollowGr, May 1, 2012.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    One of them had serious issues as I said and was a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio pci-e 1x the other was an Azuentech card can't remember wich was over 1.5 year ago :)

It wasn't the pci-e 1x slots though since I tried on 2x brand new mobos of diff brand and both high end. Still got one of them unused in closet ( Asus sabertooth x58).

But wich soundcard should I recommend my friend to get if its between Asus Xonar DX, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro.

He will do alot of home cinema ( hence 7.1 of outmost importance), some casual gaming like Diablo 3, listen to music alot and maybe his wifey will do some the sims or some other rubbish.

Bang for buck is to be considered here.

2. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Quote : From Asus we have only the "XONAR DX" 66.30 € and "XONAR ESSENCE STX" 184.90 € (which is for headphones as I see and cost too much.)

People should understand that the Xonar ST/STX is NOT limited to just headphone use. It has analogue outs for use as a normal stereo soundcard. Because Asus list the ST and STX on their website as a "headphone amp card" it doesn't mean you have to use headphones.
    http://uk.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_STX/#specifications
    The ST and STX are awesome cards, the best I have heard. I have mine rigged up to an external amplifier and floorstanding speakers and the sound quality is amazing!
    The lack of EAX doesn't bother me. I can't remember the last time I saw a game that utilised EAX.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    Problem is that I don't see it supporting 5.1 speakers and nevertheless I don't want to give so much.

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    You leaning towards the titanium aswell? :)

Cost more then the Xonar but if ASUS don't have the same software with crysalizer, bass enchance, 3d positioning then its not that awesome :/

5. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    As much as I want to get away from creative... pffffff

Compared to my current X-Fi how will you guys consider the "XONAR DX", as an upgrade or downgrade?

That is for a little bit of all kind of use (gaming, movies, music listening) with z-5500 speakers.

One other reason it makes me hesitate to go away from X-fi is the Crystallizer.

I know that any audiophile will tell me that is a gimmick and as many say you can achieve almost the same effect if upping the voice but to my ears atleast everything with crystallizer ON sounds better and with it off my ears don 't like it :s

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  6. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    In the Xonar control panel you have a graphic equalizer which does the same thing as the "crystalizer".

[​IMG]

And lots of other things to play with too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    The Xonar DX has a SNR of 116dB compared to the Fatal1ty Champion's 109dB. Judging by that specification alone, sound quality should be much clearer with the DX.

Whether or not Crystalizer improves audio, that is a matter of perception. What's important is what you think. If you use the feature and you think it sounds better, you may want to stick with Creative.

8. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    Today I will install my X-FI in my friends PC and let him use it for a few days to decide if he likes it. I bet he will :)

I think I will go with an ASUS card after all. I think is better to try something new than go from an X-FI to an X-FI.

9. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Seems like I will recommend the ASUS Xonar DX to my mate then.

10. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    I just uninstalled my X-FI and installed the onboard realtek.

Damn now I remember why its best to have a proper soundcard :p

It sounds like crap :S

At least through optical the sound is bearable.

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I'm using the X-fi fatal1ty pro one an it does a great job. works good with latest drivers on W7.

Till now, no complaints.
    Great surround sound, great music quality :)
    Cristallizer for the win ;)

12. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    I just ordered the Xonar D2X.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    POst your impressions once you get it and if you need any help setting it up, that's what we are here for.

On a side note, don't worry about missing such effects as the Crystalizer as you will find that when you get a higher quality output such effects will actually downgrade the sound. I think you will be happy with the D2X, once you have it setup and have had a chance to have a listen.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  14. FollowGr

FollowGr Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260
    Delete

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  15. Valagard

Valagard Guest

X-Fi Crystalizer and equalizer are two entirely different things

Crystalizer is like Anti-aliasing for sound, even helps out flac's considering most if not ALL of them are recorded at 16-bit 44khz unless you rip them from a 24-bit audio bluray but even they are just at 48khz, just set the soundcard to 24-bit 96khz, turn on crystalizer and sounds way better

16. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I think the crystalizer just makes music sound artificial. You cannot "add" anything to digital files. All it does it emphasise frequencies (same as a graphic equalizer) and add a bit of distortion too. It's probably useful with low end speakers and a rubbish source. If you've got decent equipment you shouldn't be using it.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    IMO Crystalizer ruins audio and sounds like rather typical v-shaped equalizer trick. Might be usable for crap speakers/headphones but with anything half decent I wouldn't use it.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Agreed, I have never bothered with it either when using a card that has that effect.

19. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Sounds great to me and I have $150 headphones

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    price doesn't tell us much, which headphones are you running with the card? Which has Crystalizer sounding good to you.

WHen I tried it back when I had a X-Fi HD Pci-e on my DT880's pro-250 amped to see how it would do, i turned it back off quicky as it ruined the sound.