Downsampling: How to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wasteomind, Jun 17, 2011.

1. rootsoft

rootsoft Member

GPU:
    MSi GTS 450 SC
    Anyone have been able to do this with a 120hz monitor? I got the ViewSonic 120hz 1680x1050

2. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
  3. rootsoft

rootsoft Member

GPU:
    MSi GTS 450 SC
  4. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    You just install it over your monitor's current driver.
    Go to device manager and update your monitor's driver manually and then choose the directory with the inf file you made.

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Very nice guide. I managed to get my Asus G53 up to 3840x2160 @ 30Hz, but none of my games seem to recognize the resolution. Might it be because of the refresh rate?

6. ChaosPhoenix

ChaosPhoenix Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GLH 1080GTX
    Hi there,
    I'm using downsampling for the first time with 291.51er drivers and I noticed something strange. The first thing is, the control panel always overwrites my manual resolution configuration and sets it to automatic. Even if I'm using my admin account.

The second thing is, it still works. Even in DX10/ DX11 games like BF3 the 2880x1800 resolution shows up in the graphics panel and everything is ok. Is it this easy now?

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    uh... dunno, I am using 3200x1800 @ 60Hz and EVERY single one of my games lists this resolution.

8. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    can you read text at that rez, my text gets all fuzzy but graphics game wise are fine. Just curious looks like you see the same thing from what i can tell of the screen shot sof your desktop.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well yeah, here too desktop text looks fuzzy, but it's not like I would use this resolution on desktop.

maybe playing wth dpi would fix it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It's probably because of the refresh rate then.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Wow what a great tutorial on downsampling thank you.
    I was able to do 3840x2160 @50Hz with great looking screen.

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    with a 120hz fullhd monitor, I've managed 2560x1440 @ 75hz.
    could not achieve higher refresh rate (using beta driver 301.24). pixel clock limitation of 165mhz is a pain, but I can live with that.

however, I do notice a couple of drawbacks:

1. higher input lag when downsampling. (could "pefrorm scaling on: GPU/Display" setting affect this?)

2. in order to utilize the 75hz refresh rate, in most games, I have to set the custom res as desktop resolution first, then launch the game so the driver's setting "preferred refresh rate: highest available" will actually force 75hz.
    otherwise, games lock me to 60hz for that res. they do not list 75hz as available res anyway. also, "in most games" means that some would not force 75hz regardless of desktop resolution.
    btw, forcing 75hz withing game's config files when available (ini/xml etc.) does not help either.

its quite annoying to select 2560x1440@75hz for desktop res anytime before launching a game. can also mess desktop icons.

Is there any solution or suggestion for the above ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I don't know of any solution. Some games are just like that. I have the same issues minus the input lag

14. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    With a Full HD 120Hz monitor you're running dual link DVI. At 1920x1080@120Hz my pixel clock is above 285. You've got twice the pixelclock as with a 60Hz monitor. So lower your refresh rate to 60Hz and you should be able to get 3840x2160.

[​IMG]

15. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    Something here doesn't make sense to me.
    If the GPU can do the scaling, why do we have to mess with all these custom resolutions settings and timings?
    If I choose a lower in-game resolution than my monitor is set to, the GPU upscales it to my native resolution. Likewise, it should be possible to choose a higher in-game resolution than the monitor is set to and the GPU should downscale it to native resolution. This really shouldn't have to do anything with supported monitor resolutions at all.

[edit] I was thinking, when you take a look at the screenshot above; the upper part of the settings is what the drivers report to Windows, the lower part (Timings and actual pixel width and height) is what the card is sending to your monitor and you better leave those alone. So what you're doing in the upper part of the panel has absolutely got nothing to do with your monitor. Leave the timings on Auto and just change the upper custom resolution. Then, when you run into a certain resolution which fails the test, it's your graphics card not being able to handle those timings, not your monitor. Beware though, never try to use this custom resolution in the main monitor resolution settings pane because then the card will actually send those timings and resolution to your monitor. That's why you're getting the warning when using the Custom Resolution panel for the first time. [/edit]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

16. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I've tried to setup 3840x2160@60hz but couldn't get there, auto and manual timings, desktop is zoomed in or something with a bigass cursor, or screen is distorted, or both.
    I also tried 2560x1440@75hz with auto timings as Nisei suggested - but the screen got distorted. while this exact res work fine with manual timings.
    So, while on it, using same res that works manually, I tried to raise horizontal total pixels one notch further, just for the pixel clock to pass 165mhz "limit", and found out screen got distorted again.
    so it seems to me that pixel clock is still limited to 165mhz on dual link DVI when downsampling, maybe a software (driver/win7) limit, go figure...
    maybe I need to setup different "front porch"/"sync width" ? as I only set these as shown in pictures (don't know much about it). I do know the drill with total pixels though (at least I'd like to think I do).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  17. sab3r

sab3r Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 460 OC @ SLI
    GPU scaling doesn't work for me. I've got a 22" monitor that has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and a Geforce GTX 460. All graphics cards should support 1080p, yet I get a "Timing not supported" from the monitor when I create a custom resolution with 1920x1080.

18. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I did some more testings and found out that since upgrading from GTX570 to GTX680 (inc. drivers), I can no longer create custom resolutions higher than this 2560x1440. the desktop "zoom in" never happened before.
    I actually have several pictures I took listing all my successfully set high resolutions, but same settings just wont work now.

I'm using same monitor. this inconsistency must relate to drivers and/or v.card.
    so all my testings seem worthless now. especially for an unsupported "feature".

however I do have my GTX570 sitting around, maybe I'll push it in before selling, just to make sure driver is the problem here, not my precious GTX680. :wanker:

19. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    That's a known driver bug. Above 2560 it no longer downsamples to desktop res. Let's hope this is solved in the next WHQL.

20. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Interesting comments. I also find it funny to play with all these clock settings if the image sent to the monitor is still 1080p.

My GTX680 can send the 2560x1440 to my Samsung LN46D630.

Do I understand it is not worth trying higher res than 1440p with the current drivers?

To OP, great guide man. It took me a while to figure out why you kept 1123 vertical pixel if you could go down to 1104. But then I read one of the last paragraph where you explained it.