NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DeusEXMachina, Apr 9, 2012.

1. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I thought about trying that, but my videocard is OC'ed by default, and I don't want to fry it just to use a driver... LOL

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If you're still interested in trying it, you'd only need to change clocks by 2-5mhz.
    Hopefully they correct this soon :banana:

3. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Nah... The problem is, it also gets stuck at the maximum clock, with this fan running @ 3600rpm even hours after I closed the games... I'll wait for nvidia to truly fix it... The 296.39s are great too...

4. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    Anyone notices that with Antialiasing Transparency set to Supersampling (2x,4x,8x) really blurs out the image (similar to FXAA), and Multisample, while not as good as Supersampling, doesn't? Has it been always like this or am I experiencing some sort of bug?

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just been reading the NVIDIA.com forums and according to ManuelG NVIDIA plan on dropping MSAA support for Unreal Engine 3 games in their next driver release in favour of the inferior FXAA, which I'm less keen on due to the way it blurs text and HUDs. That's very disappointing to read as the ability to force AA in Unreal Engine 3 games via AA compatibility flags is one of the things that set NVIDIA apart from AMD. :(

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That would be quite sad actually.

By the way: I really like the AA quality FXAA can deliver up close but it never seems to do much for anything further away. Can I safely assume that this is typical behavior or am I facing a specific bug/problem (older card / installation / whatever)?

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    No, I think that is how FXAA works as it is doesn't anti-aliasing polygon edges, just the entire screen so it doesn't know where edges are, etc. I downloaded the Sniper Elite V2 demo last night on Steam and that is a DX11 game that appears to use FXAA. The game has relatively effective anti-aliasing around the character and immediate surroundings but buildings and objects in the distance appear jaggy and even shimmer when moving.

IMO, FXAA works best with MSAA in place of supersampling and helps remove jaggies on foliage, trees and fences which use transparent textures (such as in Skyrim for example). It is less effective on its own as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, NFS: The Run and numerous out FXAA-only games have shown as all of those have bad aliasing in places.

Very disappointing really considering that DX11 is the future. I know that DX9 and deferred rendering don't play nice with MSAA but I always thought DX10 and 11 did. Obviously I was wrong. :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm sure it will still be possible to do it manually with Nvidia Inspector, is he not saying that they will no longer be working on the flags themselves?

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At the moment, forced AA using the compatibility flags is broken for some Unreal Engine 3 games such as Mass Effect and Unreal Tournament III (not all of them are affected though - X-Men Origins: Wolverine and BioShock 1/2 DX10 still work for example). From his wording, I believe ManualG is saying that they won't be fixing the ones that don't work as they intend dropping MSAA/UE3 support altogether in the next driver.

Whether that means BioShock 1/2 and Wolverine will no longer work either in the next driver remains to be seen but they clearly changed something in the driver as Mass Effect and UTIII used to work with forced MSAA before. That means they could do it again and break other UE3 games.

10. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    FXAA is pretty poor at resolving complex sub-pixel details resulting in artifacts when those sub-pixel details are in motion (distant complex objects like trees for example) and those artifacts cause the shimmering effect you are seeing.

While msaa profiles for games that use engines like Unreal 3 "worked" they still never solved the issue with specular light aliasing which to me can be far far more jarring then edge aliasing.

Sadly, SS is the only real one stop shop to solving these issues across many games.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    4xMSAA + (at least) 2xSGSAA works really well in Unreal Engine 3 games as I used it for Mass Effect 3 and that annoying aliasing on surfaces/walls with specular light was substantially reduced. FXAA doesn't work nearly as well as that is what the game itself used for 'anti-aliasing'. I prefer FXAA (or SGSSAA) combined with MSAA personally as it gives the best anti-aliasing IMO.

12. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Yes i agree pretty stupid move, looks like they can't fix it anymore..

Btw, he said they're not gonna disable it completely, just disable force override AA and set the flag to enhance. Yeah it will be useless unless you manually force/edit AA flags in nv inspector..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  13. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Got rid of the drivers, stuck clock issues and stuttering in BF3. Back to 296.10WHQL, all smooth.

14. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    These drivers have been pretty much perfect on my new rig running my 560Ti's in SLI. BF3 runs fantastic and 3D vision is improved a lot.

One thing I noticed by accident but truely love, is now Windowed mode works in 3D with a 2nd non 3D display plugged in! WOOT! Before, only Fullscreen games in the 3D screen worked. Now instead of having to disable a monitor to see 3D video and such in websites, it all works native like it should as well, Nice.

The SLI GPU idle clock bug still is there (where one will never downclock to idle with the other) but nvidiainspector seems to fix that with its idle clock dealie.

15. Kian_a9

Kian_a9 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560 Ti HAWK
    wtf is this ****!after 2 days all my games run @ 3-4 FPS!!!! i reinstall the driver fps back to normal but stuttering as hell in BF3, Batman AC and almost all games! so i removed the driver with driver sweeper and clean install 295.73 but the damn stuttering problem persists!!i reset clocks didnt help what should i do can someone help?!wanna try 296.10 ...

and here is MSI AB see gpu loads?not 99/100% jump over 70 to 99 omg :wanker:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

16. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    Anyone having crashes with this set on BF Bad Company 2? Hope is not my oc :p other games run fine no probs.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  17. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Does FXAA only work in DirectX? It doesn't seem to work when I activate it in Doom 3, and the engine is OpenGL.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  18. Ricky78

Ricky78 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N1060G1
    I didn't tried it with Doom 3, but it works with X-Plane (it uses OGL too).

19. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    I got it to work in Doom 3, now. However, it does not work in Crysis no matter how I try to force it with NVIDIA Inspector. Supersampling doesn't work in Crysis, either.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  20. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    How can FXAA or SSAA be forced into Crysis using Inspector with this driver?